By Codeux Software, LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Textual is the world's most popular application for interacting with Internet Relay Chat (IRC) chatrooms on OS X.
First appearing in 2010, Textual has since evolved and matured into the top IRC client for OS X; relied on and trusted by thousands of people.
• Textual includes two elegantly designed dark and light variants of the user interface which have been refined all the way down to the very last pixel.
Powerful, yet lightweight
• Textual supports very powerful modern technologies such as native IPv6, the latest IRCv3 specifications, client-side certificate authentication, and much, much more in an easy to navigate, clutter free environment.
Privacy is valued
• Textual protects your privacy by leveraging widely accepted, proven technologies such as Off-the-Record Messaging (OTR) to ensure that the only people reading your conversations are those that you intend to.
• Textual takes customization to the next level with styles created using well documented, open web standards in addition to addons built using a multitude of programming languages such as AppleScript, Objective-C, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, and Swift.
Textual also includes…
• Multi-channel selection
• Quick navigation using fuzzy searching
• Inline nickname colorization
• Rich array of keyboard shortcuts
• iCloud support for syncing connections and preferences
• Address Book for tracking when friends are online & offline
• Powerful, customizable, rule-based ignore matching
• Inline media embedding (Show images inline with chat)
• Auto-Completion for nicknames, commands, and channels
• Growl and native Notification Center support
• Bold, color, italic, and underline text formatting
• Built in support for converting text emoticons to emojis
• Powerful ZNC integration for power users
• Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
• SOCKS4, SOCKS5, and HTTP proxy support (with or without SSL)
• Support for sending self-signed certificates for authentication
• Support for validating and specifying trust for untrusted certificates
…and much, much more!
See https://www.codeux.com/ for more information
What's New in Version 6.0.9
Thank you everybody for your patience while some issues were ironed out of Textual 6. This is hopefully the last stability update that is required while some exciting features are worked on, such as a Buddy List and per-server/per-channel notification controls.
• If the preference “Wait for identification before joining channels” is enabled and a message requesting identification is not received within one minute of connecting, a warning is now displayed to the end user.
• Fixed a crash that may occur when the escape key is pressed.
• Fixed a crash that may occur when syncing a custom style using iCloud.
• Fixed a CPU spike that may occur when fading in messages from previous session.
• Fixed dates received from the ZNC bouncer not being parsed correctly depending on locale.
STILL The Best IRC client for your Mac.
Hands down the best IRC client for macOS. I was really hoping it would come back to the app store. I have been using this app for a few years now and love it. There is only 1 complaint I have.. call me old school but this client only works with ZNC and not the older BNC. Other then that it uses very little ram, looks beautiful, and performs well. It also hosts many addtions i cannot live without now; like enryption and encrypted privated messages as well as SSL and secure DDC, intergrates with tor (even though i do not use it), and has O:Line commands built in (these are all native). You can also write you own snippets of code in ruby, python, perl, etc and use them as plugins to perform whatever tasks you’d like. All in all a great client. I purchased this 2-3 years ago and will continue to donate to Codeux so they will keep up with their great work. If you want a simple client try Limechat, but if you want a robust chat cient with limitless scripting options and good encryption Textual is for you.
** Update  from 6.02 to 6.09 The above was written about 5-6 months ago (updated today March 6, 2017) not when Textual came back to the app store. I didn’t realize it would save my review after not sending it. Anyway.. this update is good and Textual is still by far and away the best IRC client for macOS. WITH THAT BEING SAID. When it comes to the the new build [6.0.2] when changing between channels I notice some kind of flickering and screen lag. The only other complaint is this; I CAN NOT turn off the iCloud sharing option. I have turned it off every way possible, deleted the files and yet Textual still creates a file in iCloud. If someone knows how to kill that I’d love to know. Again this is me just knitpicking though, really when I have a fresh mac install Textual is one of the FIRST if not the first application I install. Great app and please keep up the great work.
Codeux please read.. The BNC problem has been fixed. I now have no issue while using BNC. Previously while trying to use BNC (maybe 1 year ago). I simply couldnt connect when trying to use BNC. So happy that’s fixed. I’m also VERY happy the issue with the flickering and screen lagging has been fixed. I will continue to donate. This is an amazing project. If you guys have the rackspace you should offer your own kind of ZNC service like irccloud does. I would definitly pay for an additional “premium” service like that.