Textual is the world's most popular application for interacting with Internet Relay Chat (IRC) chatrooms on OS X.
First appearing in 2010, Textual has since evolved and matured into the top IRC client for OS X; relied on and trusted by thousands of people.
• Textual includes two elegantly designed dark and light variants of the user interface which have been refined all the way down to the very last pixel.
• Textual supports very powerful modern technologies such as native IPv6, the latest IRCv3 specifications, client-side certificate authentication, and much, much more in an easy to navigate, clutter free environment.
Privacy is valued
• Textual protects your privacy by leveraging widely accepted, proven technologies such as Off-the-Record Messaging (OTR) to ensure that the only people reading your conversations are those that you intend to.
• Textual takes customization to the next level with styles created using well documented, open web standards in addition to addons built using a multitude of programming languages such as AppleScript, Objective-C, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, and Swift.
Textual also includes…
• Address Book for tracking when friends are online & offline
• Auto-completion for nicknames, commands, and channels
• Bold, color, italic, and underline text formatting
• Built in support for converting text emoticons to emojis
• Growl and native Notification Center support
• Inline media embedding (Show images inline with chat)
• Inline nickname colorization
• Per-channel notification controls
• Powerful ZNC integration for power users
• Powerful filters that can perform commands in response to input
• Powerful, customizable, rule-based ignore matching
• Quick navigation using fuzzy searching
• Rich array of keyboard shortcuts
• SOCKS4, SOCKS5, and HTTP proxy support (with or without SSL)
• Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
• Support for sending self-signed certificates for authentication
• Support for validating and specifying trust for untrusted certificates
• Viewing multiple channels at the same time
• iCloud support for syncing connections and preferences
…and much, much more!
See https://www.codeux.com/ for more information
The entire user interface of Textual, from the smallest window to the largest, has been refined to take full advantage of the dark appearance of macOS Mojave.
Additionally, Textual can now be configured to automatically inherit your Mac's appearance to avoid the unnecessary burden of changing it in two places. To do this, change the “Main window appearance” preference in the Interface section of Preferences to “Your Mac's Default”. This is the default for new installations. Existing installations will default to the appearance that was configured before upgrading to macOS Mojave.
A new way for apps to establish connections, referred to by Textual as “modern sockets”, is available in macOS Mojave. When conditions are right, Textual will use this to connect to IRC.
Modern sockets can't be configured to prefer IPv4. To accommodate users that want this behavior, the “Prefer IPv4” preference has been replaced with a preference to enable only IPv4, only IPv6, or enable both. Users that had the old preference enabled will be automatically migrated to only IPv4.
See the Network Socket section of Server Properties.
An indicator now appears in the scrollback when the day changes.
This indicator can be toggled in the Style section of Preferences.
• [ADDED]: Added spoiler formatting option which is compatible with other apps.
• [ADDED]: Added support for chghost capability.
• [ADDED]: Added “:thinking:” to the Smiley Converter addon. (Thanks Perry)
• [ADDED]: Added preference to the Flood Control section of Preferences that can used to add a delay before automatically joining channels. This preference defaults to no delay.
• [ADDED]: Added support for color codes 16 through 98. Click “More…” in the color formatting menu to access these colors.
• [ADDED]: Added inline image support for speedtest.net results.
• [CHANGED]: Tweaked the appearance of the application icon.
• [CHANGED]: Errors in Server Properties, Channel Properties, and related windows are now much more descriptive.
• [CHANGED]: The command “/cs deop” and other variations no longer auto corrects to “/cs drop”
• [CHANGED]: Simplified some menus to make them easier to navigate.
• [CHANGED]: Log files are now automatically closed after 20 minutes of inactivity.
• [CHANGED]: Log files are now automatically closed if there isn't enough space available for them. You will be alerted of this.
• [CHANGED]: File transfers are now automatically stopped if there isn't enough space available at the save location.
• [CHANGED]: The “lagcheck” and “mylag” commands now work regardless of whether automatic Client-to-Client Protocol (CTCP) responses are enabled.
• [CHANGED]: The channel quick select window is now detached from the main window. It can be dragged around and will remain on screen until escape is pressed.
• [CHANGED]: The following RPL_ISUPPORT configuration options are now correctly handled: AWAYLEN, EXCEPTS, INVEX, KEYLEN, KICKLEN, STATUSMSG, and TOPICLEN.
• [FIXED]: Fixed the “clearall” command not working correctly.
• [FIXED]: Fixed the “conn” command not working correctly.
• [FIXED]: Fixed running timers not being stopped when disconnected from IRC.
• [FIXED]: Fixed incorrect implementation of RPL_REDIR.
• [FIXED]: Fixed a crash that may occur when using the “keyx” command.
• [FIXED]: Fixed Preferences window reopening at incorrect location on screen.
• [FIXED]: Fixed some alerts not displaying a “Do not show this again” option when they are supposed to.
See textualapp.com/changes for history of changes.
Ratings and Reviews
Paid for License - No Response
I recently found this application and thought it has some really good features. I wanted to get back into some IRC stuff, so figured what the heck, it’s only 8 bucks. I paid for it and the payment processed, I got a confirmation screen stating that I would recieve an e-mail in 5-10 minutes (that was 5 days ago). I e-mailed support - no reponse. I decided to join their support channel on IRC and explained my issue. No response from support stafff for channel moderators. A channel member did respond and say that unless I had heard back from certain invidivuals, to just e-mail them. I told him I had already done that. I submitted another support question via their automated form - no reponse. Today (5 days later) I have sent another e-mail. I’m highly dissapointed with the lack of customer service and the fact that they now have my money and have not been able to provide something as simple as a license key….
Just real good stuff, guys.
You pay 7.99 and you keep getting told that you're still under the trail period and that you have to pay for it.
I wrote tech support 3 times and the first time all i got was a lousy response "did you try uninstalling it and reinstalling it" even though in the email i stated that i did. Never heard from them again.. DON'T BUY THIS PROGRAM!!! they are ripping you off and zero support!!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.