Textual is the world's most popular application for interacting with Internet Relay Chat (IRC) chatrooms on OS X.
First appearing in 2010, Textual has since evolved and matured into the top IRC client for OS X; relied on and trusted by thousands of people.
• Textual includes two elegantly designed dark and light variants of the user interface which have been refined all the way down to the very last pixel.
• Textual supports very powerful modern technologies such as native IPv6, the latest IRCv3 specifications, client-side certificate authentication, and much, much more in an easy to navigate, clutter free environment.
Privacy is valued
• Textual protects your privacy by leveraging widely accepted, proven technologies such as Off-the-Record Messaging (OTR) to ensure that the only people reading your conversations are those that you intend to.
• Textual takes customization to the next level with styles created using well documented, open web standards in addition to addons built using a multitude of programming languages such as AppleScript, Objective-C, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, and Swift.
Textual also includes…
• Address Book for tracking when friends are online & offline
• Auto-completion for nicknames, commands, and channels
• Bold, color, italic, and underline text formatting
• Built in support for converting text emoticons to emojis
• Growl and native Notification Center support
• Inline media embedding (Show images inline with chat)
• Inline nickname colorization
• Per-channel notification controls
• Powerful ZNC integration for power users
• Powerful filters that can perform commands in response to input
• Powerful, customizable, rule-based ignore matching
• Quick navigation using fuzzy searching
• Rich array of keyboard shortcuts
• SOCKS4, SOCKS5, and HTTP proxy support (with or without SSL)
• Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
• Support for sending self-signed certificates for authentication
• Support for validating and specifying trust for untrusted certificates
• Viewing multiple channels at the same time
• iCloud support for syncing connections and preferences
…and much, much more!
See https://www.codeux.com/ for more information
• [CHANGED]: The confirmation dialog for quitting Textual no longer appears unless you are connected to IRC.
• [CHANGED]: Any file that is executable will now be treated as a script instead of files with specific extensions.
• [CHANGED]: The NICKLEN configuration option of RPL_ISUPPORT is no longer enforced due to significant compatibility issues.
• [CHANGED]: Styles bundled with Textual now declare the supported-color-schemes property to define the appearance of scrollbars on versions of macOS that support it.
• [FIXED]: Fixed trust dialog for invalid certificates not appearing when one is encountered.
See textualapp.com/changes for history of changes.
Ratings and Reviews
Paid for License - No Response
I recently found this application and thought it has some really good features. I wanted to get back into some IRC stuff, so figured what the heck, it’s only 8 bucks. I paid for it and the payment processed, I got a confirmation screen stating that I would recieve an e-mail in 5-10 minutes (that was 5 days ago). I e-mailed support - no reponse. I decided to join their support channel on IRC and explained my issue. No response from support stafff for channel moderators. A channel member did respond and say that unless I had heard back from certain invidivuals, to just e-mail them. I told him I had already done that. I submitted another support question via their automated form - no reponse. Today (5 days later) I have sent another e-mail. I’m highly dissapointed with the lack of customer service and the fact that they now have my money and have not been able to provide something as simple as a license key….
A few concerns
I have enjoyed textual, it logs nicely, it does what I want it to, it does not leave gaps with the logs. It adds some color to IRC, it's really a nice program.
Sadly, it seems they no longer are truly supporting it. :(
I wrote, asking questions and have not received a response. Then I hear it has to have the license key sent from them? I think I'll wait until I get a response before I purchase.
It is not free, they expect you to purchase it, or it becomes nag ware, truly nag wear by disconnecting you, having a ffield that says you've not paid and other things, very naggy and makes me like it less. :/ Sadly, it seems to be one of the better irc handlers for the mac. Maybe I'll find another and then wont need to work with this one, which seems abandonned by it's creators?
Two stars, because while I'm not all picky about updates, I do feel the developer should be available especially with nag ware. I think the price is semi reasonable, but, if it doesn't remove the nag items, it's not worth me paying it. I won't be wasting money for a program which nags and yet doesn't let you get away from the nag with license entry,
Just real good stuff, guys.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.