• The ePaper is a full replica edition including articles and pages as they appeared in print, including the Sunday Comics.
• The ePaper is free for Boston Globe digital subscribers and many print subscribers. Simply sign-in using your BostonGlobe.com account.
• To connect your BostonGlobe.com account, enter your Boston Globe account information on the Subscriber Login page.
• One-month subscriptions are available for $29.99 per month. One-month subscriptions automatically renew at $29.99 per month until cancelled*
• Read stories in the Page view or Article view.
• Share articles via email and social media.
• Recent back issues are available for download from the archive by tapping or swiping "Archive".
*Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to Account Settings after purchase. No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Complete redesign including the features most requested by Globe ePaper subscribers. Fixed an issue causing some pages to crash while zooming. Addressed a problem with printing the crossword and puzzles. Users can now bookmark pages for later reading.
*Saved editions will have to be re-downloaded with this update.
Ratings and Reviews
Has its points, but a few things need tweaking
I got this updated version when I got a new iPad with iOS 8, and the old version wasn't supported. It took a ridiculously long time to get it to download, couldn't give it a pw, blank screen, etc., etc. the reviews really stunk and I was beginning to think that if I wanted the Globe on an iPad I'd need to keep the old one.
Somehow, though, it did work, and then the fun began. At first I had the devil's own time getting the virtual newspaper, because I believe in seeing all of it and not just lists of articles and links. You get more serendipitous finds that way. But finally, there it was. Then I had to convince the app to give me the dang paper every day. That was a bit of an adventure, too.
So I have my virtual paper, can swipe thru it with ease, and enlarge the view fine. The problem is that the ability to click on the link to the jump (and back) is gone. I finally figured out that you have to pull down the top of the window, select the page where the jump is, and then reverse the process to go back. Seamless jump-finding is gone. Why they would add an extra step to an "upgrade" is baffling.
But you get used to it, I guess. The click-to-email-this still works. I haven't figured out how to remove past issues from the iPad yet, so perhaps some bright guy will give us a way to get online help for questions like these. So... Three stars and pending.
Today I updated my Globe app with much trepidation. Based on the reviews, I assumed it would be more of the same disappointing performance. While there are flaws, my Sunday paper downloaded promptly. I am able to get both the magazine and Parade. Thank you! I am able to enlarge the print on my tablet, and read an article in full. I do prefer being able to scroll through the sections above the paper, while being able to look at snapshots of the page, but I will adjust.
I recently got a new iPad, so I imagine that helps. For now, I hope the epaper will be reliable and as functional as it was today. I cautiously appreciate the improvements, Boston Globe and want to make sure you do not just receive negative feedback.
I'm dismayed. I love the Boston Globe but struggle with the epaper version. Now we are told we have no choice but to update to version 5.0 even though the reviews are consistently poor. I have upgraded my iPad operating system and done everything that I had been advised to do. I changed tablets. My paper still doesn't automatically download and I have difficult opening the. Sunday paper version (after it has downloaded). Still no magazine! Is this a push to subscribe to the New York Times instead?? Please let us know when we can expect better service.
WAY more clicking, too much clicking, oh, the clicking!
I know that it takes a lot of work to update an app, and I appreciate all that hard work. Also, I know that people "just want it the way it was before"… And I guess I am one of those people in this instance.
If you could do two things that would make this Globe reader instantly better, it would be these:
1) give me an option of having a page automatically be properly sized to my device, all of this widening and shrinking of the article/page is driving me crazy. If this option is already available somewhere, and I just haven't found it yet, can you please put up some kind of tutorial to help me?
2) the most important one is to have a link at the end of an article that I can click on to bring me to where it continues in the paper; in other words, at the end of an article on page 1 there used to be a link to click on so that I could continue reading in a streamlined fashion; but in the new version, there is no link and I have to go back into the menu and scroll through to find that article. Please, please help!
I think you need to think about who your audience is, we are are not 16-year-old digital natives who intuitively understand scrolling, tapping, etc. This new app makes me feel old and cranky, and I know that that is not what you guys are going for. Thanks for your help!
- Globe Newspaper Company, Inc.
- 54.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Finnish, French, German, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © Boston Globe Media Partners, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Boston Globe $29.99
- Boston Globe Single Copy $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.