The Boston Globe ePaper
By Globe Newspaper Company, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The ePaper is a full replica edition, including every article, and page as it appeared in print, including the Sunday Comics.
For a more traditional digital experience, try our new Boston Globe iPhone app also available in the iTunes store.
• The ePaper is free for Boston Globe print or digital subscribers. Simply sign-in using your BostonGlobe.com account.(See details below.)
• In iOS 5, Newsstand will automatically download each day's edition to your device by 6 a.m. To enable this please allow 'Push Notifications' and turn on 'Auto-Download' within the app.
• Single issues can be purchased for $0.99 without a subscription.
• One-click in-app subscriptions are available for $14.99 a month.
• Read stories in the replica 'Page View' or as text and photos in 'SmartFlow' view.
• Web links and phone numbers are clickable in articles and advertisements.
• Share articles via email, Facebook or Twitter.
• Listen to individual stories, or the full paper via a text-to-speech option.
• Recent back issues are available for downloading.
• To connect your BostonGlobe.com account to the iPhone app:
Click on "Settings"at the bottom of the page
Click on "Preview"
Enter your BostonGlobe.com account info
• To connect your BostonGlobe.com account to the iPad app:
Click on "Authorize" at the top of the page
Enter your BostonGlobe.com account info
What's New in Version 3.2.1
If working, great. If not working, it'll be weeks before a fix.
Generally the app is great. No, auto download doesn't often work but it is usually a quick process to download the day's issue. The paper looks great. I wish I could save an article to PDF but understand why the Globe might not want that. My biggest beef is that when something goes wrong (and it is at least once a year), it takes FOREVER to fix. Last year, it was a problem with the text being blurry. Now, it is a problem connecting to the store. I can't get to the store to download new issues, or if I do connect to the store downloads are incredibly slow. It is past noon and I haven't been able to get today's issue yet. This is one of the few apps that I use everyday but it is not as reliable as I would like.
The experience of having the full appear right in front of you is great. You can read the paper in the format and layout of the actual newspaper or you can click on a link to a new window with the feel of a web page. But many times this second option does not work smoothly, with the page either not opening or leaving me unable to view the entire article. For the last two days I have been unable to download any paper. And this app is a beast. It can take up more than a gigabyte of storage, even if you only have only 2-3 newspapers store. This as potential to be a great app, but the programmers have their homework cut out for them. And given that it costs about $4/week to get the paper, they are not doing us any favors.
I want to like this, but . . .
I am a fan of The Globe. I thoroughly enjoy the newspaper and have been reading it for years in paper format. I have been switching all of the publications that I read from print to virtual. I have tried to do the same with The Globe. I have subscribed to the epaper Globe for over 12 months. When this app works, it is terrific. Has the look and feel of the print edition, plus many helpful electronic features. Unfortunately, this app has difficulty reliably downloading content If this happened once per month, I would understand. However, it happens once or twice each week. Thus, I give it three stars. I sincerely hope that they fix the technical glitches. At that time, this is a five star.
- Category: News
- Updated: Nov 01, 2013
- Version: 3.2.1
- Size: 14.7 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, French, German, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Globe Newspaper Company, Inc.
- © The Globe Newspaper Co. 2012
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Boston Globe Single Copy$0.99
- Boston Globe$14.99