Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Brainstormer is kindling for creative minds. A tactile tool to randomly combine a plot, a subject and a setting or style, the Brainstormer provides a moment of inspiration for writers, painters, or any creative mind. Combat creative block, spark new ideas and summon up quick subjects for doodling, sketching or journaling.
The Brainstormer has three spinning wheels featuring plot/conflict, theme/setting and subject/location. By manipulating the wheels -- or do a random spin -- you generate combinations that make fantastic creative prompts for writing, sketching or any creative activity. Edit the wheels: tweak the built in lists or create entirely new scenarios from scratch.
NEW! More Wheels! The NEW Character Builder wheel combines of archetypes attributes and backgrounds, and the World Builder combines theme, mood and place to create one-of-a-kind settings.
LOVE FOR THE BRAINSTORMER
"The Brainstormer is a very attractive app that spins wheel to randomly combine plots, subjects, and styles. It's great for quick prompts or a new impulse."
-- Jurgen Fauth, Huffington Post
"The Brainstormer app provides a cornucopia of ideas for creative minds"
-- Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW
"Next time you're fresh out of ideas, give the wheels of Brainstormer a spin."
-- Mike Rankin, CreativePro.com
• Time-tested and artist-proven, featuring the carefully curated ‘Classic Brainstormer’ lists.
• Circular ‘Wheel Mode’ and linear ‘Slot Machine’ mode provides two views into the nearly endless combinations.
• Shake your phone or roll the dice for “Random Spin”.
• Lock any of the wheels to fine tune your spins.
• Fully editable: Tweak the ‘Classic Brainstormer’ or create your own wheels entirely.
• Character Builder and World Builder wheel. NEW!
• Found the perfect combination? Send it via email or share it on Twitter and Facebook.
Like us on Facebook for News and Updates, and be the first to know about promos and new features!
Original Concept, all Art and Design by Andrew Bosley
Software Development by Joel Davis
What's New in Version 1.4.1
v1.4.1 Now display user wheels from original Brainstormer
v1.4.0 MAJOR UPDATE -- iPad and Retina support!
- More wheels to choose from, including Character Creator and World Builder
- You can Lock Wheels now to fine tune your random spins
- Much improved editing of custom wheels
- Redesigned interface
Good, but it could be better.
The app is a really good creative tool to connect randomly ideas and concepts. The in app purchase extra wheels are nice, but not needed if you can create your own. And creating your own wheels, is the crowning jewel, and the Achilles heel of this app. The problem is that you can't export your custom wheels. That means if you have to erase or change device you are out of luck. You will loose your work. It would be nice to share wheels with other users and since the app only offers two additional for sale, this is really discouraging for power users. I'd be willing to pay for a pro edition that allows users to do this. Another flaw is, the only way to add a list to the wheels is by typing each and every single item, row by row. It would be nice to be able to import text files, as well to be able to edit, copy and paste multiple items at the same time. As it is is very frustrating that you can't easily correct the order of items on the lists.
Interesting pricing model.
I just bought this app and was extremely annoyed to find that so many of the generators are sold separately -- contrary to how they appear in the screenshot. Also, I've not been able to find a way to turn off the sound effects. I've even set my master iPad volume to zero and somehow I'm still hearing the sound of the dice?! The gear icon is a bit misleading as it doesn't bring you to app settings, where I expected to change this, but to the additional generators.
Otherwise the main generator is attractive and does what it says, but I really wish I hadn't paid $1.99 for just that. Perhaps it's just me, but I expect the possibility of in-app purchases in a free app, not one that I've already paid for. I'm surprised the other all 5-star reviews, if not shills, haven't mentioned this.
Some constructive feedback
I love this app. well OK, i love the concept of this app, the execution is very close but needs some interface improvements. I really really want to rate this 5 stars, and will definitely up my rating when a few interface issues are addressed:
1. PLEASE let this app be rotated to use in either portrait or landscape mode
2. When creating custom lists it would be so easy if we could copy paste a list into the generator instead of having to type each into a separate field
3. If the above can not happen for some reason(please just let the above happen!!) then you need to adjust the type window so that 1. You can always see the line you are typing in above the keyboard, and 2. Pressing enter on the type pad will bring you to the next box to put in another entry, instead of the "done" button which brings you back to the whole list.
Those fixes would make this app infinitely more user friendly! And it would surely be worth 5 stars and even more than you are currently charging for it.
Please make these updates as I very much love the app!
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jan 06, 2013
- Version: 1.4.1
- Size: 10.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Joel Davis
- © Copyright 2010 Tapnik
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Character Creator$0.99
- World Builder$0.99