The Cost of Dying
By MediaNews Group
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
What's a "good death," and how can you ensure one for yourself and your loved ones? The Bay Area News Group's Cost of Dying app contains the essential information you need to confront end-of-life issues ranging from making medical decisions to avoiding needless expenditures to spending your final days in comfort. Based on the personal story of a San Jose Mercury News reporter and incorporating poignant stories from readers, the app includes interactive graphics and videos and offers these features:
• A look at hospice and palliative care programs that make it possible to die at home
• An interactive journey through the legal forms that ensure decisions at the end of your life will be made according to your wishes
• An exploration of the pros and cons of one of the most controversial means of prolonging life, the feeding tube
• A look at the challenges and rewards of caring for critically ill loved ones
• Personal stories from people who explain how they and their loved ones took control of their final days
• An analysis of data showing which California hospitals hold down costs at the end of life
Hundreds of readers have credited the Cost of Dying series with easing their decision making at one of life's most critical times. The Association of Health Care Journalists recently honored the Cost of Dying series with a first place in Consumer/Feature coverage for large newspapers.
What's New in Version 1.0.11
Corrects time references throughout the articles since the story was written last year. Now includes advertisements.
Very important topic
I just finished reading the entire series, and my first action is to urge you to do the same! I highly recommend reading - and sharing - these articles and the related information with everyone who matters to you. ~ J.M. Registered Nurse