A movie lover’s dream, the Criterion Channel offers classics and discoveries from around the world, thematically programmed with special features, on a streaming service brought to you by the Criterion Collection.
With constantly refreshed selections of Hollywood, international, art-house, and independent movies, plus access to Criterion’s entire streaming library of more than 1,000 important classic and contemporary films, there’s something new to choose from every day of the week on the Criterion Channel. Start with Sunday Spotlights on directors, stars, genres, and themes; Tuesday’s Short + Feature; or the Friday double bill. Try out our 15-minute-a-month film school, Observations on Film Art, or choose from suggestions by friends like Barry Jenkins, Guillermo del Toro, or Mira Nair. Go deep with the Criterion Collection’s archive of special features for context that no other service can match.
- The Criterion Collection’s streaming library, including many complete editions released on Blu-ray and DVD, as well as unreleased titles
- Ongoing programs of Hollywood, international, art-house, independent, documentary, and short films, including thematic programming, director and star retrospectives, and guest-curated series
- Original Criterion Channel series such as Observations on Film Art, Adventures in Moviegoing, and Art-House America
- Supplemental features to deepen your appreciation of the art of film, including audio commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, scholarly analyses, introductions, new and archival interviews, and trailers
To access all features and content you can subscribe to The Criterion Channel on a monthly or yearly basis with an auto-renewing subscription right inside the app.* Pricing can vary by region and will be confirmed before purchase in the app. In app subscriptions will automatically renew at the end of their cycle.
* All payments will be paid through your iTunes Account and may be managed under Account Settings after the initial payment. Subscription payments will automatically renew unless deactivated at least 24-hours before the end of the current cycle. Your account will be charged for renewal at least 24-hours prior to the end of the current cycle. Any unused portion of your free trial will be forfeited upon payment. Cancellations are incurred by disabling auto-renewal.
Terms of Service: https://criterionchannel.vhx.tv/tos
This release includes:
• Chromecast support (some limitations may still apply depending on your device)
• Airplay adjustments
• Improved download manager & offline sync
• UX improvements
Ratings and Reviews
My favorite streaming service ever
This is the best streaming service I’ve ever used. I’ve already watched 17 movies on it so far and I haven’t seen a single bad one yet. I like the way the movies are organized, with tons of different sub categories, and I love that most of the movies come with interviews and other supplementary material, but I do wish it had way more search options available than it does, because I’ve had to use third party sources, like a Letterboxd list that displays all of the service’s available movies, in order to find things I want to watch. I’d also appreciate some kind of rating system and a suggestion feed. But neither of those are enough to hinder my enjoyment of this service overall, as it contains a bunch of incredible movies that are difficult to locate.
The service itself has also been consistently smooth. I’ve used it on three different devices so far without any issues, which is impressive for any service this early in its life.
I’ve been waiting a long time for something like this!
A ways back I reached an inflection point in my film journey. I had seen many of the classic and well regarded American films that make up so many film lost (The Godfather, Chinatown, Citizen Kane) and I struggled to find new interesting movies, at the same time that services like Netflix made a disappointing shift to producing low quality, disposable films. Even when I would find list of good movies I had not seen, it then became a huge challenge to find where to watch them. The criterion channel solves all of this. There are great, obscure, and interesting movies on here, that are easy to find, save to your list, and then consume at your leisure. Every time I open the app I am confident that the film I watch will at the very least be interesting, and I can consume it with ease, the way I want to (on my phone, tv, or laptop.) This app has revitalized my interest in movies.
Magnificent films, but the app could be more user friendly
I am delighted with the content and streaming quality, though I have not attempted to download content for offline viewing, so I can’t really speak to the app’s functionality there. I give the app 4 stars instead of 5 only because I can’t stream on my Smart TVs and because the app’s search function could be more user friendly. At present, the search box is too unforgiving of spelling errors or omitted accent marks—a search for “Luis Banuel” yields nothing; the app insists it be spelled “Luis Bañuel,” so I have to either download a Spanish keyboard onto my iPad or copy and paste the name from Wikipedia or something. “First world problems,” I know, but still kind of a pain. And lord help you if you don’t know how to spell Krzysztof Kieslowski (oops, that should be Kieślowski! 😉). Some predictive text functionality would go a long way toward fixing these problems. All around great app, though. Really enjoying the content.
- The Criterion Collection, Inc.
- 109.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2019 The Criterion Collection, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Criterion Channel Subscription $10.99
- Criterion Channel Subscription $99.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.