The Daily Beast App
By The Daily Beast Company LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Daily Beast's original reporting and sharp opinion, now available in a custom application as irreverently intelligent as our journalism:
* Every story is served up with two choices: read it or skip it. The more you use it, the smarter it gets.
* Rather than only showing you trending stories, we use your reads and skips to “Nudge” you toward stories you’ll love.
* See interesting stats about your reading behavior in "YOUR STATS".
* Follow an author to be the first to know when they publish a new story.
* Follow a topic to have its new stories highlighted in your feed.
What's New in Version 2.5.1
Updates to new video player.
WORST NEWS APP EVER
A few years back I downloaded this and hated it on such a visceral level, I just accessed the site through the web. Now I thought I would try again. All I can say is I hate this app on a level I can't even describe. The problem is it's not laid out in a user-friendly manner. It just totally feels wrong across the board - like driving on the wrong side of the street or putting your left shoe on your right foot.
Why haven't they ever changed the app? Anyway, after 10 minutes I deleted the app and went back to web access.
Consistently poor performance
I tolerate this app as I love the content of the site. But only barely... The performance is just awful. It's slow to load and if you aren't careful with your scrolling, the app locks up while it's reloading. Actually, it locks up even if you *are* careful as the developer(s) simply have never figured out how to load / refresh material in the background while allowing you to keep reading a story in the foreground.
Come on Daily Beast - you should be embarrassed by this. Get it fixed!
Poor Design and Performance
Two miserable aspects of this app are the performance and the design. The refresh function for this news app takes so long to complete you would think the app was hacked. Most apps refresh when you tap the top of the page but this app shows you an irrelevant display of 'Your Stats'. It is a standout poor design.