From critically acclaimed storytelling and photography, to rich-media videos, we not only deliver the news, but completely immerse you in it. With our local-to-national coverage, add news stories happening right in your own communities.
• NEWS: Browse or search for national, local and most popular stories to keep you connected.
• NEWS ALERTS: Get news as it breaks by opting in for push notifications on News, Sports, Life, Money or Tech. Rich notifications allow you to get an article preview, save and share from your lock screen.
• WEATHER: Be prepared with live weather information from hourly to 10-day forecasts. Enable location services to customize local weather news and other location-based services. (Continued use of GPS running in background can decrease battery life.)
• SCORES: Get the latest NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, NCAA Football & Basketball scores as well as news from the worlds of Golf, NASCAR, IndyCar, UFC, Fantasy Sports and more.
• SAVED STORIES: Save your favorite stories to read later.
• NIGHT MODE: Enable this feature to view the app using a black background and white text.
• WIDGET: Get a quick update on the latest headlines from your Home and Lock screen! No time to read the full story? Tap the bookmark icon to save for later.
• iPAD PRO ENHANCED: Experience our captivating photography and stories in full screen or multitasking mode.
AD-FREE SUBSCRIPTION OPTION:
Subscribe today and experience great storytelling with no ads. Purchase an ad free subscription for $2.99/month with a 2 week free trial.
Subscriptions are charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and automatically renew each month or year, unless turned off in your iTunes account settings at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
Terms of Service: http://static.detroitnews.com/terms/
TELL US WHAT YOU THINK:
Our app features are constantly being improved based on your feedback, so we welcome you to tell us what you love and what you’d like to see more (or less) of. Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @usatodaymobile. For additional information, please visit http://www.usatoday.com/mobile-apps.
• We've changed how photos display in the app. Update to receive the best experience possible, as previous versions won't support these changes.
Ratings and Reviews
Detroit News - great info, lame videos
I enjoy much of what the Detroit News has to offer. Breaking news, local issues, MSU sports and auto news. One thing that is becoming to the level of annoying is the attempted use of video. DN your a news paper - you do that well. While you are likely trying to make your app and site more ‘engaging’ with video -much of it seems to be nothing more than iPhone videos of press Confrence or attempted ‘sports shows’. When I’m checking in I just want the news, read what interests me and then I move on.
Great App but need to improve picture viewing
I have used the detnews app for at least 8 years. It’s great for keeping up with my home town. Especially my sports teams. I live in Chicago now.
Only suggestion I have: please let me expand the view of the photographs that show up with the title of the article. Or add them again in the article itself. It’s disappointing sometimes when I can’t inspect those photos more closely. I use an IPhone. Perhaps that makes a difference.
Fair and balanced
Unlike Detroit's other daily, the Free Press, which is a liberal cesspool of racist and uneducated writers, the News gives a fairly accurate portrayal of events, without the typical liberal bias. They are sometimes hard on republicans, which is refreshing, especially when they deserve it. If you're only going to sign up for one paper to get Detroit's news, the News is it.
- 120.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Gannett Co., Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Ad-Free Monthly $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.