The Difficult Airway App
By Airway Management Education Center
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Created by Ron M. Walls, MD, Michael F. Murphy, MD and Robert C. Luten, MD. With updates by Calvin A. Brown III.
The Difficult Airway App™ is an essential tool for clinicians who manage emergency airways in any setting: the ED, ICU, in-patient unit or the many EMS practice environments.
The right drugs, the right doses, the right way!
This app rapidly and easily selects the right drugs for RSI, automatically adjusting for obesity and hemodynamics. Pediatric dosing and equipment selection is a snap using the Broselow-Luten color system or the child's estimated weight.
Stay out of trouble! The Difficult Airway App™ guides the user quickly and easily through key algorithms, predictors of the difficult airway and the step-by-step approach to RSI taught in The Difficult Airway Course: Emergency™.
Based on the standard-setting work in the field of airway Management of:
Ron M. Walls, MD, Vice President and COO
Brigham and Women's Health Care
Harvard Medical School
Michael F. Murphy, MD, Professor Emeritus and Past Chair
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
University of Alberta
Regional Medical Director
Robert C. Luten, MD, Professor
Pediatrics and Emergency Medicine
University of Florida Health Sciences Center
The Difficult Airway App™ features:
Easy, yet Sophisticated Adult and Pediatric Drug Dosing
- For adult dosing, a few simple clicks bring you to recommended doses that incorporate patient weight, body habitus and hemodynamics.
- The pediatric drug dosing function incorporates the color-coded system created by James Broselow, MD and Robert C. Luten, MD for rapid, safe management of pediatric airway cases.
- The option to customize your formulary means that only the drugs you use will appear in the recommendations.
- Straight-forward algorithms allow you to quickly determine the best approach to your patient’s airway.
- Easy mnemonics walk you through predictors of a difficult airway, including difficult laryngoscopy (LEMON), difficult BMV (ROMAN), difficult extraglottic device use (RODS) and difficult cricothyrotomy (SMART).
- Pearls of wisdom, based on evidence and expert opinion, are offered throughout.
Rapid Sequence Intubation
- The 7 – Ps of RSI: a step-by-step guide for adults and children, with notes from the developers of The Difficult Airway Course™.
- Adult and pediatric RSI drug dosing.
- Richly detailed illustrations of the airway anatomy.
- Instructional videos on key topics
- Links to information about The Difficult Airway Courses™ and Airway World™.
What's New in Version 2.1
This revision (along with the previous one) brings The Difficult Airway App™ fully in line with the Walls Manual of Emergency Airway Management, 5th Edition (Brown CA, Sakles JC, Mick NW eds., 2017). The changes in this revision include:
•A minor revision to the Difficult Airway Algorithm
•Removal of vecuronium from the NMBA list in the adult drug dosing calculator
•Clarification that induction agent dosing for “thin to average patients” is based on total body weight
•Improvement to Adult RSI navigation
•The addition of “Flush Rate O₂” to the 7Ps of RSI (Adult)
•The addition of “Consider shoulder roll for infants < 6 months” to the 7Ps of RSI (Pediatric)
•Minor edits to “Tips and Pearls”
•Two new airway anatomy illustrations in Educational Resources