By Zarfhome Software Consulting
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*The Dreamhold* is interactive fiction — a classic text adventure. No graphics! No point-and-click! You type your commands, and read what happens next.
*The Dreamhold* is designed for people who have never played IF before. It introduces the common commands and mindset of text adventures, one step at a time. There’s an extensive help system describing standard IF commands, as well as dynamic hints which pop up whenever you seem to be stuck.
I’ve tried to create a game which rewards many species of adventurer: the inexperienced newcomer, the puzzle-hurdler, the casual tourist, the meticulous explorer, the wild experimenter, the seeker after nuances and implications.
- Fluid interface designed for comfortable typing and reading.
- Full-length puzzle adventure with several optional side quests and hidden endings.
- Text adventure devotees can turn off the tutorials and hints, or play in Expert mode for additional challenge.
- Achievements tracked through Game Center.
- Pop-up palette of commonly used commands.
- Dynamic in-game map, so you don’t have to scribble boxes on a piece of paper.
- Full support for VoiceOver (speech output) and dictation (speech input) on devices that offer these features.
- Yes, really free. Not “free with ads,” not “freemium.” Just free. I want to introduce people to IF, and this game is how I do it.
*The Dreamhold* won the XYZZY Awards for Best Puzzles and Best Use of Medium in 2004. It is also available (for free) on my web site.
(The cover art is based on a photograph by Trey Ratcliff: The Festival of Lights in Lyon (CC by-nc-sa), remixed with images of Mercury and Io.)
What's New in Version 1.0.4
Polished UI for iOS7.
Very well written
This game reminded me of Zork a bit, but I liked this one a little bit better. It wasn't as hard and doing 1 thing wrong didn't completely ruin the whole game. And I like the setting and story significantly better. I like that it's not set somewhere sort of post apocalyptic (I think) and the story is sort of touching.
Good job on this one!
I never write reviews but…
I never write reviews but this is the best game EVER. My friend personally knows Zarf, and she showed me this game. I've been playing it for a few days now, non stop. Please get this game right now. It's free for a LIMITED TIME people. Also, Zarf is my spirit animal. If you want to look him up his real name is Andrew Plotkin but he doesn't like that so please refer to him as Zarf.
I don't normally write reviews...
...but this game is fantastic! The story is well-written, and the puzzles are challenging. It kept me glued to my screen the whole time.
As a first-time IF player, the tutorial and help screen were helpful. Don't be afraid to try this game if you're new to the genre, too.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Dec 21, 2013
- Version: 1.0.4
- Size: 6.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Andrew Plotkin
- © 2012 Zarfhome Software Consulting, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.