The Economist weekly magazine, digital edition
Users on iOS 10.3 or above can explore an expanded version of this app, incorporating daily and weekly updates, along with a morning briefing by searching for ‘The Economist’.
Readers can access their essential global briefing on current affairs, business, finance, economics, science, technology and the arts from The Economist each week.
Download the free app to:
• Enjoy three free articles a week, including the cover leader
• Enjoy the content of the weekly newspaper in an easy-to-use format
• Save articles to read offline later
• Get alerts when the new issue is available along with notifications on cover stories, breaking news and analysis.
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps
• Share articles via e-mail, Twitter and Facebook
• The app presents a great digital native reading experience for readers allowing for font size changes, Night Mode and other convenient user friendly qualities.
In today’s changing world, the one thing that’s certain is uncertainty. Make sense of it all with The Economist.
• Purchase a quarterly subscription to the full edition of The Economist for USD $45.99 or an annual subscription for USD $189.99.
• Subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage auto-renew of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again.
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON IPAD
Simply search for The Economist in the App Store to download the app for free.
Please note that this app requires iOS 8.0 and above. We recommend you update to the latest version of iOS to receive the best possible experience.
• Added introductory pricing
• We hope to have fixed an issue where night mode and text size settings were not preserved across page swipes. Please let us know if you still experience this problem
Ratings and Reviews
Issue with interrupting phone calls or apps
Overall I love this app. The fact that this magazine provides an audio version EVERY week is amazing. I listen while at the gym or watering the yard. Just as I’m finishing one issue, the next one is ready. It’s great! It makes me feel so smart.
That said, the app itself is not without its bugs. The main and most frequently one encountered is the need to crash the app and reboot it if playback is interrupted by a phone call or the action of another app that requires taking over audio output. When going back to this app to restart the audio, the Play button shows the Pause insignia (indicating that audio is actually playing at the moment) and does not react to being pressed. The only way to get it back to normal is to force quit the app.
This has been going on for awhile. I thought it would have been addressed by now. This post is for the benefit of the app developer. Do not let it dissuade you from downloading it.
Updated print edition?
I was interested to read about the recent update to the print edition in light of the fact that the app hasn’t even been updated for iPhone X, which came out over a year ago (the notch covers the text). Also the text size options only range from very large to comically gigantic, and can’t be set to adjust dynamically to the iOS settings. Images and charts are low quality and not interactive like with the New York Times digital edition. Enabling this functionality would be great for their new “Graphic Detail” section which, in its current static form, is completely pointless. Confusingly, some images can be selected and rotated, zoomed in, etc., while others can’t. The iPad version is an unimaginative wall of scrolling text that utterly fails to capture any of the design aesthetic of the magazine. It’s like they literally just copy+pasted it into a text file. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Economist and have been reading it every week since 2006 but they are falling seriously behind in the digital transition.
Great content and analysis, but the app needs to be improved.
I use the app primarily to listen to the articles in my car during my commute. So most of this applies to when the app connects to my car’s stereo via Bluetooth.
Often and all of a sudden, the app becomes unresponsive. Previous versions used to pick up the audio track exactly where I had left it. Now it replays the last article from the beginning, even when there’s only a few seconds left to listen, that is, if it doesn’t completely lose track of where I left it last and reverts to where I left it a session prior to last.
Please fix the app’s use case of audio-via-car-stereo-via-Bluetooth. The Economist is my primary and trusted source of news and analysis, and the audio function (great readers, by the way, particularly when they read the obituaries) turns my commute into valuable time, but it could be much smoother after ridding it of these glitches.
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 24.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2017
- In-App Purchases
- The Economist $39.99
- The Economist $129.99
- Quarterly subscription $45.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.