The Economist weekly magazine, digital edition
Users on iOS 10.3 or above can explore an expanded version of this app, incorporating daily and weekly updates, along with a morning briefing by searching for ‘The Economist’.
Readers can access their essential global briefing on current affairs, business, finance, economics, science, technology and the arts from The Economist each week.
Download the free app to:
• Enjoy three free articles a week, including the cover leader
• Enjoy the content of the weekly newspaper in an easy-to-use format
• Save articles to read offline later
• Get alerts when the new issue is available along with notifications on cover stories, breaking news and analysis.
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps
• Share articles via e-mail, Twitter and Facebook
• The app presents a great digital native reading experience for readers allowing for font size changes, Night Mode and other convenient user friendly qualities.
In today’s changing world, the one thing that’s certain is uncertainty. Make sense of it all with The Economist.
• Purchase a quarterly subscription to the full edition of The Economist for USD $45.99 or an annual subscription for USD $189.99.
• Subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage auto-renew of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again.
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON IPAD
Simply search for The Economist in the App Store to download the app for free.
Please note that this app requires iOS 8.0 and above. We recommend you update to the latest version of iOS to receive the best possible experience.
• Added introductory pricing
• We hope to have fixed an issue where night mode and text size settings were not preserved across page swipes. Please let us know if you still experience this problem
Ratings and Reviews
Great content and analysis, but the app needs to be improved.
I use the app primarily to listen to the articles in my car during my commute. So most of this applies to when the app connects to my car’s stereo via Bluetooth.
Often and all of a sudden, the app becomes unresponsive. Previous versions used to pick up the audio track exactly where I had left it. Now it replays the last article from the beginning, even when there’s only a few seconds left to listen, that is, if it doesn’t completely lose track of where I left it last and reverts to where I left it a session prior to last.
Please fix the app’s use case of audio-via-car-stereo-via-Bluetooth. The Economist is my primary and trusted source of news and analysis, and the audio function (great readers, by the way, particularly when they read the obituaries) turns my commute into valuable time, but it could be much smoother after ridding it of these glitches.
Blank screen and poor audio
I could not read the recent article on Phillip Roth on my iPhone 8. After swiping to the article I could see the page but as soon as I touched the screen to scroll... poof - blank screen. As for the audio, you do your excellent narrators a disservice with the audio player. The volume between passages is all over place. I am constantly adjusting the volume in my car because the introductions are deafeningly loud and the articles are often barely audible. The playback has become more glitchy in recent months with skips and odd repeats of 5-10 second spans of audio. Finally, if we are going to be forced to swipe through ads, at least make it less painful. I have to swipe two or three times to get past the opening ad which does not follow the speed of my swipe. I’m surprised at how irritating this is, but it drives me crazy. In 2016 the app was in much better shape. The quality has been steadily going downhill since then.
Extremely glitch app
This app is a constant source of headaches for me, especially the audio edition.
Frequently and for no apparent reason, issues I had downloaded and were listening to uninstall themselves.
Often, the next story will not load successfully, leaving me with dead air. I have found no clear way to troubleshoot when this happens, I just have to wait until it starts playing again. This is a huge problem when I go off wifi and onto cellular networks. There is apparently no failover. This can be so severe that the, the audio edition out and out does not load sometimes. No amount of restating the app will resolve the problem either. This coupled with a lack of user facing notifications makes for an incredibly frustrating user experience. This is too bad, because the content is easily the best available. If the audio edition would at least fail gracefully, I would probably not be as frustrated as I am with the app.
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 24.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2017
- In-App Purchases
- The Economist $39.99
- The Economist $129.99
- Quarterly subscription $45.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.