The Economist for iPad
By The Economist
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Our app is free to download
• Read or listen to a selection of must-read articles chosen each week by Zanny Minton Beddoes, Editor-in-Chief of The Economist
• Subscribers enjoy full access to each week’s issues and analysis
A smart guide to the forces that shape the future, readers access an essential global briefing on business, finance, economics, science, current affairs, technology and the arts from The Economist each week.
• Read or listen to each week’s full issue from Thursday 4pm EST/ 9pm GMT. Read or listen to each week’s full issue every Thursday, before it hits newsstands.
• Pre-download The Economist and enjoy offline reading anytime, anywhere.
• Seamlessly move between our reader and audio features.
• Store and access back issues.
• If you are a registered reader, you may purchase single issues using in-app purchase.
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps.
* NEW *
You can now create your own playlist of audio articles, store and listen to anytime, anywhere.
• Subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage auto-renew of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again.
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON iPHONE
Simply search for The Economist in the App Store to download the app for free.
Please note that this app requires iOS 7.0 and above. We recommend you update to the latest version of iOS to receive the best possible experience.
What's New in Version 3.1.2
- Bug fixes and enhancements.
Not getting better
1. Doesn't manage storage: holds onto GB even after deleting every edition. I had to delete app and reinstall to clean up.
2. Locked into Newsstand, so cannot be positioned independently on home screen.
3. Articles in pages, rather than continuous scroll forces brain to stop at page breaks.
4. Bookmarks are useless (compare with iBooks) because:
a. You cannot bookmark a page within an article: bookmark forces you to first page of article.
b. When selecting a bookmark, you can only read that one article: it does not allow you to continue after that article to the next in sequence of the issue. This is really dumb as it's the main reason to use bookmarks!
5. Audio controls can't be kept on screen, and article text does not follow the audio switch to the next article.
6. Too many adverts.
How does such a great journal have such a bad app?
For the last three issues there has been at least one article in each that causes the app invariably to crash on an iPad Air 1. In this issue it is the article on Rhodes. They also design the ads so that they are hard to flip, and the reader must look at them for far longer than they might want to do so.
UPDATE the asp is still crashing unexpectedly. Will it ever be fixed?
The new updated version will not even open. When I click the app it goes to a black screen then back to my home screen but flips the locked horizontal orientation to vertical then back. Then nothing just normal home screen. The app never fully launches.
Makes you wonder if the developers even tested the update before the release based on the other reviews.
- Category: News
- Updated: May 05, 2015
- Version: 3.1.2
- Size: 24.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2014
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Economist $39.99
- The Economist $129.99
- The Economist $10.99
- The Economist May 16th 2015 single issue$6.99
- The Economist$6.99
- The Economist$5.99
- The Economist $6.99
- The Economist$7.99
- The Economist$5.99
- The Economist December 20th 2014 single issue$7.99