The Economist for iPad
By The Economist
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Our app is free to download
• Read or listen to a selection of must-read articles chosen each week by Zanny Minton Beddoes, Editor-in-Chief of The Economist
• Subscribers enjoy full access to each week’s issues and analysis
A smart guide to the forces that shape the future, readers access an essential global briefing on business, finance, economics, science, current affairs, technology and the arts from The Economist each week.
• Read or listen to each week’s full issue from Thursday 4pm EST/ 9pm GMT. Read or listen to each week’s full issue every Thursday, before it hits newsstands.
• Pre-download The Economist and enjoy offline reading anytime, anywhere.
• Seamlessly move between our reader and audio features.
• Store and access back issues.
• If you are a registered reader, you may purchase single issues using in-app purchase.
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps.
* NEW *
You can now create your own playlist of audio articles, store and listen to anytime, anywhere.
• Subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage auto-renew of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again.
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON iPHONE
Simply search for The Economist in the App Store to download the app for free.
Please note that this app requires iOS 8.0 and above. We recommend you update to the latest version of iOS to receive the best possible experience.
What's New in Version 3.2.4
- Support for 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus with Quick Actions and Peek and Pop. Press the Home screen icon to access various Quick Actions. Lightly press an article in the table of contents to preview it, and press more firmly to open it.
- Various bug fixes and performance improvements.
Overall great, but saving and export options limited
For reading, the design of this app is great - no complaints. However, saving or export options are limited or awkward. I like to annotate articles which is not possible within the app. Anyway, I like to save selected articles to annotate them (with highlights etc.). However, saving an article is not built in and exporting to external apps such as Evernote work but then annotation there is a bit awkward too. I prefer to export a pdf to Goodreader but that doesn’t see to work at all. You can save articles by sending links to the web article by email and then save the paper from there, but that’s rather awkward (exporting to Notes also saves a link to the web page only).
Best remaining weekly source for news
The Economist may be the only newsweekly that got the digital age mostly correct. At first, they packaged the Internet with the print edition until people got used to reading it online. This also allowed them to get paid for print ads even if people never saw them. They still have high quality news coverage with highly qualified reporters. I do think they are not giving advertisers what they pay for. I only look at ads if they are between articles, and they put most ads in the middle of an article. I often pass the ad before it loads.
A good app for a great magazine
The Economist stands heads above all other English-language news magazines (especially since the unfortunate demise of the venerable Far Eastern Economic Review). The app has the grand advantage of being able to download the entire issue for that week so you can read it on airplanes and other places you can't connect readily.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: News
- Updated: Dec 21, 2015
- Version: 3.2.4
- Size: 17.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2014
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Economist $39.99
- The Economist $129.99
- The Economist $10.99
- The Economist$6.99
- The Economist$5.99
- The Economist $6.99
- The Economist$7.99
- The Economist January 30th 2016 single issue$6.99
- The Economist February 6th 2016 single issue$6.99
- The Economist$5.99