The Economist for iPhone
By The Economist
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Our app is free to download
• Read or listen to a selection of must-read articles chosen each week by Zanny Minton Beddoes, Editor-in-Chief of The Economist
• Subscribers enjoy full access to each week’s issues and analysis
A smart guide to the forces that shape the future, readers access an essential global briefing on business, finance, economics, science, current affairs, technology and the arts from The Economist each week.
• Read or listen to each week’s full issue from Thursday 4pm EST/ 9pm GMT. Read or listen to each week’s full issue every Thursday, before it hits newsstands.
• Pre-download The Economist and enjoy offline reading anytime, anywhere.
• Seamlessly move between our reader and audio features.
• Store and access back issues.
• If you are a registered reader, you may purchase single issues using in-app purchase.
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps.
• Subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage auto-renew of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again.
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON iPAD
Simply search for The Economist in the App Store to download the app for free.
Please note that this app requires iOS 8.0 and above. We recommend you update to the latest version of iOS to receive the best possible experience.
What's New in Version 3.2.8
* Fixed a bug where the app would forget your place the next time you opened it.
* Fixed a bug where zoomed images would not change orientation when the device was rotated.
* Various other bug fixes and performance improvements.
Watching the Ratings Drop
Rating update Friday, May 13, 2016. Seriously, none of these bugs existed 3 or more versions ago before the app was "improved" and put in the Newsstand. Still is a real hassle to create a playlist and I still miss no longer being able to pair the print article with the audio playback. Please can you just give us back the classic app that worked?
One step forward, one step back.
I've cancelled my audio subscription over the recent upgrade. The Economist staff can read my comment and all the others to figure out what is wrong.
The most recent upgrade says the audio is being fixed to restore the functionality of earlier versions. Until then, I can do without.
The new app doesn't create audio playlists. The whole point of my getting an audio subscription is to create a playlist I can listen to in the car to avoid having to scroll articles whilst driving. Bring back the old app which was horrible but at least had that basic function.
Seriously, the best feature of the audio edition is the ability to make playlists. Otherwise it's like forcing a reader to read the issue cover to cover.
Also, isn't the Economist going to be taken back out of the newsstand to be a primary app as it originally was? Having to search for it in the otherwise empty newsstand is a waste of clicks.
Beautiful and functional app design
This app is a pleasure to use, outshining its peers in both content and design. The former is incomparable, and the latter is impressively elegant and functional.
The Economist simply outclasses and shames its competition with a combination of cold logic, witty prose and a pleasurably flowing writing style. And they rarely stoop to the level of what is is considered "quality journalism" these days: one can actually assume they have at least some understanding of the subject they are weighing in on.
Simply the best...
The Economist is probably the best written, best edited publication in the English speaking world. It is, by no means, politically neutral...but rather a maddening-yet-endearing mix of socially liberal yet economically not-so-liberal punditry delivered in that decidedly Anglospheric manner that drives us Americans mad. That said, and apart from it stylistic merits, it gives all the information you need. It may deliver it with a barb, but you can take the research and data offered to the bank.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: News
- Updated: May 13, 2016
- Version: 3.2.8
- Size: 18.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Economist $39.99
- The Economist $129.99
- The Economist June 11th 2016 single issue$7.99
- The Economist $10.99
- The Economist$6.99
- The Economist June 18th 2016 single issue$7.99
- The Economist$8.99
- The Economist February 27th 2016 single issue$7.99
- The Economist December 20th 2014 single issue$7.99
- The Economist May 7th 2016 single issue$7.99