The Economist for iPhone
By The Economist
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Our app is free to download
• Read or listen to a selection of must-read articles chosen each week by Zanny Minton Beddoes, Editor-in-Chief of The Economist
• Subscribers enjoy full access to each week’s issues and analysis
A smart guide to the forces that shape the future, readers access an essential global briefing on business, finance, economics, science, current affairs, technology and the arts from The Economist each week.
• Read or listen to each week’s full issue from Thursday 4pm EST/ 9pm GMT. Read or listen to each week’s full issue every Thursday, before it hits newsstands.
• Pre-download The Economist and enjoy offline reading anytime, anywhere.
• Seamlessly move between our reader and audio features.
• Store and access back issues.
• If you are a registered reader, you may purchase single issues using in-app purchase.
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps.
• Purchase a quarterly subscription to the full edition of The Economist for USD $45.99 or an annual subscription for USD $189.99.
• Subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage auto-renew of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again.
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON iPAD
Simply search for The Economist in the App Store to download the app for free.
Please note that this app requires iOS 8.0 and above. We recommend you update to the latest version of iOS to receive the best possible experience.
What's New in Version 3.2.10
This update fixes a critical bug where audio would not play when the app was in the background.
Apologies for the inconvenience that this has caused.
iOS 8-10 issues, app malfunctions
Whenever I open a new weekly magazine, it makes me redownload the issue despite having downloaded it already, every time I switch from one week's issue to another. The audio did not work on iOS 8. It was working well for me before. On iOS 9 and now iOS 10, I've continued to have issues with this app. Lots of times it won't download the week's issue regardless of what wifi or data connection I'm on, or if I try it on my phone or my wife's phone. The economist has tried finding some workarounds, but only some have worked, and Now in the last few months, only about 60% of the weekly issues can even be downloaded for reading, let alone listening to audio. They have not found a solution and say they are simply "working on it." Despite that, they fail to take responsibility for their poorly working app and refuse to refund me this year's subscription unless I cancel the remainder of the year's access. When in effect I've been paying for a service I haven't been receiving. For a company of the economists stature, it's embarrassing and disconcerting that they cannot 1. Fix their problem and 2. Take responsibility with their customer service for their own issues. I do not recommend this app to anyone.
Love the audio version
UPDATE: thanks for fixing the audio issue below. Audio edition of the economist is terrific and I'm glad to be able to access it on the app again.
Audio does not work in background or lock screen
The only reason I pay for the Economist is to get access to the audio edition. This new update has rendered the audio version almost entirely useless. It is not possible to listen to the audio when the app is in the background or the lock screen is on.
Best Magazine Application
The content is great; considered, transparent and comprehensive. It, among its peers, has remained substantive despite the diluting challenges facing news interests in the digital age.
But the App. That's what this review is really about. It's a 5 star App. It works. It works seamlessly, allowing the reader to enjoy the information without interference from quirks or bugs. Intuitive, easy and uncluttered. A model for News and Periodical apps.
If you subscribe, use the app. If you don't, do - you'll be enriched.
- Category: News
- Updated: Oct 26, 2016
- Version: 3.2.10
- Size: 27.8 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Economist $39.99
- The Economist $129.99
- The Economist$45.99
- The Economist January 14th 2017 single issue$6.99
- The Economist $10.99
- The Economist January 21st 2017 single issue$6.99
- The Economist November 12th 2016 single issue$7.99
- The Economist$189.99
- The Economist$6.99
- The Economist December 24th 2016$9.99