The Economist for iPhone
By The Economist
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Our award-winning app is free to download.
• Free Editor’s picks. Registered readers can read or listen to a selection of must-read articles chosen each week by Zanny Minton Beddoes, Editor-in-Chief of The Economist.
• Subscribers enjoy full access to each week’s issue.
Our app allows registered readers to read a selection of free content each week, while subscribers with digital access can enjoy the full issue every Thursday from 4pm EST / 9pm GMT.
NOW ON NEWSSTAND
The Economist app now appears on your device in Newsstand. Please note that you will not find The Economist app on your device home screen.
When you allow Push Notifications from The Economist app for iPhone, each new issue will be downloaded to your device automatically.
• Read or listen to each week’s full issue from Thursday 4pm EST / 9pm GMT. Read or listen to each week’s full issue every Thursday, before it hits newsstands.
• Pre-download The Economist and enjoy offline reading anytime, anywhere.
• Seamlessly move between our reader and audio features.
• Store and access back issues.
• If you are a registered reader, you may purchase single issues using In-App Purchase.
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps.
• Subscribe quarterly (12 issues) for $74.99 or annually (51 issues) for $299.99 or buy a single issue for $7.99. If available, you will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period.
• Subscriptions automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period at the price of the original subscription.
• You can manage auto-renew of your subscription in your iTunes account settings.
• The app may offer a subscription with a free trial period. At the end of the trial period, full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter.
• You may cancel a subscription during its free trial period via the subscription settings via your iTunes account. This must be done 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ABOUT THE ECONOMIST
The Economist is a weekly international news and business publication offering independent and clear reporting, commentary and analysis on world current affairs; business, finance, science and technology, culture, society, media and the arts.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON iPad
The Economist is also available on iPad. Simply search for The Economist in the App Store for iPad.
What's New in Version 3.0.5
* Restores audio playlist functionality
New new update
Edit: The newest update fixed all of the issues I mention below in my previous review. Opening the app after it got booted from memory and having the audio remember exactly where it was is glorious.
The new update is welcome after a year of no updates, and the interface does look good. However, the app still does not remember your place in the audio, unlike a much earlier version from 2012. I can’t remember when it broke exactly, but there was a time when the app could get bumped from memory and still remember exactly where you stopped, like every podcast app ever. Also, the power draw from the app while playing downloaded audio is massive, much more than any other audio app. It has shot to the top of my battery usage page. The lack of the playlist feature is annoying, but since I listen to almost the whole issue it doesn’t bother me. Please update again and fix the audio memory and power issues.
Love the Look, Worthless Without Playlists
I've gone from 2 stars to 3 since they added playlist functionality back, but it still doesn't work great. 2 simple fixes need to be implemented.
First, let me add to the playlist via the reading section. It's somewhat pointless to let me create a playlist based on the title of an article. Let me spend 5 minutes browsing through the reading section and adding to the playlist and auto downloading as I go.
Second, I travel on the road for work. My music app and podcast app all automatically start playing over Bluetooth, as soon as I turn on my car, from where I left off. I can hop in the car and go. But your app requires me to reopen it and start the playlist again. It's a minor nuisance, but when other apps have that functionality there's no reason this app shouldn't.
It's Suddenly Terrible
This was by far my most-used app on my iPhone. I loved downloading the magazine, complete with all audio, and listening to it during my work commute. I love this magazine. It is my go-to news outlet for well-researched, balanced news which covers the entire world. In the past week, though, the app has completely stopped working for me. It started by getting "stuck" in the audio section. I was unable to go back to the reading section at all. The app would shut down. I deleted and and reinstalled it several times, but the issue kept occurring. Now it's worse. I can't even sign in. I changed my password with no improvement. I have about 18 months left on my subscription, so I am very displeased with this sudden disruption to what used to be a delightful news addiction.
- Category: News
- Updated: Jan 29, 2015
- Version: 3.0.5
- Size: 23.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Economist $39.99
- The Economist $129.99
- The Economist February 21st 2015 single issue$6.99
- The Economist$6.99
- The Economist January 24th 2015 single issue$6.99
- The Economist December 20th 2014 single issue$7.99
- The Economist$7.99
- The Economist$6.99
- The Economist$6.99
- The Economist$6.99