The Economist for iPhone
By The Economist
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Our app is free to download
• Read or listen to a selection of must-read articles chosen each week by Zanny Minton Beddoes, Editor-in-Chief of The Economist
• Subscribers enjoy full access to each week’s issues and analysis
A smart guide to the forces that shape the future, readers access an essential global briefing on business, finance, economics, science, current affairs, technology and the arts from The Economist each week.
• Read or listen to each week’s full issue from Thursday 4pm EST/ 9pm GMT. Read or listen to each week’s full issue every Thursday, before it hits newsstands.
• Pre-download The Economist and enjoy offline reading anytime, anywhere.
• Seamlessly move between our reader and audio features.
• Store and access back issues.
• If you are a registered reader, you may purchase single issues using in-app purchase.
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps.
* NEW *
You can now create your own playlist of audio articles, store and listen to anytime, anywhere.
• Subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage auto-renew of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again.
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON iPAD
Simply search for The Economist in the App Store to download the app for free.
Please note that this app requires iOS 7.0 and above. We recommend you update to the latest version of iOS to receive the best possible experience.
What's New in Version 3.1.3
- Bug fixes and enhancements.
Love the Content, Hate the New App
The content of the economist is fantastic. Best publication out there. I love the audio feature in which the articles are read to you, which is great for anyone who spends a decent amount of time walking or driving. For some reason, they completely separated the text and the audio in newer versions of the app. This is mind-blowingly annoying when compared to the old app where there was a separate audio section, but you could also access the audio from a particular article from directly within the article. This was a great feature because it permitted the user to preview the article by reading a few sentences first. This isn't possible with the current app, and you have to make your listening decisions based solely on the article's title in the audio section, or you have to switch back to the text section, preview and then back to the audio. Not very efficient.
I am very impressed with the quality of the audio. Multiple voices alternate from article to article so you don't get lulled to sleep by the same voice. I wish other magazines, like Time, would offer the same ability to download the full audio for each issue.
Two things would make this app even better:
1) Allow us to set a preference to automatically download just the audio and skip the printed articles every week.
2) Add a button to add all tracks to the playlist instead of having to select each section individually. Some people may want to pick and choose which sections but for those of us that want to hear everything, it would be nice to have a quick way to do that.
Optimal reading experience
Beyond the quality of Economist content, the Economist app facilitates navigation between articles and even sections of the online magazine in the most seamless experience I've yet found in any iOS app.
It can occasionally be a bit frustrating to read a lengthy article over such a narrow screen as my iPhone, but considering the tradeoff between depth of coverage and portability of the hardware, I think I'd be complaining for no good reason if I listed that as a shortcoming of either the phone or the app,
- Category: News
- Updated: Jun 04, 2015
- Version: 3.1.3
- Size: 26.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Economist $39.99
- The Economist $129.99
- The Economist July 25th 2015 single issue$6.99
- The Economist July 18th 2015 single issue$6.99
- The Economist$6.99
- The Economist August 1st 2015 single issue$6.99
- The Economist December 20th 2014 single issue$7.99
- The Economist$7.99
- The Economist$6.99
- The Economist$6.99