The Economist: US & World News
By The Economist
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
A smart guide to the forces that shape the future, readers can access their essential global briefing on current affairs, business, finance, economics, science, technology and the arts from The Economist each week.
Download the free app to:
- Enjoy three free articles a week, including the cover leader
- Stay up to date on US & global issues, political developments, business and financial news
- Get comprehensive economic reports, a regular briefing on current affairs, science and tech articles and news on cultural affairs
- Enjoy the content of the weekly newspaper in an easy-to-use format
- Save articles to read offline later
- Save and share your favourite articles via email and social media
-Get alerts when the new issue is available along with notifications on cover stories, breaking news and analysis.
Download the free app now and have the latest US and international news, business reports, political commentary and financial analysis at your fingertips, as well as insight into the world of arts and cultural affairs.
Haven’t made up your mind?
Key sections and benefits include:
• Each week’s issue available from 9pm London time every Thursday, with authoritative insight into the latest news about current affairs, from Brexit and the Trump administration, to big business mergers and driverless cars, and much more
• Download each issue to your device and read offline. Wherever you are, you can catch up on insightful news articles on current affairs from all around the world including US, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa and the Americas
• Switch easily between reading and listening with The Economist in Audio. Download the audio edition to listen to each week’s issue of The Economist, read by professional broadcasters
• Purchase single issues in the app for world-renowned business news and economy coverage, including economic and financial indicators, world GDP data plus much more
• Store and access back issues
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps
• Share articles via e-mail, Twitter and Facebook
• The app presents a great digital native reading experience for readers allowing for font size changes, Night Mode and other convenient user friendly qualities.
• The World in 2018 is now available within The Economist app. Install the app and scroll down through the issues to The World in 2018. Find out how big thinkers, industry leaders and Economist journalists predict 2018 will unfold.
In today’s changing world, the one thing that’s certain is uncertainty. Make sense of it all with The Economist.
• Purchase a quarterly subscription to the full edition of The Economist for USD $45.99 or an annual subscription for USD $189.99.
• Subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage auto-renew of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again.
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON iPAD
Simply search for The Economist in the App Store to download the app for free.
Please note that this app requires iOS 8.0 and above. We recommend you update to the latest version of iOS to receive the best possible experience.
What's New in Version 4.1
- Added support for The World in 2018
- App should remember your place more frequently
- Various bug fixes and performance improvements
Audio Edition is Unusable
I use the app to listen to the audio edition of this weekly publication. Unfortunately, removing the ability to listen at preferred speed (2x) has caused me to abandon the app completely. The only way to listen now is at “normal” speed which sounds like someone on ether trying to “mansplain” the topic to me. It’s truly awful.
Pro tip: get the podcast link from your account page and listen in your favorite podcast app at your favorite speed. The podcast app remembers your preferred speed and doesn’t make you swipe left from an advertiser’s splash page every time you open the app. Less clicks, better experience. I abandoned the app when the ability to select preferred audio speed was removed and am writing this now because I can’t get “The World in 2018” in my podcast app so came back to the app to see if it was fixed. It’s not and I so I’m forced to listen at dumb speed.
To the “The Economist” team behind the app: come on folks, fix this terrible user experience. You’ve lost a user and my eyeballs on your ads because you’ve made a worse experience than for me than older versions of your app. I love the “The Economist” for its excellent reporting and finger on the pulse of current events. Plus, it gives me a great window into the future. Unfortunately, the app does not live up to the quality of the publication. Rather than a window to the future, it feels like a step backwards.
Good app and publication but major issue with background color on app
Love the economist and have for years. Their app is one of the better ones compared to other publication.
With that said, I have been very disappointed with the recent bug that defaults the background color to bright white (instead of black) and has to be switched to “night mode” (black background) with EVERY article that is opened.
Previously, if I was reading at night (very common) and wanted the black background (much easier on the eyes at night), i would select it and all articles would appear like that. With new update, there seems to be a glitch where every new article i open requires me to go and change the settings to make the background black again (instead of white). Very annoying, and defeats the whole purpose of reading with a black background at night, in order to promote falling asleep easier. May seem minor, but it makes me not use app much any more at night til fixed
The worst app update ever
I’ve been using the app for well over 3 years and in brief, I should confess that it is the poorest least functional update I have ever seen. They just made everything worse!
Nothing works properly! It’s hard to go forward using a bar with no indicator and not to mention for going backwards while you’re on your lock screen, there’s no way! Have to open it while driving and do all the modifications.
At the same time, I have to download the mag and audio almost every day since it removes it not because of settings, but because of a glitch, authorisation progress is a routine for me in Melbourne Australia on a daily basis. Not sure about other countries!
Really hope someone reads my comment from the Economist and try to change the app developer or push them for a major app debugging with structural changes.
- Category: News
- Updated: Nov 15, 2017
- Version: 4.1
- Size: 21.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2017
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Economist $39.99
- The Economist $129.99
- The Economist$45.99
- The Economist $10.99
- The Economist$189.99
- The Economist November 12th 2016 single issue$7.99
- The Economist December 24th 2016 single issue$7.99
- The World In 2018$13.99
- The Economist February 27th 2016 single issue$7.99
- The Economist December 2nd 2017 single issue$7.99