Each week over 1.5 million subscribers trust The Economist to help them make sense of the world. Join them with The Economist app.
Free to download. New users can subscribe to The Economist within the app and take advantage of an introductory 12-week subscription offer. Users on iOS 10.2 or below will need to update their phone to access the app. Otherwise The Economist classic app is available to enjoy our weekly edition.
Already a subscriber? Simply install the app and sign in with your Economist details.
The Economist is a trusted, independent, finishable filter on world affairs, offering in-depth analysis of business, finance, economics, science, technology, arts and culture. Whether it’s the latest developments in the Trump administration, the rise of automation in the workplace, the economic impact of environmental change or the case for legalising drugs, The Economist has it covered.
• A morning briefing to prepare you for the day ahead (Economist Espresso)
• A daily selection of curated articles, combining news updates with highlights from the weekly issue
• Full access to the weekly edition of The Economist (digital and audio versions)
As well as full access to the weekly edition, the app includes additional daily updates with articles from Economist.com along with Economist Espresso, a morning briefing highlighting the most important things you need to know each day. All of the articles from the weekly magazine are available to listen to in audio, along with selected daily updates
FREE TO DOWNLOAD
Full app features:
• The weekly edition available every Thursday evening London time
• Audio versions of the weekly edition read by professional broadcasters
• Daily Picks: a daily selection of curated articles
• Economist Espresso: a morning briefing published every weekday, and on Saturday
• Notifications of the latest cover stories and key articles
• Reading times highlighted on each article
• Bookmarking to allow users to save articles for later, or create their own collection
• Support for iPhone and iPad
• All users on iOS 11.2 or above can subscribe to The Economist within the app and take advantage of an introductory 12-week subscription offer. At the end of the introductory term, the subscription will automatically renew onto a quarterly subscription at the standard price
• Annual subscriptions are also available
You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Introductory offers, annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours before the end of the current period, at a cost of £44.99/$45.99/€69.99 (for a quarterly subscription) or £159.99/$189.99/€229.99 (for an annual subscription)
• You can manage auto-renewal of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again
Version 1.5.1 includes some fixes for image zooming. It will now work correctly in Morning briefing articles.
Version 1.5 included:
• Image zooming. Tap on any image in an articles to view it full screen. You can also pinch to zoom and rotate your device to view the image in landscape mode
• Articles are no longer instantly marked as read if they are viewed only briefly
• The audio edition now remembers your place between sessions
• Other bug fixes, background improvements and visual tweaks
Ratings and Reviews
Great app, one suggested feature for audio
I’d like to just hit ‘play’ on the bookmarked articles with audio and keep working through my list as I’m walking or driving. The app is missing a way to just play audio from my bookmarked articles without having to go back and hit ‘play’ on the next bookmarked article. After it plays my first bookmarked article, it plays an unrelated ‘Leaders’ article, which is a bit unexpected.
But I still love the app and am happy with my subscription. The Economist is truly my most interesting news publication. It often helps me understand the world in a slightly different way.
Many bugs fixed, some still remain
Thank you for fixing horizontal mode on iPad! Please fix this next issue:
I sometimes listen while driving. However, this is a bad user experience, because this app is not configured as “spoken audio” - and as a result, the driving directions from Maps are intermixed on top of the article readout, which means I can understand neither.
Compare this behavior against an app such as Audible, which is configured correctly - and therefore pauses during navigation callouts.
The developer team should look into “AVAudioSessionModeSpokenAudio”, which is the correct configuration for this app.
As always the news content itself is excellent.
Would love to be able to rotate the screen
Been looking for something that was more than just the newspaper for some time, so this makes me happy. But I use my iPad like a laptop, so screen rotation is vital
OK, either that was a fast response, or I was missing something. Opened it up today, and the screen rotated for me perfectly. Exactly what I want in an app version
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 39.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Three month subscription $45.99
- One year subscription $189.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.