The Gainesville Sun for iPhone
By Halifax Media Group, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Keep up with the Sun's thorough coverage of Gainesville and the University of Florida while you're on the go.
The Gainesville Sun introduces an iPhone app to let you quickly check our news, features, sports, editorials, columns, blogs, photo galleries and videos wherever you are.
Read through all of today's news and check back for breaking news throughout the day. You control which sections display on the main screen and how many articles you see. You can also adjust the text size, mark your favorite articles for later reading and share stories easily by e-mail or post to Facebook or Twitter.
It's NOW OFFICIAL: This app is totally useless
This app is now officially crap - and the website isn't much better. I had suspected that digital-only subscribers like me (whether app or via web browser) were missing important local stories that appeared in print, but I confirmed that suspicion this week. What an embarrassment to be the only person in your business who hasn't read the big local news which appeared on the front page of the print edition! I understand the paper has changed hands again, but they're still happy to debit my card every month for the subscription fee. I tried the app on my iPhone 5s this morning - and it is permanently frozen. The app is crap and the website lacks very important stories. Time to end my subscription.
Poor App for a local paper owned by a huge corp.
*Update: App has now been completely frozen since April 1, 2015. Zero updates since 2011!!
No wonder similar publications are becoming less and less significant just as the Sun is. It's a shame how antiquated they've become.
1. Extremely limited content
2. App freezes if you attempt to share and article
3. App is sized for an iPhone 4 screen.
4. Although this comment isn't app specific it's worth noting that their internally written articles are usually fairly inaccurate, biased towards those who pay and/or provide other benefits to the "writers", overloaded with govt and larger corporate-related editorials which are somehow labeled as news, etc., etc.
5. Even with the massive amounts of intrusive and poorly implemented paid ads present, The Sun's website attempts to limit your articles and website visits to a ridiculously low number per month without a paid subscription.
Today's above the fold 1A story, "not found?"
Content is limited. Today's page 1A above the fold story is "not found" using the search feature. So, what was the Sun's biggest story 15 hours ago is not in the list and cannot be found? There is no "local news" category & as already mentioned no obits. No ability to prioritize categories, you can only select/deselect them. I will be sticking with the mobile version & deleting this app.
- Category: News
- Released: Apr 08, 2011
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 7.0 MB
- Languages: English, German, Romanian, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Halifax Media Group, LLC
- © Gainesville.com
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.