The Gardens Between is a single-player adventure-puzzle game about time, memory and friendship.
Best friends Arina and Frendt fall into a series of vibrant, dreamlike island gardens peppered with everyday objects from their childhood. Together they embark on an emotional journey that examines the significance of their friendship: the memories they’ve built, what must be let go, and what should never be left behind.
Lost in a mysterious realm where cause and effect are malleable, the friends find that time flows in all directions. Manipulate time to solve puzzles and reach the apex of each isle. Follow the duo as they unpack and explore their significant moments spent together, lighting up constellations and illuminating threads of a bittersweet narrative.
• Vibrant, storybook-inspired art style
• Dreamy tale of adventure, friendship and growing-up
• Gorgeous single player experience with a meaningful story
• Bespoke ingenious puzzles require the manipulation of time to solve
• More than twenty mysterious and surreal garden islands to explore
• Accessible design; simple controls, and no text, speech, time pressure or complex UI
• Playtime: Roughly 2 ~ 4 hours depending on puzzle solving confidence
• Relaxing, ambient soundtrack by feature-artist Tim Shiel
• Nominated for an IGF 2018 award in Visual Excellence, amongst 19 other international award nominations
• Named one of the most ‘highly anticipated titles of 2018’ by Polygon and lauded as one of ‘18 indie games to look forward to in 2018’ by Destructoid
• Featured in numerous festivals including; Indie MEGABOOTH (PAX East, West), IndieArena, IGF, IGF China, Out of Index, ACMI, PAX AUS Showcase, Unity Showcase and BIC Fest
Improved controller support for third-party gamepads.
Improved Metal rendering and shader pre-loading.
Thank you for playing The Gardens Between!
Follow us on Twitter / Facebook / Instagram: @TheVoxelAgents
Ratings and Reviews
Immerse into the gorgeous world.
Good game, nice graphics. Gliches solved with 1.03 and reduced graphics
I'm a puzzle person, and loved the graphics, so I give it 5 stars. It took me 8 hours as I couldn't figure out some worlds even though its mainly get a light, extinguish a light, walk on clouds, and sometimes wait or look for something unusual. My 6 and 9 year old nieces were bored of it and quit - so if you don't like quiet historical puzzle games, this might not be for you. Bought this on 12/6 and it didn't work. Got the 1.03 upgrade on 12/7 and it got to the first island. Next, I got rid of all the cool graphics capability. It started to work but it was glitchy still. I reduced the graphics to 1440 x 980 and it was smooth. My dualshock contoller didn't work, i used the keyboard. Its just arrow right and left for forward and back in time and spacebar to interact with something. To get on an island you sometimes hit return. My specs are MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. There are trophies after every world in the scene, find the vibrating item and stop. Others total 18, although the Mac version doesn't keep track. It looks like holding the shift key after you complete the game will make you go fast. For one frustrating island, I went to the walkthough on yt by Maka91. Merry Christmas!:)
Developer Response ,
Glad the '1.03' version solved your problems! We're working on getting better graphical default settings for slower computers in the next update :)
Mojave issues resolved!
A beautifully imagined game! Easy to navigate, with enough of a challenge to keep you interested and entertained. Charming and warm interludes between puzzles.
Issues with release 10.14.1 of Mojave have been resolved with version 1.3 of the game. Matt responded quickly, so support is good in my opinion. Lucky for me, version 1.3 was released within hours of my contacting him and it works beautifully.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.