***Gracie Award, Outstanding Mobile App
***W3 Silver Award, Game App Category
***Editor's Choice Award, Children's Technology Review
***National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA)
***4 Stars, USAToday.com
WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY:
“Reading the "Magic School Bus" books has always been fascinating and fun, but this interactive app is even better. There is so much jam-packed into this app that kids will want to play it repeatedly to find all the interesting interactive elements hiding in these underwater scenes.” – USA TODAY.com
“One look at the Oceans app, and the future of e-learning becomes clear… the app is accessible to many levels… packed with opportunities for interactive, exciting learning…Worth checking out immediately.” – dot.Momming Blog
Seatbelts everyone! Go on a wild ride certified with Ms. Frizzle and class to explore ocean life on the iPad!
Based on the book The Magic School Bus: On the Ocean Floor written by Joanna Cole and illustrated by Bruce Degen,, this interactive storybook app is teeming with science facts, videos, photos and games. In comic book style format, readers engage in an active reading experience as they discover plant and animal life, coral reefs, the ocean floor and more. Touch an animal in the ocean to watch a video or learn a fun fact. Every page of this fantastical Magic School Bus adventure features an interaction to extend the reading experience. When the reading adventure is complete, children can play a fast-paced game to earn points for more science facts and to travel to other areas of the ocean!
• Embodies the “open exploration” essence of The Magic School Bus – which encourages kids to “take chances, make mistakes…and get messy!”
• Takes more advanced facts from the book and brings them to life so kids can manipulate variables and see cause and effect in action.
• “Touch & Tilt” animated interactions make it easy for children to engage with the story:
• 7 interactive science explorations that bring key science concepts to life.
• Access 26 real photos and 11 videos of underwater animals and plant life.
• Over 20 individual voices plus original music and sound effects bring the story to life – meaning you don’t have to know how to read to enjoy The Magic School Bus!
• A highly re-playable game that includes over 20 animals in which children can play to earn points for more science facts and to travel to other areas of the ocean.
• Includes hundreds of facts about underwater life.
• Individual words highlight as they are read aloud to aid reading skills; settings options allow independent readers to turn off music and narration, access mini-games and go to a specific page in the story.
- Now available for iPad and iPhone
- HD graphic update
- additional bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
There is nothing wrong with this book....but there is also nothing special about it either. If you are a fan of the show and books, then you will be irritated at the price of this app...which lacks creativity and activities. It could have been great and it just isn't. It should be half the price or less....I can't believe I paid $8 for this!
Can lay groundwork for content lessons divided into physical oceanography and marine biology. All screen content is not interactive; richer interactive features wld have made the app hover at a 4.5 rating. Read aloud, highlighted words is a great feature for struggling readers.
My 5 year old loves it
This app is pricey, but my son loves everything ocean and recently discovered the Magic School Bus, so I won't be buying the other ones, but this one was worth it for us. The first night, we spent about 40 minutes reading the book and going through all the interactive features. He wanted to do a couple of them multiple times, but we ran out of time before bedtime. The book can read to your child on its own, but I chose to turn it down and read it myself. He could easily entertain himself with it while we're in a waiting room, restaurant, etc. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of the price and because there were missing letters in some words in the interactive parts. Once you figure it out it's easy to read, but whenever "fl" and "fi"were used in a word, those two letters were missing. So a sentence about fish on the sea floor says, " sh on the sea oor." Overall it's a great app.
- Scholastic Interactive LLC
- 278.3 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- TM & © 2010 Scholastic Inc. Based on The Magic School Bus book series © Joanna Cole and Bruce Degen.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.