The Other Brothers
By Simian Squared Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Pocketgamer - "The Other Brothers has the potential to be the best mobile platformer of 2013. Seriously." - Top 20 Anticipated iOS Games of 2013
TouchArcade - "A really slick-looking pixel-art-packed platformer that we've had our eyes on for quite some time now." Top 10 most anticipated upcoming games
Kotaku - "What I'm liking about how this is shaping up isn't just the fact its visuals are all retro-inspired, but the controls as well."
Indiestatik - "The Other Brothers is interesting for a number of reasons that lie beyond its attractive pixel art. Levels are non-linear and encourage exploration!"
••• INSERT COIN •••
The Other Brothers is a •difficult• and challenging platform adventure which appeals to people who love a bold pixel art aesthetic combined with cutting edge rendering techniques.
With today's technology we are able to bring back that classic 16-bit aesthetic and combine it with modern mechanics, physics and gameplay to bring you a platforming experience like no other!
• Pixel art • is a beautiful art form that was swept away by the advances in 3D graphics. We are bringing it back for the new generation and making it better than ever!
Join The Other Brothers: Joe and Jim, as they traverse junkyards, cities, sewers and more as they battle the mafia, police, robots, ninjas and monsters in an ill-fated attempt at rescue... but do our heroes know exactly what they're getting into?
••• Experience New Retro! •••
• Experience a striking, modern twist on the 16-bit Platformer genre
• Unique eye-popping and hand painted pixel art style
• Rock out to the original soundtrack written and recorded especially!
• Explore unique, multi-path levels that you'll come back to time and again
• Fight entertaining enemies with personality, can you discover their weaknesses?
• Action packed, original boss fights
• Entertaining hand crafted cut scenes
• High replay value and rewarding gameplay
• 3 Star rating system and unlockable character
• Simian Tech engine provides authentic Mode 7 visuals
• 3 different control options to try
••• TOP TIPS •••
TOB is a very challenging game, for skilled gamers:
• Hold jump when jumping to jump that bit higher
• Hold jump after stomping to bounce higher
• You can double jump higher at the apex!
• Use B to attack if you collect weapons
• Always keep a pigeon on you - if you are hit get one ASAP!
• All enemies have unique AI - lure them into attacking first.
• Redefine the controls in options and tailor them.
What's New in Version 1.1
• New Control Options!
• iCade Support
• iControlpad Support
Update: Unfortunately, the update didn't fix any of the fundamental problems with the game. The new control options certainly help the playability of the game, but it doesn't fix any of the core game design problems I mentioned in my original review below.
The game is honestly not that good. Even when they fix the sort of wonky virtual d-pad, the core game is just sloppy, and frankly, boring. The characters have an unpolished feel to them in general (control wise). And the levels are just huge open areas without any logical structure or progression to their layout. It's a shame, because this is a game that I really wanted to like. The art direction is fantastic. It just LOOKS like a game you would love. But reality unfortunately doesn't support this preconception. A lot of these great looking retro-styled games are hit or miss on the App Store. This one is a miss.
Hot topic are the controls I can't speak to icade but the touch controls are as good as any ios platformer out there personally I like floating analog stick but its got a fixed one and dpad to choose from. The levels are good they're not some random cluster f. It's not Mario though, it has a lot more up and down platforming and hazards but its good. The style is cool, the bosses are just hard enough. There is unlimited continues, and check points for however many 1ups you have plus a level select very forgiving. This plus banana kong are gems on ios I'd love to see them on the ouya worthy of tv out and a control pad.
Gave it a chance to no avail..
The devs updated the controls which everyone complained about. And this I do respect, but my gripes are actually with the enemies in-game. They are simply too hard and you barely any defenses against them besides the TIMED USAGE THROWING WRENCHES. Also don't get me started on the difficulty of catching doves which have the equivalence of coins to sonic the hedgehog. One equals all doves gone another hit= death. At least sonic had speed on his side...but I digress. Although I've been negative thus far there are some cool aspects of this game. For starters the artwork/design is amazing! The music is not that bad, but somewhat cheesy. I probably will continue playing again in the future at some point but I'll pass atm.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Apr 13, 2013
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 55.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Simian Squared Ltd
- © 2013 3D ATTACK
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.