The Philadelphia Inquirer has been a vibrant voice for the city and the region since 1829, and by making our replica edition available on the iPad we're continuing to deliver you the news, everywhere you go. All sections of the paper are presented in full color in their original layout.
This replica application is free to download. Enjoy 1 free preview issue or sign in using your existing digital edition account information. Download the app today and you can begin flipping the pages, and panning and zooming in to view any page, article or photo in stunning clarity.
To access your 1 [free] preview edition: select "Other Issues" when prompted to login and swipe upwards until you see the blue unlocked edition, tap to open preview this day’s edition.
• Sharing articles is now fixed for iOS 10 users.
• "Back issues" menu is now fixed for iOS 10 users.
Ratings and Reviews
Works OK, though not travel friendly
Once again being asked to login in multiple times in the same day and location. Now I can't read even back issues from earlier this week. Again!
Updated June 2017:
When traveling and IP addresses change at hotels and the like, I constantly have to log in. Fingerprint authentiation is available in many applications, so why not here? And when downloading for offline use over slower Wifi, can't switch to other apps as the download will stop.
Update Nov 2016:
I now have to log in almost every day, if not every day. And the app does not support Touch ID, so it means I have to remember and type my login details every time.
I've been reading the paper for about two months on my iPad Air 2, and it works well. I like being able to go back issues; too bad it is only two weeks.
Some improvements I would suggest include:
- Putting page number/numbers on top in blue bar.
- Recognizing that I have already downloaded for off-line use--don't display that option again for the same issue.
- I frequently accidentally touch with one finger, highlighting the article I just touched. Allow me to go back to previous view, instead of getting full page and having to re-size again. Maybe detect between a few seconds due to error and longer because I actually read it in the highlighted mode.
- Support the iPhone 6 [S] [Plus]. It might actually work on the Plus.
Created by middle school summer intern?
So many things poorly done here. For instance, the link for continuing a story on another page is tiny and easy to miss resulting in zooming in and out of the article until you find that one pixel. Or, when you touch a story to read and it zooms into the bottom of the column, so every time you have scroll to the top. The same thing happens when continuing a story on another page. Or, if you download an issue to read offline, as I do every day, knowing I won't have internet access, at that time, the app won't open for a good 30+ seconds as it searches for the internet anyway. Or the log-in thing others have complained about, where the app freezes, or you go in circles trying to log in. So I'm here re-downloading the app for the umpteenth time to get around this issue, and thought I'd leave this little nugget of experience for others.
Getting the paper a struggle
When I get the paper it works ok, not great. It always goes to the bottom of an article when selected. Who starts reading from the bottom?
But then there are days (too many) that I don't get the paper at all. Either it continues to give the last paper read, not the current days' paper, or I get 'connection failed' when I have a perfectly good internet connection for all other apps. Last two days I've deleted the app and reloaded it to 'sometimes' get it to work.
Frustrated that the physical delivery was sooooo bad, I changed to digital to find that the delivery here is shaky at best.
My question is: why am I paying for a subscription when I'm using the website to get the news?!!!! Somebody there needs to do something!
- Philadelphia Media Network (Digital), LLC
- 7.8 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, French, German, Hebrew, Japanese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Interstate General Media, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.