3D Sun, Moon and Night Photography Planning For Outdoor Photographers.
The Photographer's Ephemeris 3D (TPE 3D) is a unique natural light visualization tool for outdoor and landscape photographers shooting in varied terrain. It's a 3D map-centric Sun, Moon and Milky Way calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
"TPE3D predicted the light in the distance in the gap just before the right most hill very accurately." - OnLandscape Magazine
"This app has become an indispensable tool in my planning kit, I highly recommend it!" - David Kingham, Exploring Exposure
Watch a sunrise from the future in a rich simulation of sunlight, moonlight and starlight set against the actual topography of your planned shooting location.
Need to see when the arch of the Milky Way will rise between two mountain peaks? Need to see what time in the afternoon the valley will lose direct light in September?
Watch the light unfold under clear skies hours, days, weeks or years before you're actually there in person.
Key features includes:
- 3D topographic maps with simple navigation options
- Sun, moon and galactic centre continuous timeline showing key rise, set and transit events
- Full search capability to find your location (or enter decimal or DMS coordinates directly)
- Automated playback to watch a realtime or faster-than-realtime simulation of the light
- Flying mode for quick movement around a scene
- Enhanced mode for maximum topography and shadow detail
- Symbolic represetation of the Milky Way in Flying mode
- High resolution Milky Way and stars in Enhanced mode
- Direct elevation control for the 3D model camera
- Camera pitch and bearing indicators
- Moon phases are rendered accurately in the 3D scene
- Zoom in/out to equivalent 35mm focal length in enhanced mode
- Daily and annual events lists
- Shared location database with TPE
- Navigation and Artificial Highlights lighting modes
- Support for multiple map pins
- User settings for controlling scene complexity
If you like to plan your natural light photography to capture the photo opportunities others miss, TPE 3D is a must-have tool!
- This app is CPU and graphics intensive: modern device models provide the best user experience and highest resolution data
- Not recommended for users who only shoot in flat terrain
- Satellite maps are not included
- Building are not shown in 3D
- Max elevation data resolution is 1 arcsecond (approximately 30m/33yards)
- Requires an internet connection
- Does not currently provide simulation of lighting during solar and lunar eclipses
- Topographic data is available only between 83°N and 83°S: data may contain artifacts and errors
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
- New: Services Status screen
- Fix: possible crash in iOS 11 on selecting Save Image from the Share screen
The Services Status screen can be accessed from the Settings page. It shows current availability of the elevation, map and other web services which TPE 3D uses. If you're having trouble loading data, you can check to see if the requires services are up and running ok (it's very rare that they're not!). The services status screen queries an independent uptime monitoring service to give you a true picture of service availability.
If you're enjoying TPE 3D, a review on the App Store really helps us continue to develop the app. Send us your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ratings and Reviews
Great paired with Ephemeris and Transit
I just got back from the Smoky Mountains and used 3D to fully visualize and plan shots down to the lens used and where to set up. Very accurate and just plain fun to use and even did some "arm chair" travel and photo set ups in the hotel at night to pass the time - great app and I love the integration with Ephemeris for smooth work flow. Well done!
Thanks! Great to hear you were able to get the shots you'd planned :)
Powerful but very difficult
A great tool, but also incredibly frustrating to use. Did not recognize Schwanachers Landing in Grand Tetons, and its tough to find spots and get them entered. Once you do its great, but finding your specific spot on the map is excruciating.
Not easy to use
I like the TPE 2d version, I have been using it for a few years, so I purchased TPE 3D, I am still struggling with this app, it’s so difficult to use, I wish I can return it.
Was there anything specific I can work on to improve? What tasks were you having difficulty with?
If you contact Apple iTunes Support, they can usually process a refund for you.
- Crookneck Consulting LLC
- 76.8 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, German, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-18 Crookneck Consulting LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.