The Photographer's Ephemeris
By Crookneck Consulting LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
"Head and shoulders above the crowd is The Photographer’s Ephemeris. Odd name, great app." - National Geographic
"One of the most useful apps for any nature photographer" - Outdoor Photographer Magazine
"It worked perfectly. The program was dead on…" - National Geographic
"One of the most powerful photography applications that I've seen, one that you'll be using for years and years." - AdoramaTV
The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) helps plan outdoor photography shoots in natural light, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It's a map-centric Sun, Moon and Milky Way calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
Whether you need at-a-glance information on today's sun, moon and Milky Way data for your current location, or need to plan a precise alignment of the full moon for a future shoot, TPE has the tools you need. The combination of augmented reality, line-of-sight analysis and visual search supports the most sophisticated photo planning needs.
Night mode features a 3D representation of the Milky Way, pole stars and major constellations directly over the map, so you can easily visualize exactly how to align your shot.
Research and save your own list of favorite photographic locations, using 7 different map types (including 2 offline maps) and save them in your locations list. Favorite locations are always displayed right on the map.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will rise from behind nearby hills and mountains.
- Time/direction of sun, moon, and galactic center rise/set
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon and the galactic center for any time of day/night
- Milky Way, stars and asterisms visualization via 3D map overlay
- Moon phase and % illumination
- Civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- 2 topographic maps
- 2 offline map types
- Movable map pins: drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Map autorotation using the compass (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want: no fixed lists
- Celestial events including moon phases, apogee, perigee, solstice, equinox
- Network connection not required for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Augmented reality view for on location scouting
- Saved location synchronization between devices and the free TPE web app
- Automatic time zone detection
- Elevation above sea level
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Location import/export from KML
- Magnetic north option
- Configurable timeline display
- Sun/moon transit times
- 'Golden hour' time/duration
- Light pollution overlay
- Line of sight analysis
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill or ridge
- Advanced visual sun and moon search
- Azimuth or altitude search priority
- New crescent moon visibility
- Distance to the visible horizon
Available map types include:
- Standard, Satellite/Hybrid, Terrain
- OpenCycleMap Topographic
Sunrise/sunset color forecasts are available with a subscription to the Skyfire service, available via in-app purchase.
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection, except for offline map tiles previously downloaded and stored on your device
- Topographic map data is available only between 60°N and 47°S
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
- The app itself supports only English language at present
- Augmented reality requires an iPhone 6s (or later), iPad Pro or 2017 model and iOS 11 or later
What's New in Version 4.1.2
- Improved results for full address searches
- Fix positioning of map reticle (too high in 4.1)
- Embracing the notch - iPhone X UI updates
- Location search now uses Geonames, with fuzzy search, locale and language context-sensitive results.
- UI refinements
If you're using both TPE and TPE 3D, please ensure you update to TPE 3D 1.3 to ensure compatibility of the shared Locations database with TPE 4.1.
Send your feedback and suggestions to email@example.com - we'd love to hear from you.
Nothing else like it!
Extremely useful app, if you want to plan your photography for a trip or event. Pick your location-instantly you see sun and moon rise and set times. Tap on the date to pick a future date. Swipe a finger across the display at the bottom to see the direction of sun or moon overlaid on the map-satellite photo help plan the shot, and even tells you if terrain will obstruct your view of eg sunset. I have used it to choose location for a one time trip to the Mackinaw Bridge, as well as look to see where is the closest place to travel for the next solar eclipse.
If you care about getting the most good locations for your photo trip, hands down this is the one to get!
No bugs or issues that I can see.
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Nov 14, 2017
- Version: 4.1.2
- Size: 74.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Crookneck Consulting LLC
- © 2010 – 2017 Crookneck Consulting LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Skyfire (1-year)$19.99
- Skyfire (3-months)$6.99
- Skyfire Plus (1-year)$29.99
- Skyfire Plus (3-months)$9.99
- Upgrade to Skyfire Plus (3-months)$3.99
- Upgrade to Skyfire Plus (1-year)$10.99