"Head and shoulders above the crowd is The Photographer’s Ephemeris. Odd name, great app." - National Geographic
"One of the most useful apps for any nature photographer" - Outdoor Photographer Magazine
"It worked perfectly. The program was dead on…" - National Geographic
"One of the most powerful photography applications that I've seen, one that you'll be using for years and years." - AdoramaTV
The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) helps plan outdoor photography shoots in natural light, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It's a map-centric Sun, Moon and Milky Way calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
Whether you need at-a-glance information on today's sun, moon and Milky Way data for your current location, or need to plan a precise alignment of the full moon for a future shoot, TPE has the tools you need. The combination of augmented reality, line-of-sight analysis and visual search supports the most sophisticated photo planning needs.
Night mode features a 3D representation of the Milky Way, pole stars and major constellations directly over the map, so you can easily visualize exactly how to align your shot.
Research and save your own list of favorite photographic locations, using 7 different map types (including 2 offline maps) and save them in your locations list. Favorite locations are always displayed right on the map.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will rise from behind nearby hills and mountains.
- Time/direction of sun, moon, and galactic center rise/set
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon and the galactic center for any time of day/night
- Milky Way, stars and asterisms visualization via 3D map overlay
- Moon phase and % illumination
- Civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- 2 topographic maps
- 2 offline map types
- Movable map pins: drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Map autorotation using the compass (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want: no fixed lists
- Celestial events including moon phases, apogee, perigee, solstice, equinox
- Network connection not required for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Augmented reality view for on location scouting
- Saved location synchronization between devices and the free TPE web app
- Automatic time zone detection
- Elevation above sea level
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Location import/export from KML
- Magnetic north option
- Configurable timeline display
- Sun/moon transit times
- 'Golden hour' time/duration
- Light pollution overlay
- Line of sight analysis
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill or ridge
- Advanced visual sun and moon search
- Azimuth or altitude search priority
- New crescent moon visibility
- Distance to the visible horizon
Available map types include:
- Standard, Satellite/Hybrid, Terrain
- OpenCycleMap Topographic
Sunrise/sunset color forecasts are available (covering lower 48, southern Canada and Europe) with a subscription to the Skyfire service, available via in-app purchase.
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection, except for offline map tiles previously downloaded and stored on your device
- Topographic map data is available only between 60°N and 47°S
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
- The app itself supports only English language at present
- Augmented reality requires an iPhone 6s (or later), iPad Pro or 2017 model and iOS 11 or later
- Updated World Magnetic Model to WMM20015v2
- Fixed crash on editing location in an added calendar event
Please send your feedback and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org - we'd love to hear from you.
If you're enjoying TPE, a review on the App Store is really helpful, and lets us keep improving the app.
Ratings and Reviews
For City/Landscape Photographs
It is great to show you the elevation and “Flow” of the land. Also it has 4 types of maps showing this in Google & 2 using Apple maps. You can see what you are getting into, but you must remember the this is just a map form yesterday, new trails or changes are not shown. Also the view is of the elevation is great as long as they haven’t built anything or grasses/trees grown too much, which is not true for Charlotte,NC. All this being said, I related the program a 5 Star because it shows you so many points of view, the sun & moon flow in the sky at a specific time and a better location to at least start looking for a good spot to get the frame you want. This program is great for starting a plan from your house and then going out for the picture.
Nothing else like it!
Extremely useful app, if you want to plan your photography for a trip or event. Pick your location-instantly you see sun and moon rise and set times. Tap on the date to pick a future date. Swipe a finger across the display at the bottom to see the direction of sun or moon overlaid on the map-satellite photo help plan the shot, and even tells you if terrain will obstruct your view of eg sunset. I have used it to choose location for a one time trip to the Mackinaw Bridge, as well as look to see where is the closest place to travel for the next solar eclipse.
If you care about getting the most good locations for your photo trip, hands down this is the one to get!
I’ve been using this app for about a year or more and it has proven very useful. I have several locations saved near home and a National Park where I go to to observe and photograph sun and moon rises and sets.
Particularly, I try to photograph moon rises or sets within the Earth’s Shadow. This app provides the times and locations where this will happen. What it cannot do is control the weather, so ultimately it is still a challenge, but using this app ensures that you have all the information at hand to be in the right place at the right time.
- Crookneck Consulting LLC
- 89.4 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010 – 2019 Crookneck Consulting LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Skyfire (1-year) $29.99
- Skyfire (3-months) $9.99
- Skyfire Plus (3-months) $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.