The Photographer's Ephemeris
By Crookneck Consulting LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"Head and shoulders above the crowd is The Photographer’s Ephemeris. Odd name, great app." - National Geographic
"One of the most useful apps for any nature photographer" - Outdoor Photographer Magazine
Sun, Moon and Night Photography Planning For Outdoor Photographers.
The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) helps plan outdoor photography shoots in natural light, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It's a map-centric Sun, Moon and Milky Way calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
Whether you need at-a-glance information on today's sun and moon data for your current location, or need to plan a precise alignment of the full moon for a future shoot, TPE has the tools you need. The combination of line-of-sight analysis with visual search supports the most sophisticated sun/moon research needs.
"It worked perfectly. The program was dead on…" - National Geographic
"One of the most powerful photography applications that I've seen, one that you'll be using for years and years." - AdoramaTV
"a godsend of an app for forward-thinking landscape photographers" - MSN Tech & Gadgets
"Get it. This is a quality application that has been very thoughtfully and carefully designed." 5 Stars - BestAppSite.com
Night mode features a 3D representation of the Milky Way, pole stars and major constellations directly over the map, so you can easily visualize exactly how to align your shot.
Research and save your own list of favorite photographic locations, using 7 different map types (including 2 offline maps) and save them in your locations list. Favorite locations are always displayed right on the map.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will rise from behind nearby hills and mountains.
- Time/direction of sun, moon, and galactic center rise/set
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon and the galactic center for any time of day/night
- Milky Way visualization via 3D map overlay
- Moon phase and % illumination
- Civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- 2 topographic maps
- 2 offline map types
- Movable map pins: drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Map autorotation using the compass (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want: no fixed lists
- Celestial events including moon phases, apogee, perigee, solstice, equinox
- Network connection not required for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Automatic time zone detection
- Elevation above sea level
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Location import/export from KML
- Magnetic north option
- Configurable timeline display
- Sun/moon transit times
- 'Golden hour' time/duration
- Light pollution overlay
- Line of sight analysis
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill or ridge
- Advanced visual sun and moon search
- Azimuth or altitude search priority
- New crescent moon visibility
- Distance to the visible horizon
Available map types include:
- Standard, Satellite/Hybrid, Terrain
- OpenCycleMap Topographic
Location synch between devices and the TPE web app is available via in-app purchase (3 month free trial available, requires free account sign-up).
Sunrise/sunset color forecasts are available with a subscription to the Skyfire service, available via in-app purchase.
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection, except for offline map tiles previously downloaded and stored on your device
- Topographic map data is available only between 60°N and 47°S
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
What's New in Version 3.12.1
- Fix: crash in iOS10 when compass calibration screen is displayed and Night Mode is enabled
- Fix: Skyfire subscription expiry date not displayed for some users in certain Locales
- Fix: favorite location call out title on Google Maps could display the incorrect location title
- NEW: Location Synchronization is now free - get started today and synch your saved locations with all iOS devices and our companion web app
- NEW: Updated UI for iPad: we now use the same tab bar as on iPhone, and Locations and Visual Search use Split views to allow you to access your data more easily
- NEW: Multitasking support on iPad (to try this, drag inwards from right edge of the screen and choose TPE, or with TPE open, do the same with another app such as Safari)
- NEW: On iPhone (except 4S) in Geodetics mode, the sun/moon chart is now displayed below the geodetics chart so you can adjust time of day while viewing the changing altitude of the sun/moon
- NEW: Link to the new online Help Center in the Help screen
- Further updates for iOS 10
- Updated SDKs
- Bug fixes
Comments, questions, suggestions, problems? email@example.com
Indispensable (Professional Photographer)
I am a professional photographer and I use this all the time. My clients are particularly impressed when they are scheduling and I can tell them first what time of day we should aim for and why. (Frankly it is a big enough advantage that I don't even tell them about this app, because I want them to rely on me for that information as one more way to help cement our relationship.) When I shoot travel and tourism work and I've got a full day and a long list and everything is up to me in terms of what I shoot and when, this allows me to plan a far more efficient day.
Don't Leave Home Without It!
My go to app! Keeps getting better and better. I use this app to scout out locations and timing all the time. The perfect tool to pre-visualize and prepare to put yourself in the right place to capture the landscape image you've been dreaming of. Throw in the Photographer's Transit and you'll have the right equipment along as well. I love this/these apps!
This is a very functional and amazing app. I wish I would have had this app a long time ago. Now I can have a better idea of the lighting conditions at any location!! Love the graphical way and the amount of information available in the graphical display!
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Nov 01, 2016
- Version: 3.12.1
- Size: 54.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Crookneck Consulting LLC
- © 2010 – 2016 Crookneck Consulting LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Skyfire Plus (1-year)$44.99
- Skyfire Plus (3-months)$14.99
- Skyfire (3-months)$9.99
- Skyfire (1-year)$29.99
- Location Synch (1 year)$0.99
- Upgrade to Skyfire Plus (1-year)$15.99
- Upgrade to Skyfire Plus (3-months)$5.99