The Photographer's Ephemeris
By Crookneck Consulting LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
"Head and shoulders above the crowd is The Photographer’s Ephemeris. Odd name, great app." - National Geographic
"One of the most useful apps for any nature photographer" - Outdoor Photographer Magazine
Sun, Moon and Night Photography Planning For Outdoor Photographers.
The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) helps plan outdoor photography shoots in natural light, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It's a map-centric Sun, Moon and Milky Way calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
Whether you need at-a-glance information on today's sun and moon data for your current location, or need to plan a precise alignment of the full moon for a future shoot, TPE has the tools you need. The combination of line-of-sight analysis with visual search supports the most sophisticated sun/moon research needs.
"It worked perfectly. The program was dead on…" - National Geographic
"One of the most powerful photography applications that I've seen, one that you'll be using for years and years." - AdoramaTV
"a godsend of an app for forward-thinking landscape photographers" - MSN Tech & Gadgets
"Get it. This is a quality application that has been very thoughtfully and carefully designed." 5 Stars - BestAppSite.com
Night mode features a 3D representation of the Milky Way, pole stars and major constellations directly over the map, so you can easily visualize exactly how to align your shot.
Research and save your own list of favorite photographic locations, using 7 different map types (including 2 offline maps) and save them in your locations list. Favorite locations are always displayed right on the map.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will rise from behind nearby hills and mountains.
- Time/direction of sun, moon, and galactic center rise/set
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon and the galactic center for any time of day/night
- Milky Way visualization via 3D map overlay
- Moon phase and % illumination
- Civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- 2 topographic maps
- 2 offline map types
- Movable map pins: drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Map autorotation using the compass (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want: no fixed lists
- Celestial events including moon phases, apogee, perigee, solstice, equinox
- Network connection not required for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Automatic time zone detection
- Elevation above sea level
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Location import/export from KML
- Magnetic north option
- Configurable timeline display
- Sun/moon transit times
- 'Golden hour' time/duration
- Light pollution overlay
- Line of sight analysis
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill or ridge
- Advanced visual sun and moon search
- Azimuth or altitude search priority
- New crescent moon visibility
- Distance to the visible horizon
Available map types include:
- Standard, Satellite/Hybrid, Terrain
- OpenCycleMap Topographic
Location synch between devices and the TPE web app is available via in-app purchase (3 month free trial available, requires free account sign-up).
Sunrise/sunset color forecasts are available with a subscription to the Skyfire service, available via in-app purchase.
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection, except for offline map tiles previously downloaded and stored on your device
- Topographic map data is available only between 60°N and 47°S
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
What's New in Version 3.15
- Solar eclipse indicator: during a partial or solar eclipse, moon and sun overlap and eclipse magnitude are automatically displayed
- UI refinements
New solar eclipse indicator works not just for Aug 21 2017, but for all solar eclipses past and future! Find out more at http://ephemer.is/tpe-eclipse
Please send your feedback and suggestions to email@example.com
If your a Critical 5 shooter get it.
Personally I don't believe in the golden hour. I believe in the critical five minutes. It's in those five minutes you have to be ready. And with The Photographers Ephemeris you have plenty of time to prepare.
Like a an electronic tide schedule for the sun & moon.
Awesome app for planning photo shots. I have used it to plan my son & daughters senior proms and for planning the eclipse.
Can't figure this out
Can't figure out how to use this at all. The user guide info and video tutorials are not helpful- just way over my head.
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Aug 08, 2017
- Version: 3.15
- Size: 59.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Crookneck Consulting LLC
- © 2010 – 2017 Crookneck Consulting LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Skyfire (1-year)$29.99
- Skyfire (3-months)$9.99
- Skyfire Plus (3-months)$14.99
- Skyfire Plus (1-year)$44.99
- Upgrade to Skyfire Plus (1-year)$15.99
- Upgrade to Skyfire Plus (3-months)$5.99