The Photographer's Ephemeris
By Crookneck Consulting LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) helps you plan outdoor photography shoots in natural light, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It's a map-centric sun and moon calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
TPE is a universal app with optimized user interfaces for both iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch devices.
"Get it. This is a quality application that has been very thoughtfully and carefully designed." 5 Stars - BestAppSite.com
"Head and shoulders above the crowd is The Photographer’s Ephemeris. Odd name, great app." - National Geographic
"It worked perfectly. The program was dead on…" - National Geographic
"One of the most powerful photography applications that I've seen, one that you'll be using for years and years." - AdoramaTV
"a godsend of an app for forward-thinking landscape photographers" - MSN Tech & Gadgets
"One of the most useful apps for any nature photographer" - Outdoor Photographer Magazine
TPE's map-based approach means you aren't limited to a predefined list of locations, which often miss the places many photographers go. Instead, search for any place name on the planet or position the map pin exactly where you want it.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will be visible behind nearby hills and mountains.
- Time and direction of sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Phase of the moon and % illumination
- Times of civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- Graphical display on a wide selection of map types
- Movable map pins - drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Compass display built-in for scouting in the field (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want - no fixed lists
- Key celestial events for the year, including moon phases, solstices, equinoxes
- Does not require network connection for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Automatic time zone detection for any location on earth
- Determines elevation above sea level
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon for any time of day/night
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Offline maps support for overlay map types
- Location import from KML or KMZ
- Location export via email as KML
- Display azimuths/bearings relative to magnetic north
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill
- Visual sun and moon search: find rise/set date for a specified bearing between two map markers
- New crescent moon visibility
- Compensation for atmospheric refraction
- Compensation for elevation above the horizon
- Distance to the visible horizon
Available map types include:
- Standard, Satellite, Hybrid, Terrain
- OpenCycleMap Topographic
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection
- Topographic map data is available only between 60°N and 47°S
- Overlay maps are not always available for the highest zoom levels
- Topographic maps courtesy of OpenCycleMap.org
- Open Aerial maps have very limited coverage outside the US
- OSM and Open Aerial map tiles courtesy of MapQuest.com
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
- Future updates to TPE will require iOS 7
TPE for Desktop has been a favorite of photographers around the world for over three years. Now you can carry it with you.
What's New in Version 2.5.2
- Fix search functionality
I'm doing architectural photos and this app is great at showing the position/ angle of the sun at a particular time, and date. It even gives you estimate of shadow size.
I had a little trouble understanding the interface, but there's plenty of help online. It saves so much time! You don't go to a site at the wrong time. We'll worth the cost.
Useful photography tool
There are many cool features in this app to help photographers know exactly where the sun and moon will be at all times. The only thing that keeps this from being a 5 star review is that the program crashes on the iPad if I zoom in too far. It happens 100% of the time. Works like a charm on the iPhone though. Worth a purchase. Please developers, fix the iPad freeze when zooming.
Very useful program. Desktop version much eaiser to use but having it in the field is a big plus. I use it for so many different things, not just for photography. New features keep getting added and the application just keeps getting better!
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Sep 10, 2013
- Version: 2.5.2
- Size: 32.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Crookneck Consulting LLC
- © 2010 – 2012 Crookneck Consulting LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.