The Photographer's Ephemeris
By Crookneck Consulting LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) helps you plan outdoor photography shoots in natural light, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It's a map-centric sun and moon calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
TPE is a universal app with optimized user interfaces for both iPhone and iPads. With version 3.0, we've modernized the user interface to make the most important information easily accessible and easy to comprehend.
"Get it. This is a quality application that has been very thoughtfully and carefully designed." 5 Stars - BestAppSite.com
"Head and shoulders above the crowd is The Photographer’s Ephemeris. Odd name, great app." - National Geographic
"It worked perfectly. The program was dead on…" - National Geographic
"One of the most powerful photography applications that I've seen, one that you'll be using for years and years." - AdoramaTV
"One of the most useful apps for any nature photographer" - Outdoor Photographer Magazine
TPE's map-based approach means you aren't limited to a predefined list of locations, which often miss the places many photographers go. Instead, search for any place name on the planet or position the map pin exactly where you want it.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will be visible behind nearby hills and mountains.
- Time and direction of sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Phase of the moon and % illumination
- Times of civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- Graphical display on a wide selection of map types
- Two topographical/terrain map types
- Two offline map options
- Movable map pins: drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Track curent heading using compass (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want: no fixed lists
- Celestial events including moon phases, apogee, perigee, solstice, equinox, meteor showers, lunar and solar eclipses
- Does not require network connection for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Automatic time zone detection for any location on earth
- Determines elevation above sea level
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon for any time of day/night
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Location import from KML or KMZ
- Location export via email as KML
- Display azimuths/bearings relative to magnetic north
- Configurable timeline display
- Sun/moon transit times
- 'Golden hour' time/duration
- Line of sight analysis
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill or ridge
- Advanced visual sun and moon search: find when the full moon rises as the sun sets in a given direction
- Azimuth or altitude search priority
- New crescent moon visibility
- Compensation for atmospheric refraction
- Compensation for elevation above the horizon
- Distance to the visible horizon
Available map types include:
- Standard, Satellite/Hybrid, Terrain
- OpenCycleMap Topographic
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection, except for offline map tiles previously downloaded and stored on your device
- Topographic map data is available only between 60°N and 47°S
- Offline maps are not always available for the highest zoom levels
- Topographic maps courtesy of OpenCycleMap.org
- OSM map tiles courtesy of MapQuest.com
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
- Future updates to TPE will require iOS 8
TPE for Desktop has been a favorite of photographers around the world for over five years. Now you can carry it with you.
What's New in Version 3.1.2
- Bug fixes
New in 3.1:
- Celestial events now include solar and lunar eclipses through to 2020, plus major meteor showers (tap the date at top of the screen to view the calendar and celestial event list)
Video tutorials are available at: https://vimeo.com/channels/photoephemerisforios
Send us your feedback and questions at email@example.com. We hope you like the update.
I have had this app for a year and it has been a GREAT HELP. I take twilight photography and I can Dial in the sunset in the area I want to photography in. Find where the sunset will set and on the date that I will be in the area , a great help. I would recommend this to EVERYBODY that want to know where the sun and moon will rise and set. I have recommend this to all my friends.
The new changes (April 2015) have been greatly received easier to to use. I ALWAYS use it to plan photographic adventures. Letting me know where the sun and moon will be at the place I am traveling. Best app for traveling.
One of the greatest apps ever!
I'm always finding hidden gems in this app that make planning trips and photo shoots better. The documentation is straight forward, well organized and easy to read. Keep up the great work!!
Almost as necessary to a photographer as a camera! Simple enough to use, but with in depth and complex information.
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Apr 29, 2015
- Version: 3.1.2
- Size: 39.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Crookneck Consulting LLC
- © 2010 – 2015 Crookneck Consulting LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.