The Photographer's Ephemeris - Sun, Moon and Night Photography Planning For Outdoor Photographers
By Crookneck Consulting LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"Head and shoulders above the crowd is The Photographer’s Ephemeris. Odd name, great app." - National Geographic
"One of the most useful apps for any nature photographer" - Outdoor Photographer Magazine
The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) helps plan outdoor photography shoots in natural light, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It's a map-centric Sun, Moon and Milky Way calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
Whether you need at-a-glance information on today's sun and moon data for your current location, or need to plan a precise alignment of the full moon for a future shoot, TPE has the tools you need. The combination of line-of-sight analysis with visual search supports the most sophisticated sun/moon research needs.
"It worked perfectly. The program was dead on…" - National Geographic
"One of the most powerful photography applications that I've seen, one that you'll be using for years and years." - AdoramaTV
"a godsend of an app for forward-thinking landscape photographers" - MSN Tech & Gadgets
"Get it. This is a quality application that has been very thoughtfully and carefully designed." 5 Stars - BestAppSite.com
Night mode features a 3D representation of the Milky Way, pole stars and major constellations directly over the map, so you can easily visualize exactly how to align your shot.
Research and save your own list of favorite photographic locations, using 7 different map types (including 2 offline maps) and save them in your locations list. Favorite locations are always displayed right on the map.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will rise from behind nearby hills and mountains.
- Time/direction of sun, moon, and galactic center rise/set
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon and the galactic center for any time of day/night
- Milky Way visualization via 3D map overlay
- Moon phase and % illumination
- Civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- 2 topographic maps
- 2 offline map types
- Movable map pins: drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Map autorotation using the compass (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want: no fixed lists
- Celestial events including moon phases, apogee, perigee, solstice, equinox
- Network connection not required for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Automatic time zone detection
- Elevation above sea level
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Location import/export from KML
- Magnetic north option
- Configurable timeline display
- Sun/moon transit times
- 'Golden hour' time/duration
- Light pollution overlay
- Line of sight analysis
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill or ridge
- Advanced visual sun and moon search
- Azimuth or altitude search priority
- New crescent moon visibility
- Distance to the visible horizon
Available map types include:
- Standard, Satellite/Hybrid, Terrain
- OpenCycleMap Topographic
Location synch between devices and the TPE web app is available via in-app purchase (3 month free trial available, requires free account sign-up).
Sunrise/sunset color forecasts are available with a subscription to the Skyfire service, available via in-app purchase.
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection, except for offline map tiles previously downloaded and stored on your device
- Topographic map data is available only between 60°N and 47°S
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
What's New in Version 3.11.3
- Fixes crash on iOS 10 when using Night mode
Comments, questions, suggestions, problems? email@example.com
Great for photographers and good for anyone who likes sunsets, sunrises, and the stars
Long title I know but seriously you should get this app. It's really useful for photographers whether they are doing urban portraits or canyon landscapes. The ability to know where the sun will be during the day allows you to plan your craft like never before. If you like shooting the stars there is no better app for knowing where the celestial objects will be like the moon, galaxy center, and all the constellations.
Regular updates and a responsive developer make this one of the finest apps I've ever used. Get it!
The BEST app!!!
This app is an absolute must have for any Landscape Photographer!
The first thing I did after getting familiar with the apps controls was to get on the map and
Pin, and save all my favorite places, and places
I plan on shooting in the future.
That way I can use my ipad offline at any of the locations and still be able to use all the calculators for sunrise and set, and moonrise and set. And also be able to track the stars!
You will be able to plan when and where you want to shoot months ahead.
Photographers must have...
TPE is an excellent tool that eliminates the guess work for those of us who natural light. With the addition of Skyfire I can sleep in, with a great amount of certainty, and not miss a outstanding sunrise..
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Sep 07, 2016
- Version: 3.11.3
- Size: 54.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Crookneck Consulting LLC
- © 2010 – 2016 Crookneck Consulting LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Skyfire (3-months)$9.99
- Skyfire Plus (3-months)$14.99
- Skyfire (1-year)$29.99
- Location Synch (1 year)$0.99
- Skyfire Plus (1-year)$44.99
- Upgrade to Skyfire Plus (1-year)$15.99
- Upgrade to Skyfire Plus (3-months)$5.99