The Register-Guard e-Edition lets readers view their favorite newspaper on an iOS device with all the stories, ads and photos shown exactly as it appears in print.
- Improved stability and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Great paper substitute
The register guard e-edition or replica is really a nice way to read the paper. Just as with paper you see and read stories that you are not looking for. You see the print ads. You know that the editors felt that the stories were worth printing on paper. The e-edition read on an ipad is a great alternative in this age.
Some potential, but falls short
Good to see the RG trying to use the latest, greatest technology to deliver the newspaper in new and innovative ways! But this app falls short. I'd like to see the RG take advantage of iOS5's Newsstand service and lower their subscription rates for electronic-only delivery.
As for the bugs... First of all, I want to be able to download the day's paper (e.g., in the morning before I leave for work) and then be able to view it throughout the rest of the day regardless of whether I have an internet connection or not. Even though this app purports to support this mode of operation, I've yet to be able to make this work completely. Every time, only *some* of the edition gets loaded (even though the progress indicator makes it all the way to 100%). I'm left with page images that don't load completely and unavailable article text and inline images. This mode of operation is simply mandatory for an app such as this!
Second, the app often fails to "notice" the available internet connection upon launch. It says it's unable to connect to the internet even though a connection is, in fact, available. Relaunching the app usually fixes the problem.
Ideally, daily editions should be delivered automatically. I don't like having to manually load it (which doesn't work anyway) before I head out for the day. Hopefully, we'll see the RG using iOS 5's Newsstand in the weeks/months ahead.
Still some room for improvement
I'm a regular subscriber when in Eugene and use the e-Edition when out of town which is frequently. I have found that I prefer downloading the PDF version to my laptop as I find it a better option -- even though I would rather use my iPad than my laptop.
The two suggestions/complaints I have regarding this App are:
1) When scrolling vertically down a page in the single-page Flip view, it seems that even a slight deviation from moving my finger straight down the screen will cause it to go to the previous or next page rather than down the page. A gesture that is 98% vertical with a very tiny angle to one side or the other should result in a vertical scroll and not a horizontal one. I've never seen this issue in any other app.
2) A lesser issue that when finished reading at the bottom of one page and using the arrow button at the right (again in single-page Flip view) it would be nice if the next page displayed the top of the page rather than the bottom.
- GateHouse Media, Inc.
- 46.1 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2018, The Register-Guard
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.