Unique in its international coverage of religion, current affairs, politics, social issues and the arts, The Tablet is a weekly Catholic journal which has been reporting on events of significance for over 170 years.
Every week The Tablet provides in-depth and balanced coverage on a wide range of subjects and its contribution to topical issues is strengthened by its contributors: each issue contains the work of writers drawn from all over the world, whose names are familiar in their particular field of experience.
The Church in the World section reports on events within the Church internationally, covering Europe, Rome, Asia, the Pacific, Africa and the Americas. The Home News section reports on news within UK churches, both Catholic and other Christian. In addition the latest church documents are analysed and discussed
The Notebook section gives a light-hearted round-up of recent events, often with a humorous tone and the Letters section offers lively and intelligent debate from readers worldwide.
No mention of The Tablet would be complete without reference to the widely respected Books section. Its detailed reviews are comprehensive, across a wide variety of subjects from philosophy to film appreciation and Christian apologetics to crime fiction. And the Arts section includes reviews of galleries and exhibitions, theatre, cinema, television, radio, music and opera.
The iPad/iPhone edition brings you selected pages from the latest issue as soon as it is published. You can subscribe within the application for full access, which brings you every page of the issue and a searchable archive back to 26 November 2011. Issues are not sold individually - for the duration of your subscription you have access to every issue in this archive.
During your subscription you can sync back issues to your device. These will remain in place if your subscription expires, unless your device removes them (for example when running low on disk space). Re-downloading issues requires a current subscription.
• Swipe or tap the page edges to flip to next/previous page.
• Use the animated thumbnail view to flick through the pages.
• Pinch or double-tap pages to zoom.
• Switch between single or double-page view.
• Search the current issue or the archive.
• Tap any page links to web sites, email addresses, phone numbers or maps.
• Tap contents-page links to jump to a particular article.
• Sync back issues to your device for offline reading (requires wi-fi).
• Network connection required otherwise.
We recommend first running the app within a wi-fi area so it can sync the latest issue to your device - after that you can use it anywhere. Subscribers will receive new issues automatically via Newsstand.
Subscriptions are available within the app at the following prices:
£7.99 per month
£74.99 per year
In addition, please note the following standard features of auto-renewable iTunes subscriptions:
• Your payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscriptions will renew automatically unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings in iTunes after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
and our terms of service here:
● Bugfixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Worst Magazine App
I read most of my magazines on the ipad and I have subscriptions to many. None is worst than the Tablet. The Tablet itself is a fine magazine. They just need to learn how to develop an app. The app is simply a PDF. You cannot highlight anything. You cannot email an article. It is tiny on a screen, you have to zoom. Once you have finished reading a page, you have to remove it from zoom before you can move to the new page. They are rarely any updates to the app. I actually regret doing the ipad subscription. Now I have to wait for almost a year for my $109 or so to run out before I can cancel the subscription. I wish I could cancel the subscription. Stay away from ipad subscription unless you are willing to endure the inconveniences. They should hire the app design team of Time magazine.
Fine periodical, well-presented
For years, The Tablet has been a solid, balanced British Catholic newspaper. This app gives it an attractive digital presentation. One thing I'd appreciate is the ability to email an article to a friend. This could be a way to advertise the app to others (hint, hint!).
- Exact Editions Ltd
- 11.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © 2018 Exact Editions Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- The Tablet $9.99
- The Tablet $94.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.