The United Methodist Hymnal
By Christian Classics Ethereal Library
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This is the official iPad edition of The United Methodist Hymnal (1989) authorized by The United Methodist Publishing House. The app includes page scans of the hymnal, powerful search capabilities, information about songs and their authors, and the ability to access several different versions of songs including pew, large print, lead sheet, and instrumental (strings, brass, and woodwinds).
This free app includes the 281 public domain songs in The United Methodist Hymnal. Through in-app purchases, you can add the following editions which includes all public domain and most copyrighted hymns:
• Pew edition for the complete hymnal* ($24.99)
• Keyboard edition for the complete hymnal** ($24.99)
• Large Print edition for the complete hymnal** ($19.99)
• FlexScore edition for the complete hymnal** ($99.99)
• Transposed editions (scores for specific instruments) for the complete hymnal** ($39.99)
• Individual FlexScores – one version of one song ($1.99)
• Individual FlexScores – all versions of one song ($9.99)
* Hymns and services only
** Hymns only, no services or readings
Many songs include links to resources for background information and for worship planning, such as related scripture passages, topics, worship notes on the text and tune, PowerPoint slides, and available choral and instrumental arrangements.
The search box allows you to search for songs by first line, author, composer, topic, or scripture passages quoted or alluded to. A handy keypad lets you jump immediately to a song by number.
Our revolutionary FlexScores are available for most songs. Through FlexScores you can adjust the music and text size of the scores, transpose the key, and change capo. The versions offered for FlexScores include pew, lead sheet, violin, viola, cello, bass, flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, alto saxophone, soprano or tenor saxophone, horn, trumpet, trombone, and tuba. For instrumental versions, the music is transposed into an appropriate range and displayed in an appropriate clef for the instrument (based on the same part arrangement of the printed hymnal).
You may use the "setlist" feature to pre-arrange hymns in your preferred order (for example, the song sequence in a worship service). When you "play" the "setlist" you can go to the next pre-determined songs with one flip!
Flip the page with a foot pedal! With an optional, Bluetooth enabled, foot pedal (bought separately) you may turn pages back and forth using a compatible foot pedal. A great convenience for instrumental players!
- This app does NOT play any audio of hymns.
- A network connection is required to access hymn background information, and view most FlexScores.
- While editions (such as the Pew Edition or FlexScore Edition) of the hymnal can be transferred to other devices, individual FlexScores -- both the $1.99 and $9.99 versions -- cannot be transferred to other devices.
- Due to copyright permissions, we cannot display the following hymns in the app, even after you purchase one of the editions of the hymnal: 132, 161, 499, 632, and 728. We are continually working on gathering the necessary permissions to display such hymns.
What's New in Version 1.5
- Added six more hymns (123, 177, 310, 601, 641, and 841)
- Fixed a bug where scripture search results were not sorted by hymn number
- Fixed a bug where some search entries were showing up as "NULL"
- Fixed a bug where hymns 897 to 904 were not showing up
- Improved error messages so they are more understandable
Sadly lacking most content
This free download of the UM Hymnal is in an alpha state: unless you know the hymn number of those few dusty public domain tunes actually available here, you will spend most of your time scrolling through pages announcing "The pew edition of this hymn may be purchased as part of the following products:" for $24.99. I could not find a preference which will display only public domain hymns, so i had to scroll past pages and pages of "buy me" before getting to an actual hymn, #57 O For A Thousand Tongues to Sing, which thankfully looks just like the printed version.
This app does allow you to create a single "setlist" where you can then save what you have found, but most of them were written when slavery was still allowed, fewer still created before the advent of the telegraph. Greyed out menu choices hint at what is available with the paid editions (priced from $20-$100) but in its current state guitarists are out of luck with this app: not a single chord shown. Hours of frustration could be saved by a menu choice of "display public domain hymns only" but sadly, no. An hour would be better spent going to church rather than wasting it hunting through this app for something useful. Love my church-highly disappointed with this app.
Can't wait for the rest of the hymns to be added!
- Category: Books
- Updated: Jul 25, 2016
- Version: 1.5
- Size: 77.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Christian Classics Ethereal Library
- © 2016 Hymnary.org
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Pew Edition$24.99
- Keyboard Edition$24.99
- One FlexScore Version$1.99
- FlexScore Edition$99.99
- Large Print Edition$19.99
- Bass Edition$39.99
- B-flat Edition$39.99
- FlexScore Edition$9.99
- Soprano Edition$39.99