The Very Hungry Caterpillar™ & Friends First Words is an adorable preschool learning app for tablets and mobile phones that will delight and encourage young children as they learn their first words. Featuring The Very Hungry Caterpillar™ and other much-loved characters, the app introduces early learners to over 80 words, from farm animals to family and food.
It's also the perfect app for parents and little ones to share, combining enchanting illustrations by Eric Carle, simple word labels, and friendly narration. In addition, you can turn the app into a language-learning tool for students of all ages, simply by choosing a second language in the menu.
The app is just like a real book, so it’s easy to find your way around. Each page is introduced by a playful rhyme, while bright and colorful images pop-up magically as each 3D scene opens. When your child taps a picture, they see and hear the associated word, making this a powerful tool for learning new words as well as reinforcing those they already know. The final page is a quiz, allowing young readers to see what they have learned. With the second language option, they also can explore other languages too, including Spanish, French and German.
The words are grouped into 13 different categories to get children thinking and talking about the world around them, including farm, jungle, sea and garden animals, food, clothing, family, transport and objects around the home.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar™ & Friends First Words is part of the StoryToys Jr line. Designed for young children aged 15 months to 3+ years old, it includes the following features:
• Full 3D experience - just like a real book
• Stunning illustrations by best-selling author Eric Carle
• 13 interactive 3D pop-up scenes and over 80 words
• Quiz section
• Choice of English, French, German and Spanish as either a primary or secondary language
• Fully narrated in each language by professional actors
• Featuring a fun soundtrack and atmospheric sound effects
• Winner of the BolognaRagazzi Digital Award, 2015
• 11 Children’s Technology Review Editor’s Choice Awards
• 2 iLounge awards for best kids’ app
• 2 Mom’s Choice gold awards
• Mom’s Choice Silver award
• Shortlist nominations for the FutureBook Digital Innovation Award
• Best Kids’ App Ever winner
• Longlisted for the DBW Publishing innovation award
• 8 Tech With Kids Best Pick App Awards
Now including Korean, Japanese and Simplified Chinese as language learning options!
Ratings and Reviews
These apps are great. My child loves them and they do a wonderful job of helping her to calm down when she’s over stimulated.
No Sound at all
Complete rip off. Keeps telling me my phone is in silent mode but all other apps have sound. How convenient for them that there is no way to contact the company through the app.
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with our app. Normally problems with sound are due to the fact that the mute switch on the device is engaged. This can be a little confusing because not all apps obey the mute button, but ours do, so while you will be able to hear other apps, you would not be able to hear ours.
All you have to do is toggle the mute switch which is located on the side of your tablet or smartphone. Once you toggle it you will hear sound again. If there is no mute button please slide up the menu from the bottom of the iPad screen to find the mute button icon.
If you still cannot hear sound, please try the following: Go to Settings > General. Under "Use Side Switch To" please ensure that the "Mute" option is selected, and not the "Lock Rotation" button. Then ensure that the Lock / Unlock setting is switched on (to unlock). You might have to restart your device afterwards.
If this doesn't work let us know please email email@example.com and we will look into it further for you. We're sorry you couldn't contact us. For future reference you might try searching the internet to find a developer's website, which will usually provide a contact email address or support form.
StoryToys Support Team
No sound on iPad 3
No sound at all on iPad 3 and tells me that mute is on but other apps work fine. Also have an iPad Air 2 that works fine, but the older one is supposed to be for the toddler to use. Refund, please!
- StoryToys Entertainment Limited
- 103.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © StoryToys Ltd, 2017
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.