The Wall Street Journal.
By Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
News You Can Trust Wherever You Are – Subscribe Today and Get 4 Weeks Free!
An important decision can happen anywhere. Use The Wall Street Journal to get our trusted and authoritative news while you’re on the go. Read by more high-level decision makers than any other media, WSJ's market-moving journalism ensures you a competitive advantage in a world where every second counts.
Here are just a few of the many features of our app:
• A fully-multimedia experience with interactive graphics, vibrant photo slideshows, and high-quality video.
• Updated 24/7 so the latest news is always at your disposal.
• Share and save articles to make sure the information you need is right where you want it.
• Expanded lifestyle content spanning arts & entertainment, luxury real estate, tech, fashion, sports and more.
Subscribe for $22.99 per month to receive unlimited digital access on iPad, iPhone, all other WSJ tablet & smartphone apps, and WSJ Online.
Your subscription will renew automatically each month and payment will be charged to your iTunes Account within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. You can turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase. No cancellation of your subscription is allowed during the active subscription period.
What's New in Version 5.5.7
- IMPORTANT: Fixed logout bug introduced in the last version
- Fixed iOS 5.1 crash
- Fixed crashes on issue downloads and updates
- Fixed crash on issue delete which was causing app size to to expand to multiple gigs
- Fixed a crash when opening the app via Smart App Banners in Safari
- Fixed a freeze on the iPhone navigation menu
If you like WSJ, please take the time to review the app or update an existing review.
Wonderful newspaper, terrible app
I sometimes wish the wsj was a worse newspaper, then I'd be easier to stop bothering with this app. Below are some examples of the issues I've seen.
1 - Regardless of how many times I've downloaded content, if the app sees an internet connection, it tries to re download everything. If I'm somewhere with limited internet access (like a subway), I lose everything and get a message that I need an internet connection to read an article I just downloaded 5 minutes earlier.
2 - the app constantly takes up more space on my phone. I don't know why since for some reason articles tend to disappear (point 1 above).
3 - I get several crashes per day on the app. No reason why. It just stops working. And then I run the risk of point 1 coming back. No content even though I downloaded everything 5 minutes earlier.
I would like to point users to the NYT app to see what a properly coded iPhone newspaper program should look like. Fast. Small. Always updated.
The WSJ itself is top-notch, but every update of the app leaves bugs, usually causing freezes, shut-downs and the like. It speaks poorly to the developers' attention to detail and craftsmanship. The Journal deserves better.
Given the importance of availability by mobile device, and the slow, inevitable decline of the paper medium, they're making a major mistake in sticking with the current app development team and approach. At some point, frustration with the app will drive some users to try alternative content, like the Economist, or even the New York Times. WSJ content is clearly more accurate than the Times, and more comprehensive than the Economist, but the consistently poor app imposes a sort of time-and-attention tax on users trying to get to it. As the folks at the Journal know, taxation tends to reduce consumption of its object.
Login problem appears fixed, but other basic deficiencies
Edit: in the time it took me to write my review, they released a new update. My original comments are below. Since we still cannot read/ edit comments, click on links, and are missing some basic navigation functionality of the website, I will only raise my review to 3 stars.
Original review: This last version won't stay logged in. I have to log in each time I use the app. But what is even more frustrating is that it freezes in the log in screen, rendering the app useless. For the amount we are paying each year for a subscription, the WSJ should not be releasing these flawed versions. Also, why can we still not read or add comments in the app? Less glitz, more function.
- Category: News
- Updated: Mar 27, 2014
- Version: 5.5.7
- Size: 17.5 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese, Korean
- Seller: Wall Street Journal
- © 2014 Dow Jones & Company. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Wall Street Journal$22.99
- The Wall Street Journal Mobile$12.99
- The Wall Street Journal Asia$22.99
- The Wall Street Journal Europe$22.99
- The Wall Street Journal 日本$22.99
- The Wall Street Journal Deutschland$22.99