The Weather Channel® Max
By The Weather Channel Interactive
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Want the best WEATHER™ app, without the ads? With over 200 meteorologists and our ultra-local TruPoint(sm) forecasting technology, The Weather Channel® MAX helps you plan the best day possible in an ad free environment.
Our Favorite Features:
- Expect Rain tab on your Now screen
- Customizable radar maps (past & FUTURE radar)
- Detailed WEATHER™ conditions and 15-minute forecasts
- Severe WEATHER™ push alerts & badges
- Swipe between your favorite locations
- Choose from our beautiful, dynamic WEATHER™ backgrounds OR upload your own photos (under settings)
- Refresh icon
- Search icon
- “Find Me Now” helps you get the WEATHER™ for your TruPoint(sm) location (found next to the search box)
- Settings icon
We love when you take the time to provide us with your feedback. Please submit all questions and comments to http://feedback.weather.com
SUPPORTS iOS 6.0 AND ABOVE
What's New in Version 5.3.1
- USER INTERFACE UPDATE with cleaner design for faster navigation to your live radar and maps, the latest videos, and local pollen levels
- EXPECT RAIN tab on your Now screen. If snow, rain or thunderstorms start or change in the next 6 hours the EXPECT RAIN tab appears to let you know
- New video player with enhanced viewing experience
- Bug fixes and performance enhancements
- Improved severe WEATHER™ alerts
Best weather graphics, slow data refreshes
UPDATE (04/14 w/iOS 7.1)
When videos are played, there is no onscreen button to switch the audio from a Bluetooth headset to iPhone speakers! If you've plugged your headset into a charger and walked away from it, you have to leave this App for Settings and turn off Bluetooth to hear the audio. By the time you do this, these short weather reports are finished! Huge oversight.
Also, The feedback link in the App may be too well hidden..
Nice, full-featured weather App, with forecasts, videos, alerts and attractive radar maps that have crisp graphics and sharp text (unlike Weather Bug, which uses Microsoft maps that display fuzzy text on Apple devices). I especially like the new (late 2010) toggle switch to display full screen maps.
However, Weather Channel radar maps are only updated every 30-45 minutes, and the 'live' radar is not as accurate as Weather Bug 'live' maps, which typically are only a few minutes behind real-time weather.
I like the clean design if the Weather Channel App best for most days, but I switch to Weather Bug during storms for up-to-the-minute, real-time reports.
Needs some touch up
When the radar animation moves at inconsistent increments of of time, it's difficult to tell what what a storm is going to do. The "future" option is too blurry to use, and I trust my own guess by looking at the "past" option more. Should be at every 5 or 10 minutes. One other problem, also with the radar feature is that the pin at a particular location is green. Whenever a decent storm is going through a preset location, the majority of the storm shows up green on radar. I've experienced the inability to see the pin because the rain is the same color. The last issue I have is that when looking at the hourly forecast, the information is incomplete for each hour. Everything ends with ..., and there isn't a way to get the details without using another weather app. I work outside most of the time, so I really need an accurate weather app that gives complete information.
The new UI doesn't bother me. The app works well, it's fast and easy to use. If you really want to out the old version back on, that's really simple. Drag the old version out of the trash and back to "apps" in itunes. It'll ask you if you want to replace the current version and hit yes. The old one will go back on and the update will reappear. But this version is fine by me and the most accurate so far.
Update: 5.3.1 is a sleeker look. Yes, they do need another update to do the entire UI all over again. They really need to at least hide the screens at the bottom. But I have been comparing WCM to Weather Underground and Accu Weather and WCM is more accurate and that is what matters most.
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Apr 24, 2013
- Version: 5.3.1
- Size: 18.4 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: The Weather Channel
- Copyright © 1995-2013, The Weather Channel Interactive, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.