World Factbook 2013
By jDictionary Mobile
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
* Featured by Apple in the "New and Noteworthy" and "What's Hot" sections!
* Ready for iOS 7!
The World Factbook 2013 is the reliable and extremely popular source of information on all the nations of the world.
It provides up-to-date, valuable data for more than 250 countries and territories in a concise, well-organized format whenever and wherever you want.
The World Factbook also provides interesting chapters for our changing planet, oceans and parts of the world whose status has not yet been resolved (e.g., West Bank, Spratly Islands).
Topics addressed include natural resources, industries, GDP, religion, ethnic groups, legal system and much more.
Key data are grouped under the headings of introduction/background, geography, people, government, economy, energy, communications, transportation, military, transnational issues.
The World Factbook is a must-have application for those who possess a curiosity or concern about the rapidly changing world in which we live.
Up to date - The World Factbook 2013 database is updated regularly, updates are free of charge
Spectacular - In addition to detailed country profiles, The World Factbook features interesting chapters for our changing planet, oceans and parts of the world whose status has not yet been resolved
Built-in high-resolution (5726 megapixel) offline world atlas - You don't need an internet connection to use it
Country comparison function - It allows users to quickly view how countries rank in different categories
Widely accepted - The World Factbook database is used by many government agencies, businessmen, students etc. Hundreds of thousands of users worldwide
Fast look-ups, snappy user interface, smooth-scrolling screens
Editable history/bookmarks function
Multitasking & Retina display support
Designed specifically for iPhone/iPod touch
No internet connection required
What's New in Version 5.2
- iOS 7 compatible
- Content update
- Various health fields in the People and Society section - including "Hospital bed density," "Physician density," "Health expenditures," "Drinking water source," "Sanitation facility access," and "Children under 5 underweight" - have recently been updated for all countries.
- In the Economy and Energy categories, the information and data for most of the fields have been updated.
- Several Military fields have been updated including "Military branches," "Military service age and obligation," and "Military expenditures."
- A new "Demographic profile" field is being introduced incrementally to The World Factbook; the entry provides a snapshot of the demographic features and trends within a country and how they vary among regional, ethnic, and socioeconomic sub-populations. Some of the topics addressed are population age structure, fertility, health, mortality, poverty, education, and migration. Countries introduced this week are those of Central and South America.
- The "Refugees and internally displaced persons" field (in the Transnational Issues category) has been revised to reflect the latest available figures for each country.
- The Transportation section has been updated for various West African, East African, South Asian, and Southeast Asian countries to reflect information on piracy incidents. The new information reflects a general decrease in the number of pirate attacks worldwide, especially in the waters off East Africa. The decrease in successful pirate attacks is due, in part, to more aggressive anti-piracy operations by international naval forces as well as the increased use of armed security teams aboard merchant ships.
Comprehensive Data Source
I use it frequently to supplement a news story or to study country rankings by one of the many parameters available.
The summaries for each country's economy, government, people etc. are excellent, quick studies to provide context for a news story.
Facts on countries of the worldl
I have been using this app for 4 years now. A wealth of information at the touch of a button on any country in the world. I have found it particularly useful during the Olympics as I looked up info on any country that I became interested in.
All you need
For a quick fact check its the best app available that I can find. I am studying international relations and it is helpful in a pinch. Wish they had a little more history on current governments along with more info on each country's military
- Category: Reference
- Updated: May 01, 2013
- Version: 5.2
- Size: 120 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Csaba Kertesz
- © 2009-2014 jDictionary Mobile
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.