The Yale Book of Quotations
By English Channel, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Discover new and exciting quotations and proverbs to ignite your literary passions.
The Yale Book of Quotations app brings together a collection of over 13,000 quotes and proverbs from Yale University Press’s award-winning title The Yale Book of Quotations, edited by Fred R. Shapiro and the companion edition, The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs, compiled by Charles Clay Doyle, Wolfgang Mieder, and Fred R. Shapiro.
The content has a unique focus on American quotations and proverbs, and includes topics from literary and historical sources to popular culture, sports, computers, science, politics, law, and the social sciences. The app will allow visitors to seek specific quotes, search by subject, or just enjoy browsing. The app provides a fun, highly-usable experience for lovers of words and language everywhere.
The app provides easy-to-use features, including:
* Full search for all entries within The Yale Book of Quotations and The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs
* The ability to share favorite quotations and proverbs via email, Twitter, Facebook, and Evernote
* Quotation of the Day feature
* Complete offline use - no internet connection required
* Universal app design, making it usable on multiple devices
* "Retina Display" support
* Hyperlinked cross-references for easy navigation
* The ability to bookmark and organize entries in personal folders
* Browse by author last name or by proverb keyword
* Swipe through entries as if flipping through pages of the book
* Access lifetime usage history of app
******* Reviews *******
"The Yale Book of Quotations…brings modern voices into the company of standbys like Shakespeare, Samuel Johnson and Mark Twain, who squeeze together and make room for B.B. King, Fran Lebowitz, and Stanislaw Jerzy Lec." -William Grimes, New York Times (The Gifts to Open Again and Again)
"Not only is the The Yale Book of Quotations a more profoundly researched work than anything else to date, it is more comprehensive than any other quotation-reference work—the first, in fact, to emphasize modern and American sources and fully to represent popular culture, children's literature, sports, computers, politics, law, and the social sciences." -BookForum
“The Yale Book of Quotations”, ©2006 by Fred Shapiro
“The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs”, ©2012 by Yale University
What's New in Version 6.0
Now search both titles at the same time.
Better iOS7 support.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 04, 2014
- Version: 6.0
- Size: 17.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bosnian, Catalan, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Lithuanian, Malay, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Seller: English Channel, Inc.
- © Yale University
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.