Discover new and exciting quotations and proverbs to ignite your literary passions.
The Yale Book of Quotations app brings together a collection of over 13,000 quotes and proverbs from Yale University Press’s award-winning title The Yale Book of Quotations, edited by Fred R. Shapiro and the companion edition, The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs, compiled by Charles Clay Doyle, Wolfgang Mieder, and Fred R. Shapiro.
The content has a unique focus on American quotations and proverbs, and includes topics from literary and historical sources to popular culture, sports, computers, science, politics, law, and the social sciences. The app will allow visitors to seek specific quotes, search by subject, or just enjoy browsing. The app provides a fun, highly-usable experience for lovers of words and language everywhere.
The app provides easy-to-use features, including:
* Full search for all entries within The Yale Book of Quotations and The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs
* The ability to share favorite quotations and proverbs via email, Twitter, Facebook, and Evernote
* Quotation of the Day feature
* Complete offline use - no internet connection required
* Universal app design, making it usable on multiple devices
* "Retina Display" support
* Hyperlinked cross-references for easy navigation
* The ability to bookmark and organize entries in personal folders
* Browse by author last name or by proverb keyword
* Swipe through entries as if flipping through pages of the book
* Access lifetime usage history of app
******* Reviews *******
"The Yale Book of Quotations…brings modern voices into the company of standbys like Shakespeare, Samuel Johnson and Mark Twain, who squeeze together and make room for B.B. King, Fran Lebowitz, and Stanislaw Jerzy Lec." -William Grimes, New York Times (The Gifts to Open Again and Again)
"Not only is the The Yale Book of Quotations a more profoundly researched work than anything else to date, it is more comprehensive than any other quotation-reference work—the first, in fact, to emphasize modern and American sources and fully to represent popular culture, children's literature, sports, computers, politics, law, and the social sciences." -BookForum
“The Yale Book of Quotations”, ©2006 by Fred Shapiro
“The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs”, ©2012 by Yale University
Ratings and Reviews
Disappointed because I had to give it a 3 star. It is really a 2 1/2. I expected more from Yale. As far as searching, it is okay although it feels clunky which I know is hard to explain. It is not attractive but that is in the eye of the beholder.
After using Yale, my favorite quotation app remains 23,000 Quotations. I love the random browse feature in that app. It is a great way to generate ideas.
When all is said and done, Yale is fine for searching for proverbs or quotations but certainly not worth $10. This is a $4-5 app even if it carries the Yale brand.
Worth the price
I have tried a lot of quotation apps, but this one feels like a book. I find myself flipping through the pages and enjoying everything I read. Worth the money!
Hard to use, overpriced
There are lots of quotes, and maybe they're well-curated, but the app is clunky and hard to use. The search is at least fast. But if I wanted to search for quotes for someone specific I'd use a search engine. This is not worth $9.99.
- English Channel, Inc.
- 42.2 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Bosnian, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Lithuanian, Malay, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © Yale University
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.