By Hunter Research and Technology, LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Theodolite HD is a multi-function viewfinder that combines a compass, two-axis inclinometer, rangefinder, GPS, map, nav calculator, and geo-overlay photo/movie camera into one indispensable app. Theodolite was one of the very first augmented reality apps when it was released in 2009, and it’s been downloaded and used by millions of customers since then. Uses are endless, and the app is great for land measurements, outdoor sports, sightseeing, navigation, and finding your way around. Theodolite is a pro grade app and is used extensively by surveyors, geologists, architects, engineers, competitive sportsmen, first responders, military personnel, and search and rescue workers around the world.
Theodolite lets you take data-overlay camera images and movies, with 2X-8X digital zoom and fast image processing. You can overlay geographical data, date, time, and custom notes directly on photos and movies for later reference.
View your current position on the built in map, with optional new offline Outdoors maps that include topo contours (feet or meters), roads, trails, landmarks, campgrounds, ski lifts, and more. Live map markers continually update distance/heading relative to the current location and also show wayfinding info on the main camera screen.
Share map markers and nav calculator points with other users of Theodolite via text messages or e-mail. This powerful capability opens up a wide range of collaborative uses which include team land surveying, accident investigations, spotting of wild fires, triangulation of landmarks, and advanced tactical observation and targeting operations.
Theodolite includes features for serious users like a reference angle mode, nav calculator, map marker import/export, data logging with CSV and KML export (via e-mail or iCloud Drive), system-wide clipboard integration, percent grade display, mil compass readout, optical rangefinders (including a mil-based reticle, sniper-style stadiametric graphs, and a variable 4X-24X scope), and colored lens filters to improve use in dark conditions and preserve night vision.
Theodolite can provide location in military grid reference system (MGRS) coordinates, Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) coordinates, British/Irish National Grids, US National Grid, Maidenhead locator system, and six latitude/longitude formats. Optional US State Plane coordinates include SPCS27 and SPCS83 zones covering all US States. The optional Datum Pack adds over 230 geodetic datums to the app for more accurate position computation from GPS data, covering regions and countries on all continents around the world.
With an optional in-app purchase to enable team tracking, you can share location with up to 20 people on Theodolite's map. Team tracking was developed in conjunction with search and rescue experts to offer a good balance between simplicity and performance.
Theodolite has been shown in Apple Keynotes, featured on the App Store, and has been a #1 selling Navigation app in App Stores around the world. Since its introduction in 2009, Theodolite has defined augmented reality navigation. The app continually introduces new technologies, pushing the limits of iOS app development and taking advantage of new hardware capabilities.
Find out why Apple named Theodolite one of the most amazing apps available and showed it being used to explore the Great Wall of China. Where will you take it on your next adventure?
Theodolite requires an iPhone or iPod touch (see the “Theodolite HD” app for use on iPad).
What's New in Version 6.0
* Option for coupled Euler angle convention for elevation/horizon
* Added 8X zoom on devices with dual cameras
* Added CSV file to log export
* Log export option for iCloud Drive
* Separate options for date/time and data in photo overlay settings
* Added option to also save original image when taking overlay photos and screenshots
* Added date to main viewfinder screen
* Added log notes to placemark descriptions in KML log export
* New SPCS83 options for US survey feet and standard feet added to State Plane in-app purchase
* SPCS 83 Easting,Northing search on map screen (with State Plane in-app purchase)
* New option for Maidenhead locator system coordinates
* Compass calculation improvements at off-angles
* Import and export options for map markers (KML format)
* New "delete all" option for map markers
* Costa Rica 2005 (CR05) and Hong Kong 1980 (HK80) datums added to Datum Pack in-app purchase
* Added ability to get directions to map markers using Apple Maps
* Added 6th decimal place display precision for lat/lon coordinates (does not imply that GPS will be accurate to 6th decimal place)
* Display formatted position string in log in addition to lat/lon
* Increased precision for A-B calculations
* Region bug fix for offline maps
* Fix to KML export to correct camera view angle
* Scale indicator shown on map
Theodolite Pro is a fascinating application showcasing some of the abilities the iPhone is capable of. Whether playing around and curiously experimenting, or seriously putting your iPhone to work, it's surprising to find quite a few uses limited only by one's imagination.
So far the application has worked flawlessly and been extremely accurate.
This app would be a great gift to a student learning geometry, or an outdoors person with a curious nature, or just someone who likes to experiment. I've seen lots of articles and apps about compasses , levels, protractors , and similar devices. None that I have read about or used can match Theodolite.
Additionally, Theodolite is a well thought out app with a great user manual. I haven't had an issue or crash using Theodolite on a 3GS, 4S, and 6 Plus on their various IOS versions. This is one app that will stay on my device.
I’ve had this app for quite a while and love it. It has a lot of information all brought together in a handy way. I use while hiking using it and my USGS 7.5 minute topo maps (or the Topo Map app). It uses the iPhone camera, so I often take a couple of pictures with it to help orient me when I’m traveling or taking photos in unfamiliar territory. It’s a survey and navigation tool and has a lot of data on each picture, not designed to replace your camera. I have not had any issues with it, and it’s GPS and compass correlate well with the GPS and compass on the iPhone and the Topo Maps app.
A beginner's view
Theodolite does a lot of stuff, more than I've had time to learn about so far. Currently I use it to photograph invasive plants, and can email the photo with coordinates to someone else, or to my own machine at work. One hitch--it worked for a while, but then I stopped receiving the emails. Turns out they were hung up in the iPhone mail outbox. Just select and resend. I look forward to learning about the other features as I get a chance. I haven't checked the coordinates against a handheld GPS yet, but it is accurate enough for my use.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Nov 03, 2017
- Version: 6.0
- Size: 6.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Craig Hunter
- © 2009-2017 Hunter Research and Technology LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Datum Pack$2.99
- 5,000 Map Tile Credits$0.99
- Team Tracking$0.99
- 20,000 Map Tile Credits$3.99
- US State Plane Coordinates$19.99
- 10,000 Map Tile Credits$1.99
- 50,000 Map Tile Credits$8.99
- 200,000 Map Tile Credits$27.99
- 100,000 Map Tile Credits$15.99