Thesaurus Rex by Dictionary.com
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Thesaurus Rex by Dictionary.com revolutionizes the thesaurus for the first time in 160 years. We’ve added modern content and synonyms for new words such as epiphany & stakeholder, plus 30,000 more new entries. WORKS OFFLINE.
Save time with proprietary features: Sort synonyms with filters such as Relevance, Complexity, Length and more. Create personalized lists of your favorite synonyms. Quickly refine any style of writing & find the perfect words.
TIP: Student? Find the perfect word and synonyms fast with our “best match” feature. Writer? Refine and sort your synonyms by Length, Complexity, Relevance and more. Poet or songwriter? Rhymes & Syllables is only available here and will help any lyricist.
* The only advanced English thesaurus with modern content, with over 550,000 new and modern synonyms, antonyms and definitions from Thesaurus.com and Dictionary.com
* Refine & sort your synonyms & antonyms across 4 different filters
* Get recommendations for the “best match” words with Relevance feature
* Find a more difficult or simpler synonym with our Complexity dial
* Shorten or lengthen your synonyms with our Length feature
* Save personalized shortlists of all your favorite synonyms
* Offline access-no Internet connection needed for most content
* Audio pronunciation
* Learn new words in context with Word Origin & History
* Improve your writing with Examples & Tips (available via in-app purchase)
* Rhyme and sort by exact syllable count with Rhymes & Syllables (available via in-app purchase)
What's New in Version 1.1
Updated for iOS7
30,000 new words & synonyms added
1,000 synonyms for modern words like epiphany & stakeholder that cannot be found in any other thesaurus
Better than any Dictionary app. Swap today to using a Thesaurus instead!
“Better than any Dictionary app. Swap today to using a Thesaurus instead!”
I use this rather than a dictionary, more often than not.
I LOVE that this thesaurus includes MULTI-WORD VOCAB as searchable content; no more googling for iffy explanations of turns of phrase!
My only want after all this time using Thesaurus Rex regularly, is that I wish there was a Mac OS application integrated version or the ability to download your favorited entries & accompanying synonyms, antonyms, & rhyming words in a PDF layout; my only suggestion. Otherwise, start using this user-friendly thesaurus today & you'll soon leave dictionary apps behind for easier to understand answers to what a word means in any given context by finding a close synonym with which to replace your unknown word or misunderstood usage of a word you thought you knew.
While dictionaries can often be strict interpretations of vocabulary definitions; sometimes you need a more reliable source to figure out what your word means— This app will help! 4.995 Stars.
So much potential, please keep improving!
Okay so I don't usually write app reviews but I am hoping I get lucky and my feedback is heard bc this app could be perfect and amazingly useful with just a few small but detrimental changes, I want this app to be my one go to when writing and it's so close if... 1) there was a small spot to write a note, a sticky note would be amazing
2) the rhyming lists were complete! I constantly catch numerous words that were somehow looked over instead it says no available rhymes for this word, c'mon that's lame! Please fix!
3) the dictionary, example sentence and almost all the add ons are a total rip off and an insult to your customers (I unfortunately bought every one took one look and then immediately regretted each purchase) but I just can't delete yet bc I love the concept so much and if the dictionary add on wasn't a scam and actually worked it would be huge!
Please fix/update and if gladly give 5 stars! Oh and it would be nice to be able to move around/edit/organize the starred word list!
Love the presentation but would like more content
The one thing I hate most about thesaurus apps is that they just throw all the together in one messy paragraph. T-Rex is refreshing in its approach, the adjustable list format is brilliant and it's my go to app.
However, the volume of suggestions offered doesn't even come close to the "English Thesaurus" app, so if I'm not satisfied with T-Rex's suggestions, I fire that one up.
It would be nice to have it all in one app but we don't live in a perfect world. ;) Both apps are reasonable priced and make for a great combination - one for quick, convenient lookups and the other for an in-depth lookup. I recommend getting both.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 04, 2013
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 37.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- Dictionary.com, LLC. Copyright © 2013. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Rhymes & Syllables upgrade$1.99
- Examples & Tips upgrade$1.99