This American Life for iPad
By Public Radio Exchange (PRX)
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This American Life is a hit public radio show and one of the most popular podcasts in the country.
The iPad app gives you on-demand access to episodes, including the entire archive going back to the program's launch in 1995. That's more than 425 hours of stories - plus several exciting features not included in the iPhone app!
Highlights and differences between the iPad and iPhone app:
* Single button play for individual stories within an episode
* Download THREE shows at a time for free, for listening when you don't have network access
* "My Dashboard" section organizes shows you've downloaded or marked as favorite or heard
* Full show descriptions including acts
* Live stream Twitter integration
* Expanded contributor information
* New Extras: Comic Book, DVD Commentaries, Photos and more
* Improved audio playback and scrubbing
And you still get all the iPhone features:
* Every new episode automatically added to the app
* Listen to the weekly Live stream
* Staff favorites lists
* Contributor lists make finding episodes from your favorite people easier
* iPod integration: the app will pull in your podcasts also
* Links to buy episodes in iTunes
* Audio/Video extras
* Blog with show news and events
* Mark episodes as Heard and Favorites
* Facebook and Twitter integration
* Lists of This American Life TV episodes, with promos and iTunes download links
This American Life is mostly true stories of everyday people, but it's also really hard to describe. Here's what it's not: It's not a news show or a talk show or a call-in show. Instead, it contains stories that are like little movies for radio. There are funny moments and emotional moments and moments where the people in the story say interesting, surprising things about it all. It's a public radio show for people who don't necessarily like public radio. It's won all of the major broadcasting awards. It's produced by Chicago Public Radio and distributed by Public Radio International.
Your purchase of this app helps fund This American Life.
What's New in Version 1.115
* Restoring currently playing episode and playback position after app close and relaunch
Great shows, not a bad app
I love the radio show, and I purchased this app mainly to support it. I like the offline playback function, which has helped me through a few long bus rides.
My pet peeve is the auto replay feature. Why would anyone assume this is the preferred default behavior is beyond me. I enjoy the show, but I can't think why I would want to listen to it twice in a row. Please change this, or at least make it optional!
I have had no problem with the streaming so maybe they have fixed it now. It works without any problems and of course the material is world class. The best radio work being done today.
Love the stories
Previous reviewers have indicated issues. I download random episodes for my commute. Since I am not trying to stream it i don't have issues.
This American Life always has great stories.