Thor Polysonic Synthesizer
By Propellerhead Software AB
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Thor for iPad puts the mighty Thor synthesizer at your fingertips.
“A truly must-have synth for iPad users of all skill levels” – Keyboard Magazine
"A Synth-Geek’s Dream Synth” - Synthtopia
“A game changing synthesizer for the iPad” - Dubspot
"Thor sounds just as good as its bigger sibling, and its ability to share patches makes it a fantastic tool for portable sound design.” - MusicRadar
Reason's legendary flagship synth delivers a thunderous sound, god-like sound sculpting capabilities and an innovative, lighting-fast keyboard designed for iPad. Thor is a synthesis playground, a flexible sonic workhorse, but above all, an expressive musical instrument for the iPad.
• Play Reason's Thor Polysonic Synthesizer on the iPad.
• Load any of the 1000+ expertly crafted synth patches, or create your own from scratch.
• Create your sounds using a palette of multiple oscillator and filter types.
• Play Thor using an expressive touch interface keyboard with aftertouch and strumming.
• Collapse the keyboard to a key and scale of your choice, just like in Figure.
• Move your favourite patches from the iPad to your computer and use them with Thor in Reason
Thor sounds like no synthesizer you've ever heard before - and every single one of them. Where other synths use one specific form of synthesis and one single filter, the Thor polysonic synthesizer features six different oscillator types and four unique filters. What does this give you? Simply the most powerful synth ever created; an unstoppable monster of a sound generator that utilizes synthesizer technology from the last 40 years.
On the iPad, Thor comes with a specially designed interface that's optimized for touch control and the iPad screen. Cleverly designed panels expand and fold at the touch of a button to hide or reveal oscillators, filters, envelopes and more.
The app is divided into three main screens: Keyboard, Knobs and Routing.
Keyboard mode features:
• Piano keyboard with transpose and range control
• Modulation and pitch bend controls
• Assist function lets you select key and scale to highlight chord notes or to collapse the keyboard to only show the chord notes of the selected scale.
• Strum function lets you play arpeggios by holding a chord while strumming across the strum control.
• Two assignable knobs and buttons acts like performance controls
• Settings for polyphony and portamento
Knobs mode features:
• Access to all of Thor's synthesis features
• Three oscillator slots for Thor's six oscillator types: Analog, Wavetable, FM Pair, PhaseMod, Multi Osc and Noise
• Three filter slots for for Thor's four filter types: Low Pass Ladder, State Variable, Comb and Formant
• Three envelopes
• Dual LFOs
• Delay and Chorus
• The Knobs screen is divided into panels that expand and collapse at the touch of a button
• Miniature keyboard to audition your sounds as you are working on them
• Comprehensive but easy to use routing matrix lets you create complex modulation and signal flow setups
• Step sequencer with 16-steps and six channels: Note, Velocity, Gate length, Step duration, Curve 1, Curve 2
General App features:
• Patch compatible with Thor in Reason on your computer
• Move patches to and from your iPad using iTunes
• Sound bank with more than 1000 Thor patches from leading artists & sound designers (Kill the Noise, Richard Devine, Chris Petti and many more)
• Gorgeous retina display interface
• MIDI in - play Thor from an external MIDI source or from another app on the same iPad
• Audiobus compatible - stream audio from Thor to another audio app on the same iPad
• Audio in background option lets Thor keep playing in the background when working with other apps.
Note: We recommend using Thor for iPad with iPad 2 or later. Requires iOS 7.
What's New in Version 1.1.2
- updates for stability and performance on iOS 8 and 9
- updated Audiobus to 2.3.1
- fixed an issue where MIDI sources would not be reassigned properly after re-launching Thor
Incredibly intuitive and powerful!
Great port from the Reason version. The synth is so powerful that it has to be tried to be believed. The modular design gives you exacting controls over the exhaustive list of parameters and there's a great mod table to combine every source with every destination including a 'via' function. The manual was also comprehensive.
It works with my Korg Bluetooth controller so it's wireless.
It can get a bit confusing in the handoff from the Oscs to the Filters and then on to the envelopes. Read the manual carefully here as the arrows are helpful but this part is not quite so intuitive.
Overall, 5 stars without even a moment of hesitation!
Tough Competition in the 3-OSC Synths
There are three notable 3-oscillator synths in the store and this is one of them (Cassini and Magellan are the other two). The mighty Thor is extremely versatile because it covers the whole amalgam of synthesis options.
Thor's strong suit is the ability to call up an amazing quantity of synth power. From analog, FM, pulse mod, wavetable, multi-osc and noise, Thor has it all!
Another brilliant thing is the ability to route any source to any destination, just like a modular synth. The filters are great and the ability to strum chords like a guitar is a plus.
Thor is a great app for tone obsessed folks and a great option to explore all sorts of synthesis methods.
Do not feel intimidated by it, just have patience and it will reward you with beautiful sound.
THIS IS THE MONSTER
I've got all of the expensive $30 apps and this one buy far kills it. The vast panoramic of possibilities are too many to list. The sound set alone is so extensive that its worth the price of admission. My #1 app.