Thor Polysonic Synthesizer
By Propellerhead Software AB
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Thor for iPad puts the mighty Thor synthesizer at your fingertips.
“A truly must-have synth for iPad users of all skill levels” – Keyboard Magazine
"A Synth-Geek’s Dream Synth” - Synthtopia
“A game changing synthesizer for the iPad” - Dubspot
"Thor sounds just as good as its bigger sibling, and its ability to share patches makes it a fantastic tool for portable sound design.” - MusicRadar
Reason's legendary flagship synth delivers a thunderous sound, god-like sound sculpting capabilities and an innovative, lighting-fast keyboard designed for iPad. Thor is a synthesis playground, a flexible sonic workhorse, but above all, an expressive musical instrument for the iPad.
• Play Reason's Thor Polysonic Synthesizer on the iPad.
• Load any of the 1000+ expertly crafted synth patches, or create your own from scratch.
• Create your sounds using a palette of multiple oscillator and filter types.
• Play Thor using an expressive touch interface keyboard with aftertouch and strumming.
• Collapse the keyboard to a key and scale of your choice, just like in Figure.
• Move your favourite patches from the iPad to your computer and use them with Thor in Reason
Thor sounds like no synthesizer you've ever heard before - and every single one of them. Where other synths use one specific form of synthesis and one single filter, the Thor polysonic synthesizer features six different oscillator types and four unique filters. What does this give you? Simply the most powerful synth ever created; an unstoppable monster of a sound generator that utilizes synthesizer technology from the last 40 years.
On the iPad, Thor comes with a specially designed interface that's optimized for touch control and the iPad screen. Cleverly designed panels expand and fold at the touch of a button to hide or reveal oscillators, filters, envelopes and more.
The app is divided into three main screens: Keyboard, Knobs and Routing.
Keyboard mode features:
• Piano keyboard with transpose and range control
• Modulation and pitch bend controls
• Assist function lets you select key and scale to highlight chord notes or to collapse the keyboard to only show the chord notes of the selected scale.
• Strum function lets you play arpeggios by holding a chord while strumming across the strum control.
• Two assignable knobs and buttons acts like performance controls
• Settings for polyphony and portamento
Knobs mode features:
• Access to all of Thor's synthesis features
• Three oscillator slots for Thor's six oscillator types: Analog, Wavetable, FM Pair, PhaseMod, Multi Osc and Noise
• Three filter slots for for Thor's four filter types: Low Pass Ladder, State Variable, Comb and Formant
• Three envelopes
• Dual LFOs
• Delay and Chorus
• The Knobs screen is divided into panels that expand and collapse at the touch of a button
• Miniature keyboard to audition your sounds as you are working on them
• Comprehensive but easy to use routing matrix lets you create complex modulation and signal flow setups
• Step sequencer with 16-steps and six channels: Note, Velocity, Gate length, Step duration, Curve 1, Curve 2
General App features:
• Patch compatible with Thor in Reason on your computer
• Move patches to and from your iPad using iTunes
• Sound bank with more than 1000 Thor patches from leading artists & sound designers (Kill the Noise, Richard Devine, Chris Petti and many more)
• Gorgeous retina display interface
• MIDI in - play Thor from an external MIDI source or from another app on the same iPad
• Audiobus compatible - stream audio from Thor to another audio app on the same iPad
• Audio in background option lets Thor keep playing in the background when working with other apps.
Note: We recommend using Thor for iPad with iPad 2 or later.
What's New in Version 1.0.1
• Significantly reduced memory usage
• Patches now compatible with Reason 4/5
• Tempo slider is now accurate
• MIDI implementation updates
• FM Pair oscillator fixed
• Mod Dest Amp menu updated and no longer causes crashes
• Various tweaks to menu texts
Fantastic modular environment
The more I use Thor the happier I am. It has been a joy to work with. The addition of an online manual has been excellent as well.(BEWARE the Thor video tutorial in the App Store, it is garbage!)
I would still say that I dislike the step sequencer interface- it is difficult to work with, and impossible to do anything really live with. The knobs are just too small! I think it deserves its own screen in the app, and not to be lumped in with the mod matrix. I hope that can change over time though, because it does offer powerful features, just not a great interface. I have been using Thesys to control Thor, and it works great.
This is a truly powerful synth with mechanics that are true to hardware work. As powerful as a fully modular system that can be patched.
I certainly hope this is a prelude to the Reason answer to Tabletop. I'd put my money down for that. Tweaking never gets old, and I go cross eyed before realizing I have to take a break...
I've not experienced any glitches with it. I think it would be nice to have some live play note input to the sequencer for ease of programming. Perhaps we do have that and I've not discovered it. A manual or link to a manual would not be out of place.
Great app, I hope it is leading to more. The only thing that could be better than this would be a moog fully modular system or dotcom system app for ipad. One can dream...
I've got more than enough synths on my ipad already, but this one -- along with Animoog and Sunrizer -- gets heavy use. Great sound creation possibilities, sequencer lets you do some crazy stuff with the curves (although it takes some getting used to), and presets even are quite usable, not your usual collection of crap. Runs quite stable on my ipad 3 for what it's worth. To my ears it has a warmer, richer sound than a lot of the other ipad synths put there which, for whatever reason, tend to have a brittle, trebly edge to them. The UI -- with its expand button -- takes a little getting used to, but quite functional and easy to use once you're familiar with it.
I am a long time Reason user and really love Thor. That being said I have had some issues with the iPad version. First when you start the program up it recognizes my Synthstation 49 but I have to select a different input and then reselect the Synthstation in order to control Thor. Second, I tried to save a patch twice and both times it does not show up in the user patches section. Also the app sometimes won't start and shuts down randomly. Over all this is a great app idea but the bugs need worked out and there is no support page to report bugs on Propellerheads main iPad Thor website. Please fix these problems and if there is a fix let me know.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Jul 19, 2013
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 47.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Propellerhead Software AB
- © Propellerhead Software AB
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.