Air Plant Tilli-Cards
By Pamela Hyatt
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
TILLI-CARDS are a reference guide for growing Tillandsia Air Plants. Whether you are new to growing Tillandsia Air Plants or an experienced collector you will find the TILLI-CARDS app to be great resource. The commonly named “Air Plants” are actually Tillandsias. Tillandsias are a Genus in the Bromeliad Family, the same family as the pineapple. Many of these air plants grow epiphytically - on branches of trees. They are growing in popularity and this new TILLI-CARDS app will guide you to care for your air plant.
TILLI-CARDS are color coded for easily recognizing plant needs – Xeric, Intermediate or Mesic. Each card contains the following information:
- Image of each plant in bloom
- Scientific name of species, common names where applicable
- Cultivar name of hybrids
- Publisher and year published for species
- Breeder and year registered for hybrids and cultivars
- Geographical range by country
- Cultural tips
- Quick reference icons for light, temperature and moisture requirements
This App is useful and convenient for anyone wanting to learn how to grow and maintain their own tillandsia – air plant collection or explore the diversity of the Genus Tillandsia.
This application has the following features:
- Browse by swiping sideways. Tap on any image to flip the card over and view details of the plant.
- Search – Powerful search engine allows search by plant name, ID #, publisher, breeder, cultural requirements, country, elevation.
- Favorites – Ability to mark any number of cards as favorites. Use this feature to highlight your own collection, mark your wish list or select different TILLI-CARDS to do a side-by-side comparison. This is especially useful when comparing a hybrid with the parents of the hybrid.
- Sharing via – Airdrop, Message, Email, Twitter, Facebook – send any Tilli-Card to yourself & friends
TILLI-CARDS™ is the creation of Pamela Koide Hyatt, the owner of Bird Rock Tropicals, a nursery specializing in the Genus Tillandsia, since 1981. Actual physical cards were produced in 2014, converting to digital with this new app. Ms. Koide-Hyatt has explored Tillandsias in habitat for more than 30 years, discovered many species new to science, produced award-winning hybrids and travels world-wide to lecture on the subject of Tillandsias.
What's New in Version 2.1
Fixed sharing functionality.