Features of the app include reading data from your Tilt™ hydrometer, cloud logging to a variety of cloud services including Sheets, brewstat.us, brewfather.net, monitor.beer, craftmetrics.ca, and brewersfriend.com. Logging features including selectable time intervals as well as logging directly to your iPhone or iPad. Calibration features include specific gravity and ability to add/remove calibration points as needed. Auto-removal of calibration points that overlap. In addition the app supports Celsius and Fahrenheit as well as Plato and SG. Improve UI makes it easier than ever to access and share your data. We are constantly making improvements, thank you all for your feedback and support.
Bug fixes and stability improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Great concept. Still a few kinks to work out
First off: I LOVE data. Being able to watch my fermentation, know where I’m at in the process, and automagically know my ABV without having to take samples constantly is AWESOME! Kudos to the team that put this together!
That said, I believe there a still a “use ability” kinks you could (and should) smooth out:
1) API cloud keys are LONG and easily mistyped. I should be able to paste the string in the app (that I just copied from my browser on the same device). I should never have to type that string. Ever.
The fact that I can’t paste in to a field in the app is extremely frustrating.
2) this gripe is a little more difficult to implement. It would be great if you could add a small amount of writable RAM to the Tilt Hydrometer device and enable two way interaction between the app and the device. The RAM would then enable the app to write calibration points in memory so that if an app device crashed another could be brought in to continue the session.
Real world example from my current session: I was using a Fire Tablet mounted by my fermenter to log to my brew session on Brewer’s Friend. The Fire tablet decided to die and I brought in an old iPhone to replace it. It picked up the tilt and started logging to the session with no issues, but my readings are skewed now because it didn’t do the calibration.
All in all a great device that has made my brewing experience so much better! A few tweaks and it’ll be epic!
Definite improvements over original, needs temp cal
Compared to the original Tilt app,
- much easier/intuitive to enter data for your tilt (old version always defaults to RED tilt)
- like ability to edit calibration points (vice always starting over)
- ability to adjust logging time is a plus
- doesn’t create a new log file whenever tilt app gets interrupted (old version kept creating new files)
- For some reason the temp calibration is missing, seems accurate enough, but prior version had a temp cal so seems like a useful feature
- had issues getting web logging going again after app was interrupted, changing log frequency got it un-stuck
BTW—had a circuit breaker trip during my last brew and temp dropped 12 deg, tilt let me see the problem right away and allowed me know that my yeast was still working—don’t know what I would have done without the tilt data!
Overall, love the product—keep it up!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback. We are happy to hear it is working better than our original Tilt app. Something we knew needing updating. We will continue to add features and bug fixes in the months to come, including temperature calibration. Cheers!
Requires location services
I rarely have location services on since it seems to kill my battery. Annoyed that a Bluetooth device that isn’t likely to move at all requires me to turn it on. Plus, none of your business where I brew.
Just got last night and haven’t played around too much with it yet, but doesn’t seem to graph your data points in the app, but you can export them (actually have to export to really see them). Seems like I should be able to graph it out right in the app or at least easily view them. Device seems to work well, but app feels pretty basic at this point.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for you’re feedback. We don’t track or record location or use GPS features. Apple’s permission model forces us to request permission to connect to a Bluetooth device like Tilt which doesn’t actually connect rather broadcasts color, SG, and temperature, none of the data is unique or revealing of location. For some reason receiving a broadcast requires Location Services. There are other sensor Beacon products in the market that require the same permissions for no reason other than Apple requiring it.
- BARON BREW EQUIPMENT, LLC
- 20.7 MB
- Food & Drink
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © Baron Brew Equipment, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.