By Niko Kramer
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Timelime is the easiest and most beautiful way to track and visualize your working hours.
Timelime is the perfect assistant for:
◦ Freelancers and independent contractors who have to track their time spent on projects
◦ Students who want to spend more time studying by monitoring their daily/weekly/monthly workload
◦ Individuals who are interested in how they spend their work time
◦ People who wish to reduce the amount of time not being productive
◦ Anyone else who likes simple yet powerful time tracking and visualization
Timelime’s key highlights are:
UNOBTRUSIVE INTERFACE - When timing, Timelime hides away in the menu bar. Even the menu bar icon is customizable to make it as unobtrusive as you like. Start and stop the timer from the menu bar or by a hotkey.
TASK GROUPING - Organize your tasks by groups using simple drag and drop. Timelime supports up to two levels of subtasks.
CALENDAR VIEW - View your daily work activity in a unique continuous calendar, which also allows you to select date ranges for review.
BEAUTIFUL CHARTS - Whether you want to display your workload in a bar, line, or pie chart, Timelime enables you to generate customizable and beautiful charts.
CONSISTENCY ACROSS TIME ZONES - Are you working in different time zones? Timelime automatically takes care of time shifts; your timings and reports will always be time zone independent.
INTELLIGENT IMPORT - Never worry about duplicate tasks or timings when importing any Timelime data.
EXPORTING - Timelime offers selective export of both your data to CSV or XML, and your charts to PDF, PNG, or JPG for easy import into your reports.
INTUITIVE INTERFACE - Timelime makes time tracking intuitive with its clean and simple interface. Start time tracking right away. It just works!
• Retina display support
• Idle time detection
• Undo/Redo support
• Adapts to localized date and time formats
• Import data from TicToc App
• Add notes to your tasks and timings
• Manually add, edit, or delete timings
• Backup and restore your data
• Automatically merge timings by day
Please note that Timelime currently only supports the Gregorian calendar.
We’d love to hear from you!
You can reach us by sending feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions or feature requests please start a public or private discussion at http://support.timelimeapp.com.
What's New in Version 1.1.1
- minor fixes for OS X 10.9
- doesn't require discrete graphics anymore
Thanks everyone for your support.
The next major update is still in development.
A waste of $15
Read a great review online and saw enthusiastic customer reviews here, so I bought the app. However, it's absolutely not ready for prime time:
1. Counterintuitive, inconsistent design. It took me several minutes just to figure out how to do basic tasks like add a time to my project, and I'm not an inexperienced Mac user. Considerable design space (all the buttons and the custom keyboard shortcuts) are devoted to a proprietary and unnecessarily complex selection mechanism that deviates from the standard OS X selection method (i.e. click to select one, shift-click to select a range, apple-click to select noncontinuously). Furthermore, this system requires that selection and focus operate independently, which creates all kinds of confusing situations.
2. Poor keyboard support. Most basic tasks have no keyboard commands.
3. Some keyboard commands (e.g. ⌘N for a new task) are undocumented.
4. Overall very limited in the kinds of basic functions one would expect from an app like this. No way to edit a task end time, for instance.
5. The user interface, specifically, is limited. Project titles have a limit of about 60 characters, and the sidebar can't be resized. No way to get the app to run in normal windowed mode (defaults to menu bar mode).
6. Plenty of bugs. Some keyboard shortcuts set in preferences fail silently. Reordering of projects does not work as expected and new sub-projects self-generate when items are moved.
This app will hand you the truth. Beautifully.
I’m not a freelancer, nor a student. I fall under the category of folks who want to stop wasting a ridiculous amount of time. My new year resolution is to increase my productivity. In early December, I began searching for tools that would easily capture my current work (or slack) habits. I stopped at Timelime. It did the job and did it beautifully.
I now challenge myself to increase my productivity by five minutes daily, which is easily discernible from the overview of daily work hours. I’ve also a diverse set of projects, some more engaging than others. The bar and pie charts provide immediate feedback as to whether I’m giving each project its due attention.
The developer is crazy responsive and the support, thus far, is top notch.
I look forward to future updates!
A very good timing app, not yet great, but great support
This app is very pleasant and efficient to use. It does have some bugs (if you assign two global hot keys, only the last one assigned works), but the developer is constantly working on the app, which is more than can be said of another app I’ve used…overall, I’m enjoying using it, and looking forward to changing my rating to 5 stars, once a few more bugs are worked out (also, the notes don’t seem to export…). Thanks to the dev, and keep up the good work!