The TOBY (Therapy Outcomes By You) early intervention app has been designed to teach parents how to easily embed autism therapy into their daily routine. The play based activities are aimed at children with autism with a developmental age of a 2-4 year old.
The unique and revolutionary download consists of a comprehensive 'how to' guide, 330 play based interactive activities; 30 x on screen & 300 x real life, with benefits to both parents and children. Activities are drawn from a curriculum tree and become dynamically available as your child completes pre-requisite tasks. By having a dynamic curriculum, TOBY is able to adapt to your child's learning and developmental needs by choosing goals and adjusting the difficulty of tasks to maximise your child's ability to progress with confidence and ease.
This best practice evidence based program was designed and led by Professor Svetha Venkatesh from Curtin & Deakin Universities in consultation with an experienced team of allied health staff from Autism West including psychologists, speech pathologists and occupational therapists.
Read real user reviews:
"If someone asked me to pick just one "Autism App" - excluding essential AAC apps for communication for a moment - this would be the one I would recommend first." - Amy of Special Apps, Special Kids
"…what makes TOBY unique and superior is that these activities are integrated seamlessly and progressively in one program and it adapts to the individual child.” - The iMums, TOBY Playpad Review October 2012
TOBY’s syllabus targets your child's development in key areas:
> Social Skills,
> Sensory Discrimination, and
> Cognitive Skills.
In a number of ways:
> On-iPad tasks for your child alone,
> On-iPad tasks for you and your child to complete,
> Games and rewards, and
> Real-world activities, including play activities and daily tasks.
Based on TOBY’s recommendations you choose what tasks you want to complete each day, and based on your child’s results, TOBY will generate suggestions for the following day’s activities.
A typical day with TOBY might include time on the iPad totaling 20 minutes, and a similar amount of time doing other TOBY-directed tasks that weave into your daily routines and your child’s play interests. Each day you may choose to do, for example, up to two or three activities to complete in total. The amount of activities you do is guided by you and your child.
TOBY is designed for children:
• With a diagnosis of Autism or Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS).
• Who may or may not have an Intellectual Disability or Developmental Delay.
• Communicating mostly through gestures, behaviours (such as hand leading, bringing items), sounds, single words or early two-word phrases.
• Able to sit at a table for a short period of time (up to 10 minutes at a time) and/or has some familiarity with a computer.
• Needing help with early social and play activities.
Children without an autism spectrum disorder and who are in the early phases of learning may also benefit from TOBY’s program. This includes children with a developmental delay or language disorder.
TOBY’s activities can be easily transferred into your child’s everyday life and can be used in a range of settings:
• Learning can easily occur, for example, within the home, at the park, at grandparent’s houses, or in the car – any settings where your child is able to engage in either on-iPad or off-iPad activities. The only limit is your imagination.
• Therapists may like to use TOBY to complement current intervention goals. It is especially helpful in guiding parents with home-based and community-based activities to help generalize a range of important learning skills.
• Teachers may like to use TOBY within the classroom and playground settings to help individual and / or groups of students achieve learning success.
- New App Preview Video
- iOS 9 Compatibility Checks
- iPad Pro Initial Support
- Added Daily Auto sync to prevent loss of data
- Product name changed to TOBY Autism Therapy
- Overhauled the therapy interface to provide a simpler and more user friendly experience.
- Major language overhaul to make the difference between therapy activities easier to understand
- Improved and simplified our help section
- Simplified registration process
- Lots of minor tweaks and fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I'm using this now and I can't say enough good about it. The iPad activities are short and relevant, which is excellent, but the best aspect is the support for practice and reinforcement with daily life activities. I don't want my child spending all day working on an iPad. With TOBY she spends perhaps 20 minutes at the iPad, and the remainder of the time we work in practice as opportunities arise during the day. This app shows all the features you'd expect from a development team working with a solid research base and creativity. Wow.
This is one powerfull app for kids that are early learners or those children that are newly diagnosed on the autism spectrum. The program is laid out systematically to guide you in helping your child achieve the needed skills to enhance future learning in and out of a classroom. Toby teaches What to do, How to do, and Where you do it through - Solo tasks (tasks that a child can complete on the iPad), Partner tasks (tasks that a child is prompted and learns from a partner), and Natural Environment Activities (tasks that a child can practice or learn in a variety of settings) so that they can integrate or generalize the material. Once a child has accomplished a set group of tasks and activities, the program tailors the next logical step for the child. What is really great about this program is that there are opportunities to generalize learning in daily life - using the customs and rituals of family, play, and community. Too often I have seen parents overwhelmed by flashcards and tabletop activities...and not being able to partake in their children's learning experiences because the significance to what the lessons are about are not fully explained or realized. TOBY provides parents and care givers that link in bringing that learning to life in their child's or family's natural environment. For clinicians I think this program is helpful for tracking or providing and/or adapting the suggestions for activities for the family. I would definitely recommend this app and feel it is well worth the investment.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.