Toggl Desktop is a desktop app for leading time tracking tool Toggl. The Desktop app is a great companion for time tracking and productivity as it has advanced features like:
- Idle detection
- Tracking reminder
- Pomodoro timer
It also supports keyboard shortcuts, has a menubar widget and works great offline.
- New syncing logic with totally non-blocking background syncing
- Edit popup now always points to correct item in the list
- Remove all old notifications when a new one is triggered
- Improved field focusing logic in edit popup
- Improved timer description focus logic on the first load
- Improved client id setting when creating a new project
- Improved idle detection with screen lock/unlock
- Fixed random entry list scrolling issues
- Fixed frozen project field issue in edit view
- Fixed signup country select validation
- Fixed styles for Dark Mode
- Fixed cursor color issue in the login view
- Fixed client name grouping issue in autocomplete
- Fixed timer description clear on stop issue
- Fixed issue with the invalid edit view opening
- Fixed data overwrite issues in timer
- Fixed syncing issues that appeared after changing network or going offline
- Fixed window dragging issue when 'on top' setting is enabled
- Fixed issues with edit view reload not loading new data
Ratings and Reviews
Data entry and cloud sync issues
The app will often go offline and not record data even if the computer is connected to the internet. All of my time tracked yesterday has now vanished today. There are data entry issues each time. For instance, the "description" does not always autopopulate, while the project usually does. If you choose a description not associated with another project, it gets confused and changes the project. Data is not truly synced across all devices. The laptop is showing different time entries than desktop, and when you try to modify the time entry by starting or stopping on a smartphone, the changes do not cascade across all devices. There is also no pomodoro support on mobile even though it is offered on desktop. Request submitted over a year ago for this feature. You pay for what you get. On the plus side, the pomodoro feature is nice and will automatically stop and begin a pomodoro break once the pomodoro has ended.
Lockup and Freeze
The only way to use this on a Mac is to use the website. The app constantly freezes and causes the beach ball to appear. Clicking on any part of the UI causes it to freeze / crash. When trying to quit the app it freezes again (or causes the whole Mac to freeze requiring a hard restart). Does not happen with any other app or program. It does track time once it’s done having it’s fit on startup. But if you need to edit anything in the time window, go to the website instead -> the app often fails and crashes here.
Project selection is finally fixed
The latest update is great. You took a great product, and eliminated one of my few remaining pain points: namely that typing the name of the project into the project selection field didn’t always work. The whole product works well for me now.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.