Tokyo Subway for iPad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Tokyo Subway for iPad application is a comprehensive guide to traveling through Tokyo in Japan.
Tokyo Subway for iPad is recommended by the Financial Times and the Los Angeles Times.
- Map of Tokyo Metro. Landscape and portrait modes are available.
- Precise location of each station on the map (with a red circle), and also on Google Map.
- A bookmark manager allows you to save your stations and routes.
- The trip planner tool allows you to find automatically the best route to get to your destination with Tokyo Metro. Travel time is also estimated. To get better Route results, please switch into Best Route in the settings of the application.
- Interactive map to choose your stations for the route.
- The route planner included in this application does not require a network connection to operate.
- The application locates the nearest stations from your position in Tokyo. It is possible to increase or decrease the distance of localization in the settings.
- You can provide an address in Tokyo, the application indicates the stations closest to that address.
- The application is fully compatible with Google Map. It is now possible to locate the nearest stations from your position on Google Map within the application, each station is represented by a red pin, a popup shows you the distance of localization for each station, and it's updated live via GPS as you walk in the streets of Tokyo!
- It is now possible to add new Point of Interest (POI) databases to Tokyo Subway application via in-app purchase. These options allow you to activate American Style Restaurants POI, Japanese Style Restaurants POI, Coffee, Pastry & Ice Cream POI, Leisure POI and Convenience Stores POI in Tokyo. You will be able to locate all nearby POI on Google Map.
- The application is available in English, French, Spanish, Deutsch and Japanese.
Thank you for taking the time to report any bugs or to request an enhancement to Tokyo Subway for iPad application. Feedback is very important to us. We will do our best to answer queries. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Does not seem useful
Maybe I'm missing something (I have not used this in Tokyo yet but will next week), but this really doesn't seem all that useful. It has the same subway map I swear I've seen all over and is in no shortage when I'm there. To use it's features with google maps, won't that eat up huge amounts of a hyper expensive international data plan?
Using the planner etc is not very intuitive. There's no real instructions or directions. In contrast, using the google map's features for planning trips does seem very intuitive.
I would be more impressed if this contained any kind of real offline google maps style map. What I really need is a Tokyo map that will not chew through my data plan ($70 for a mere 50mb?). This does not appear to suffice for that and even tries to operate in conjunction with google maps and not supplant the need for it.
If it turns out I'm missing something and this is actually very useful I will update my review. Unfortunately, I'm not expecting it to help at all as a visitor.
I'm in Tokyo now but even with WiFi and Location Services on, the app can't locate anything! Do I have to activate an International data plan? That would be economic suicide! What a waste. I had even purchased quite a few of the optional location modules. None of these work so far.
At least the co-founder answered my emails quickly. While on WiFi, I had to go out of the app, open Google Earth, find my location, then quit, then reopen the app in order for the localization settings to begin to work. What I saw was fine, as far as that goes while on WiFi, however I still feel that the description of the app is misleading. May I suggest that they state up-front that connection to the internet is REQUIRED for it to work? In addition, the app would be far more useful if maps of the region you expect to travel to could be pre-loaded, so that the GPS could function and show the location even while out of internet connection. At the very least, allow snapshots of location POIs to be stored on the app.
Live Saver in Tokyo
This app was invaluable on my trip to Tokyo. 5 stars all the way. The subway system in Tokyo seemed daunting to me, being an Los Angeleno use to driving everywhere, but this app made it super easy. I used the Route feature most. Barely had to use 3G, everything I needed was in the little app to find my way around Tokyo. Wish they'd add the Yurikamome line, but I suppose that's not exactly a subway.
- Category: Travel
- Released: May 12, 2010
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 1.8 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish
- Seller: Presselite
- © Presselite
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.2 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Leisure POI Pack$0.99
- American Style Restaurants POI Pack$0.99
- Convenience Stores POI Pack$0.99
- Coffee, Pastry & Ice Cream POI Pack$0.99
- Japanese Style Restaurants POI Pack$0.99