By HPC Technologies, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Read your own ebooks or download new titles for free. Tomes (formerly BookShelf) is an e-book reader which provides many features that set it apart in the AppStore:
* Hands-free auto-scrolling
* Download supported formats direct from the Internet or save any web page for later reading
* Built-in access to FeedBooks.com, the Baen / Webscription.net library and Project Gutenberg
* Handles large multi-megabyte ebooks without a problem
* Supports Numerous ebook formats with images & formatted text (see below for list)
* Transfer your own ebooks from any Mac, Windows, or Linux computer (WiFi Required)
* Follow Hyper-links in documents
* Lookup works in on-device dictionary or on Wikipedia
* Search book contents
* Table of Contents & custom bookmarks
* Custom color, font, and background pattern themes
* Plain text (in various character encodings) [DL]
* HTML [DL]
* Palm OS (Plucker, PalmDoc, and most Mobi, no-DRM) [DL]
* ePub (no-DRM) [DL]
* FB2 [SS]
* CHM & MHT [SS]
* RTF, MS-Word DOC (not DOCX) [SS]
* PDF (text-only) [SS]
Formats marked with [SS] must be downloaded via ShelfServer on your Mac, Windows, or Linux PC (Java 1.6+ required).
Formats marked with [DL] can also be downloaded direct from the web without requiring a computer.
Using the free ShelfServer from www.iphonetomes.com, e-books with pictures and clickable links are transferred from your Mac, Windows, or Linux computer over WiFi. Books are automatically compressed and optimized for best display. Even large, multi-megabyte e-text files open and display in seconds.
Reading in Airplane Mode is no problem. No Internet connection is required once books are transferred.
Important Information on PalmOS Format Support:
Supported Palm etext formats currently include Plucker, PalmDoc (Aportis), and many non-DRM (non-encrypted) Mobi files. Most purchased Mobi files including those from mobipocket.com or Kindle will NOT work. Anything which required a "PID" or "reader ID" at time of purchase will not work. Notably, purchased Mobi files from Webscription.net and the Baen Free Library DO work fine. Support for the newer "HuffDict" compression format in Mobi files is limited. Many HuffDict files work fine, but some display with visible HTML tags and other artifacts. Other PDB and PRC file types including iSilo and eReader are NOT supported at this time.
Be sure to checkout the website (www.iphonetomes.com) for instructional videos and tutorials. Email email@example.com or use the support forums on the website if you need any help.
What's New in Version 3.2
• iOS 7 compatibility
• Fix night mode toggle when reading a book
• Fix a crash when downloading multiple books at once
Love this app, but
With IO7, I can't create new folders (using an ipad) to sort my documents. I click Move-->New Folder then it asks me to select a parent folder, which I do, and then it prompts me to put in the name of the new folder. However, there is no place to type it in, and my keyboard does not come up. So I have to 'cancel'.
Update for ISO 7 needs help
I love Tomes, never had even a hint of a problem with it until the latest update. Since then my ipad has completely frozen while using it & needed a reset and now, mid chapter, the app closed & won't open.
Great reader for legacy ebooks
I have used this program for a number of years to read all the legacy ebooks I bought (starting back in 2000 on my palm pilot, blackberry, ... iThing). Mostly these are books from Baen, but there are few others scattered in there. It has a few warts (no cover art until you actually open the book for one), but the most annoying one around day / night was fixed in a recent update. Works fine on my iOS 7 iphone 4S, and older versions have worked fine on my iPads, but mostly I use it on the iPhone, so your milage may vary. Biggest feature that is lacking is an easy way to sync via the cloud across my devices (like I can do with the the Kindle app and actual Kindle's). I wish there were more updates, but other than most recent one around iOS 7, it appears the developer has largely moved on to other works.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Oct 01, 2013
- Version: 3.2
- Size: 9.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: HPC Technologies, Inc.
- © 2008-2013 HPC Technologies, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.