TonalEnergy Chromatic Tuner and Metronome
By Sonosaurus LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
TonalEnergy Chromatic Tuner and Metronome is an all-inclusive application designed for the pro musician to the beginning player. Whether you play a brass, a woodwind, a string instrument, or any member of the guitar family, this application can help you improve your skills. It is so much more than just a tuner!
The tuner responds to all instrument types in the pitch range from C0 to C8. Features include the target tuner display, a dedicated string tuning screen, eight octave keyboard (iPad only), chromatic wheel, and a tone generator that includes high quality multi-sampled instruments for symphonic brass and woodwinds, which is unique among all other tuning applications.
The user-friendly multi-function metronome provides the meter and subdivision options that you'll most often need, quickly accessible at any time.
The analysis page includes frequency and harmonic energy plots, along with a scrolling waveform display, all of which aid the players or ensemble to “see” as well as hear their sound. Audiobus and MIDI features allow the sound library to be used with compatible music notation and recording apps.
While musicians strive to improve their sounds and skills, the TonalEnergy Chromatic Tuner and Metronome makes practicing more effective and fun.
• Large colorful animated tuner on all three tuner screens
• Bright flat/sharp indicators when tones are very out of tune
• Highly responsive to wind instruments, as well as acoustic and electric string instruments
• Separate orchestral string and guitar tuning modes
• Extensive tuning list for all standard fretted string instruments and many more features specifically designed for a string tuner
• An expandable eight octave piano keyboard for the iPad that enhances many of the key aspects of the tuner’s functions
• Indicators of note name, octave, cents offset, and frequency are seen on each page of the tuner
• Instantly changes between equal, just and other custom temperaments, including user-defined ones
• Recognizes a very large pitch range, extending to lower registers than many competing tuners (C0 - C8)
• Chromatic wheel tone generator, with optional auto-vibrato feature
• Major/minor chords and polyphonic chords
• Generates a pitch reference note using the TonalEnergy instruments or waveforms
• Frequency and Harmonic energy overtone graphs, along with a multi-function waveform display with recording and playback, including TIMESTRETCH
• Metronome tempo controls up to 300bpm, with tap-tempo, 6 subdivision choices, 23 simple, compound, and duple/triple meters, and visual flash
• Various notation options including standard English, Solfege, Northern European, and Indian variants
• External MIDI keyboard control support via CoreMidi and Akai Synthstation 25, as well as virtual MIDI, and background operation
• Audiobus and inter-app audio support to allow analyzing the output of other applications, or streaming output to other music notation and recording applications
• Recording feature to create exercises using the TonalEnergy instruments or your own, exportable via iTunes sharing, email, AudioCopy, SoundCloud, or Open In another app
• Import songs from iTunes Library, or email attachments
• Automatic or manual transposing options
• Compatible with external microphones and clip-on vibration sensor using an interface adaptor cable
• Supports external video output for displaying all tuner screens to an external display for use in classrooms or rehearsal halls
• Universal app, with all device orientations supported
• Bluetooth output support
• VoiceOver support for the blind or visually impaired
• Adjustable A=440Hz reference
• Piccolo, Flute
• Oboe, English Horn, Bassoon
• Eb, Bb/A Soprano Clarinet, Bass Clarinet
• Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Baritone Saxophone
• French Horn
• Tenor and Bass Trombone
• Euphonium and Tuba
• Square, sawtooth, and sine waveforms
• Plucked Strings
What's New in Version 1.4.2
- Fixed issue with background mode enabled to allow metronome to continue playing
- Fixed “port unavailable” issue with Audiobus
- Metronome volume now persists on app restart
- Added input channel select for tuner
- Compatibility updates for iOS8
- Updated to support new Audiobus SDK, adding IAA support
- Added sine wave instrument by user request
- Improved VoiceOver support for blind and visually impaired users
Don't forget to update your reviews and ratings for the new version, it really helps! Also, please send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or concerns, as developers cannot respond to user reviews in the App Store.
Much more than just a tuner
This app has a fully adjustable tuner that is easy to read and that smiles at you when you are in tune.
But this app is much more that just a tuner. It has a robust metronome, a recording function so you can check your intonation and tone after the fact, the option to import audio and playback specific sections at variable speeds (perfect for practicing with accompaniment, conducting, and, of course, transcription), and a detailed amplitude and tonal energy analysis which is extremely useful for balancing tone and dynamics across the range of your instrument. It lets you employ all of these simultaneously, if you like
And that isn't all! But those are the main things I use it for. The functions are all very simple to access and understand. I can't recommend this app more.
This is the one
I unconditionally recommend this app for musicians. It has everything you could want...seriously! Most feature rich I have ever seen.
ONE ISSUE: The metronome unit increments are by ONES only. This means that there is no way to know/use "standardized" metronome markings (ex: 60, 63, 66, 69, 72, etc). I think it would a pretty simple addition to allow users to toggle back and forth between 'step-by-ones' and 'step-by-increments' of yesteryear's metronomes. I know the Korg TM-50 can do it,
One more thing: the Tunable app still has one thing over Tonal Energy: vibrato tracking. Tunable's visual feedback in the form of a wiggling line (like a seismograph) is superb for monitoring the width and speed of vibrato. Tonal Energy's waveform visual feedback is only good for volume and general pitch class, but is not great for gradations of pitch over time.
Time for an update
This tuner has the most promise of all the options you'll find in the App Store. The tuner works great, has a simple visual scheme that makes it easy for you or your students to use.
Right now the biggest drawback is the battery drain in the background. Since the app hasn't been updated for more than a year, it seems that it doesn't play as nicely with the battery as it should. If I have the app open as a tuner for two minutes and then close it, I'll find an hour later that the battery in my device has markedly drained. Often times when I check the battery status sheet on my phone, it shows that on the order of 30% of my last 24-hour battery usage has been TE Tuner running in the background. There is an option for turning off background audio within the TE app, but that doesn't seem to change battery drain.
It's a little unfortunate, because this is the most-used tool for me in my classroom. But, it has become a serious nuisance to have to remember to double-tap the home button at some point after a class and manually close down the app.
I'm hoping that very soon the developers give this app a little needed TLC. This could easily regain its title as the reigning champion of music education apps.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Oct 17, 2014
- Version: 1.4.2
- Size: 45.1 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Sonosaurus LLC
- © 2014 TonalEnergy
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.