For musicians from pros to beginners, whether you sing, play a brass, woodwind or stringed instrument or any type of guitar, this app provides a set of feature-rich practice tools that gives fun and rewarding feedback. It’s much more than just a tuner!
So what makes the TonalEnergy the best selling music practice app?
• It's an all-in-one app, with a state-of-the-art tuner, an advanced metronome, dedicated orchestral strings and guitar tuning page, a piano keyboard, sound analysis pages, and audio/visual recording capabilities.
• It’s easy to use. Options like the Target Tuner or Pitch Tracker are on all the main pages. TonalEnergy helps users create rewarding and attainable goals during a rehearsal or when working alone. Colorful analysis data pages and audio/video recording features enhance the experience of practice.
• The metronome is cutting edge. It offers unmatched flexibility in sound choices, tempo settings, meters, subdivision patterns and visual displays. Voice count-ins, the ability to create and edit preset groups and Ableton link for syncing multiple devices make this a superior tool for performers.
• Ear training possibilities are endless. The high quality multi-sampled instrument sounds for symphonic instruments are unique among all other tuning applications. Listening skills can be developed through the use of the eight-octave keyboard, chromatic wheel and tone generator. There are no other sounds like these.
• Learning is a social activity. Using features unique to the TonalEnergy Tuner, data can be collected, reviewed, edited and shared with others. Feedback is essential for growing and developing great performers. It’s all about connectivity.
Chris Coletti, member of The Canadian Brass, sums up TonalEnergy by saying,
“TonalEnergy is a must-have for any serious musician. It's a full suite of tools in one app; the tuner, tone generator, recorder, metronome and beautiful interface make it one of the best tools for musicians out there, period.”
• Recognizes a large pitch range, extending to lower registers than many competing tuners (C0 - C8) that is highly responsive to wind instruments, as well as acoustic and electric string instruments
• Adjustable A=440 Hz reference
• Automatic or manual transposing options
• Instantly changes between equal, just and other custom temperaments, including user-defined ones
• Auto or instant pitch reference note feature using the TonalEnergy sounds
• Extensive tuning list for all orchestral string and fretted string instruments including many more features than most other string-only tuner apps
• An expandable eight octave piano keyboard enhancing many of the key aspects of the tuner’s functions
• Chromatic wheel tone generator, with optional auto-vibrato feature
• Frequency and Harmonic energy overtone graphs, along with a multi-function waveform
• Dedicated metronome page that matches or exceeds the features available on all other stand alone metronome apps
• Notation options including standard English, Solfege, Northern European, and Indian variants
• Bluetooth and input/output support
• Audio and Video recording capabilities including, editing, looping, timestretch that are all exportable via iTunes sharing, AirDrop, email, AudioCopy, SoundCloud, etc
• Import music from iTunes Library or email attachments
• Compatible with external microphones and clip-on vibration sensor devices
• Supports external video output to an external display for use in rehearsal halls
• External MIDI keyboard control support
• Universal app with all device orientations supported
• Audiobus and inter-app audio support
• VoiceOver support for the blind or visually impaired
• Piccolo, Flute
• Oboe, English Horn, Bassoon
• Eb, Bb/A Clarinet, Bass Clarinet
• Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Baritone Saxophone
• French Horn
• Tenor and Bass Trombone
• Euphonium and Tuba
• Square, sawtooth, and sine waveforms
• Plucked Strings
New in version 1.6.1:
- Added manual language selection option in preferences
- Improved selection of tempo change +/- control when held down, including restoring option for original behavior
- Various bug fixes and updates
From previous version 1.6:
- Added new Note Staff view on analysis page for viewing your tuning in a standard music notation format
- Improved immediate history scroll back on Analysis waveform plot, can now see previous 60 seconds of audio when freezing and play it back (with loop points). Can pinch to zoom, or set the playhead by tapping/dragging near top of plot. This also works when playing back previously recorded audio files.
- Added support for remote control via AirTurn pedals and bluetooth (qwerty) keyboards, as well as MIDI controllers sending CC or PC events. See the new options in the Prefs.
- Added German, French, Spanish, Chinese translations (along with updated Japanese)
- Added 8/8, 11/8, and 4/8 meters
- Added Viola da Gamba tunings
- Added Mountatin Dulcimer tunings
- Now record in stereo if there is a stereo input attached.
- Added options in Prefs to show Smiley and Thinking faces
- New accelerando/ritardando support in metronome presets. See the revised tempo section in the preset editor. New modes for tempo include No Change, Fixed, Gradual (which lets you set start and end tempo), and Relative (which adjusts it +/- a specific BPM from previous).
- Added additional preset sequencing option "Single". The toggle button for sequencing the met is now 3-way. Off, Sequence All, and Sequence Single. The new mode stays on the current preset but executes the bar count and any tempo changes, then if looping is off it will stop, or if looping is on it will repeat, including any tempo changes.
- Now has ability to set a preset start and end for sequencing over (instead of just the whole list), long press on a preset button (when in sequence mode) for options.
- Added preset number and measure number to metronome preset lists, to ease creating sequences or set lists
- Tapping on metronome "list" button on main met page now brings up the preset groups list on iPhone. Long-pressing it brings up the current group (what it used to do when pressed normally).
- Double-tap on presets on main page brings up popup editor all the time, long-press when in auto-advance mode brings up menu to set that preset as the range start or end, or clear the range (or edit).
- Added combine preset groups feature when in Select mode, to create new groups from multiple existing ones.
- Layout changes in main metronome page (and pulldown) to make it much easier to use one-handed on iPhone.
- New popup slider/wheel controls for metronome tempo by holding down +/- tempo buttons. Defaults to slider, try the wheel by switching an option in the metronome prefs.
- Fixed issue where metronome was silent using some bluetooth speakers.
- Fixed visual metronome with /1 meters
- Fixed import of presets via Airdrop, etc to work even when tuner isn't running
- Importing metronome presets with identical name as an existing now gets unique name
- Fixed issue where preset groups couldn't be exported because of their name
- Prevented full swiping to delete preset groups (to avoid accidental deletion)
- Fixed meter menu getting stuck open in preset editor
- Fixed count-in related issues
Ratings and Reviews
Everyone needs a great metronome.
It's OK, to me the tuner is not great
This app was highly recommended by a friend, he had used it in our vocal rehearsals to give us pitches and tempos. I bought it to try and consolidate all the functions I need in to one app. Initially I found the tuner very jumpy, and I don't like the smiley face with concentric half circles tuning model at all, so I wrote a pretty harsh review. The developer contacted me and pointed out the string tuning mode, which I initially couldn't find because it's not in the tuning section; it's under the sound tab. It makes it much easier to tune my guitar (and it has setting for many stringed instruments from viola to banjo) but if I try to sing long tones or play them on my trumpet, I'm back in the happy face tuner. In theory it should work but to me, the slightest pitch change in a long tone causes the rings to jump erratically. I think that the string mode rescued the app from deletion, and added one star to my rating, but I will still sing and play long tones into the free "pano tuner" rather than deal with the unhappy happy faces. Kudos to the developer for helping me find my way around the app. One more quick gripe, if I'm singing with the metronome playing, the app hears the click and reacts to it, so you essentially can't tune with the metronome on.
Developer Response ,
There is a string tuning mode that has a left/right bar style tuning model along with a string indicator for the tuning of your choice. Check it out by pressing the Sound tab button and selecting "String Tuning", then choose Guitar standard (for example) for the string tuning style.
[EDIT] - If you are often tuning your voice, you'll want to adjust the mode/range setting and use Voice mode. Find that button on the Tuner page in the lower right with the blue/green text. The voice mode smooths out the response of the tuner and widens the "smile" range to be a better fit for voice use.
Tuner is out of tune?
I compared the tuner function against multiple korg model timers and found this app to be all over the map with the tuning. Some notes that were in tune on the korg tuners were showing 15 cents flat or sharp!! That is a problem with the app. How can you have a “tuning” app out of tune? I’ll be sticking with the korg.
BTW they were both set at 440
UPDATE: I revised my original rating from 2 stars to 5. First because after a great response by the developer I discovered that I had a setting incorrect even though the Hz setting was correct. Second because of the excellent customer service! I never expected Total Energy to read my review but they did and they reacted to make sure I was satisfied. That is rare these days!!! Awesome tuner...I have since retested the App vs. the various Korg model tuners I have and they are all spot on!
Developer Response ,
This sounds pretty odd to us too! Are you sure you were using Equal Temperament and hadn't accidentally hit the alternate temperament button in the upper left corner? We can continue a troubleshooting discussion via email, please let us know more info at firstname.lastname@example.org (device, what instrument you were testing with, etc). Thanks!
- Sonosaurus LLC
- 73.3 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 TonalEnergy
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.